Mass Effect 2 Teaser Trailer

neckthrough

I love how everyone is going "NOOO! He can't be dead! I wasted all that time powerleveling to 60 because you said I could transfer my character over!" It's interesting to see how many people are seeing save transfer = character transfer.

The death won't happen. They've put too much marketing behind TEH SHEPARD to stop now. But, if Shepard did die, I'd be happy. At least she tapped some blue alien butt before she went.

I'm interested in Dragon Age, but for some reason ME2 isn't generating a great deal of excitement.

Deraldin:

"It's interesting to see how many people are seeing save transfer = character transfer. "

The developers have previously said that you play Shepard throughout the trilogy. That might have changed, but that's where the assumption comes from.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The death won't happen. They've put too much marketing behind TEH SHEPARD to stop now. But, if Shepard did die, I'd be happy. At least she tapped some blue alien butt before she went.

I'm interested in Dragon Age, but for some reason ME2 isn't generating a great deal of excitement.

Deraldin:

"It's interesting to see how many people are seeing save transfer = character transfer. "

The developers have previously said that you play Shepard throughout the trilogy. That might have changed, but that's where the assumption comes from.

ZOMG ZPOILARZ!!1

I don't like teasers in general. It's just 45 seconds of a freaking geth, yay. And I don't particularly care whether Shepard died or not, I don't think I even have my saves...

S/he wasn't that great of a character, the companions were way better. You were pretty much bland clean slate space marine.

Deraldin:

Did they actually say that you play Shepard in every game? All I remember was that you could transfer your save. Sounds plausible, what with my horrible memory and all.

Phh! Like they would actually kill off the main character the first thing they do? :sorcerer: Come on, this is a teaser trailer and this is just a setup to create some buzz. I think its quite safe to say that all rumours of Shepards death are greatly exaggerated. BioWare are no more likely to kill Shepard than Epic are to kill Marcus Phoenix.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's actually a very interesting twist and I have to say that I'm pleasently suprised that Bioware takes such a "risk" - I would prefer playing Shephard, but I respect that they have a different story to tell.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's fairly obvious that ME2's plot will be about the robots controlling the galaxy, with Shepard faking his death, to go underground and all rebel and stuff, so that the good fight against the powers that be can be fought. Boring, trite and predictable just like the first game. At least they're going for thematic unity across the trilogy, I guess.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's fairly obvious that ME2's plot will be about the robots controlling the galaxy, with Shepard faking his death, to go underground and all rebel and stuff, so that the good fight against the powers that be can be fought. Boring, trite and predictable just like the first game. At least they're going for thematic unity across the trilogy, I guess.

Wata twiist!

That would be just sad. Having each of the 3 games have different protagonists would give them room to be a bit more creative...

I think you pretty much nailed their setup there. Predictable yes, but not boring. It an entertaining space adventure action, not a nobel prize winning novel. It doesnt have to redefine sci-fi to be an awesome game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wata twiist!

That would be just sad. Having each of the 3 games have different protagonists would give them room to be a bit more creative...

Why would Bioware want to be more creative when they get all the sales and critical acclaim they need, without it?

I think you pretty much nailed their setup there. Predictable yes, but not boring. It an entertaining space adventure action, not a nobel prize winning novel. It doesnt have to redefine sci-fi to be an awesome game.

No, but it should at least be engaging, and the plot I'm predicting sounds like an instant snoozefest, which coupled with the poorly written characters and the middling action gameplay, doesn't sound like awesome to me.

Heja Sverige!!

Mass Effect was awesome. You're free to have any opinion you like, but the conensus in the gaming world is that it was an excellent game with an entertaining story.

Replacing Shepard with another PC wouldnt be creative, you would would essentially just replace one blank slate with another blank slate. The only identifying mark the character has is the name, everything else is completely changeable in every single way. With that in mind, replacing him/her makes no sense whatsoever. Not that they would ever replace Shepard, he/she is essential to the story and BioWare created Mass Effect with a sequel in mind.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Actually he flew into the unknown regions of space to fight off the real threat - the True Sith Reapers.

He was never seen again.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Wata twiist!

Why would Bioware want to be more creative when they get all the sales and critical acclaim they need, without it?

To push the envelope, to go into history, to show that the medium has more to offer than average space opera? You are probably right, though...

Replacing Shepard with another PC wouldnt be creative, you would would essentially just replace one blank slate with another blank slate. The only identifying mark the character has is the name, everything else is completely changeable in every single way. With that in mind, replacing him/her makes no sense whatsoever.

Not that they would ever replace Shepard, he/she is essential to the story and BioWare created Mass Effect with a sequel in mind.

Yeah, his/her death would have probably been shown with super slow motion and an orchestra.

Edited by Purkake

Yeah, his/her death would have probably been shown with super slow motion and an orchestra.

I think it went down like this http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/18964

Actually he flew into the unknown regions of space to fight off the real threat - the True Sith Reapers.

He was never seen again.

Mass Effect is not Knights of the old republic. Kotor was made as a standalone game whose sales made lucasarts interested in a sequel. That sequel ended up being made by a completely different company that decide to start over with a clean slate so theyd be free to do what they wanted. ME2 is a seuqel planned from the beginning and made by the exact same people who made the first game, and its been in production since before ME was released. For them to introduce a new main character at this point would completely break the cohesion of the trilogy.

Ah freck.... why am I even writing this, OF COURSE bioware are just teasing us. Its so blatantly obivous that its not even worth discussing.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

the consensus in the gaming world is that it was an excellent game with an entertaining story.

I am aware of that and I mentioned it in this thread, already. "The gaming world" is an entity that can't (won't?) do much other than point approvingly at the products with best brand management.

Heja Sverige!!

ME is awesome. ME2 will be awesome. These are two undisputable facts no matter how much one tries to dispute them.

Also, if I were to guess, Shepard isn't dead. He's obviously faked his death or simply ASSUMED to be death.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

ME is awesome. ME2 will be awesome. These are two undisputable facts no matter how much one tries to dispute them.

Behold the all encompassing power of the hivemind.

Heja Sverige!!

He was never seen again.

Mass Effect is not Knights of the old republic. Kotor was made as a standalone game whose sales made lucasarts interested in a sequel. That sequel ended up being made by a completely different company that decide to start over with a clean slate so theyd be free to do what they wanted. ME2 is a seuqel planned from the beginning and made by the exact same people who made the first game, and its been in production since before ME was released. For them to introduce a new main character at this point would completely break the cohesion of the trilogy.

Ah freck.... why am I even writing this, OF COURSE bioware are just teasing us. Its so blatantly obivous that its not even worth discussing.

I should add sarcasm tags next time. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"