NFL Season 2009

Kelverin

Utlimately, I can't argue that entering a crowded nightclub while carrying a loaded, unlicensed pistol, with a round in the chamber, with the safety off, secured only by the waistband of one's sweatpants isn't extremely reckless behavior that is deserving of criminal punishment. The severity with which such behavior is punished is up to the standards of the community in which it occurred. NYC takes its gun crimes very seriously, and their harsh treatment of such has been a contributing factor in the reduction in violent crime they've seen over the past few decades. Plax knew the seriousness of the law he was breaking (all NY area sports teams make sure to impress upon their players the consequences of taking guns into the city)-- he just thought that he was too important for it to apply to him.

Way too ahrsh. And, oh, he got a harsher penalty than most won't get. And, comapred to what otehrs get for way worse crimes, this is garbage. This is nothing but a mayor and DA punishing him because he is famous and wanting to set some lame example.

I mean, he shot himself and gets two years? WTH? You can probably get less by shooting somebody else.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...
Vick clears another hurdle, get league OK to play in Week 3

Sep. 3, 2009

NEW YORK -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick is eligible to play beginning in the third game of the regular season.

Goodell met with Vick for 45 minutes Thursday before announcing his decision. Vick, recently signed by the Eagles, played in last week's exhibition game and was expected to play against the New York Jets on Thursday night.

Previously, Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by no later than Week 6.

Vick was released from federal custody July 20 after serving 18 months of a 23-month sentence for his role in running a dogfighting ring.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Bucs fire their offensive coordiantor just a week before the season. I'm really trying to buy into what Coach Morris is doing here, the problem is I have no idea what that might be. And worse still, I think neither does he. I do know that after watching Leftwich's passes sail over his recievers heads all preseason any argument against him being the starter should not be dismissed by firing someone.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They should have kept Garcia. Morons.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure Garcia will be starting for the Raiders by week 5.

They're not giving up on Russel aready are they?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, if they go 1-3, it will be a little hard to justify not going with a proven NFL QB like Garcia.

And they will go 1-3, it's the Raiders after all.

I remember reading an interview with Warren Sapp after he retired, he said Al Davis would script plays and send them to Lane Kiffin with the names of players that had not been on the team for years. He was once found in the head coaches office looking for Art, he couldn't find Art. Apparently he was looking for Art Schell whom he fired back in the 90s. Davis is like a west coast George Steinbrenner without smart sons and staffers to keep him out of trouble.

Thomas Sowell

I remember reading an interview with Warren Sapp after he retired, he said Al Davis would script plays and send them to Lane Kiffin with the names of players that had not been on the team for years. He was once found in the head coaches office looking for Art, he couldn't find Art. Apparently he was looking for Art Schell whom he fired back in the 90s. Davis is like a west coast George Steinbrenner without smart sons and staffers to keep him out of trouble.

This stuff warms my heart. Hope Davis lives another 50+ years and continues to make all the decisions :lol:

Not even quite two seasons rmeoved from our SB, and the Giants continue their downward spiral of retardedness. Everyone knows the Giants' main weakness is recievers so we go ahead an cut Mr. Miracle Catch Man. LMAO Who the heck is Eli gonna throw to this season? An Obsidian poster? Stupid Giants.

Thankfully we have a great D, solid running game, and a good QB or else we would be Detroit bad. Eli will be lucky to average a TD per game with the crap he gets to throw to.

addenum: And, Garcia gets cut? that's crapola.

Edited by Volourn

Well, if they go 1-3, it will be a little hard to justify not going with a proven NFL QB like Garcia.

And they will go 1-3, it's the Raiders after all.

Well, you might be half right. They cut Garcia.

Thomas Sowell

Bucs trade McCown to Jags. Looks like we are stuck with left foot Leftwich. For better or worse. Let's hope for better. This is gonna be a loooong season.

Thomas Sowell

Garcia never made much sense for the Raiders. His skillset is perfect for a team that wants lots of 4-yard completions, not a run-run-run-BOMB offense like the Raiders seem to be constructing. Plus, he's 39. To the extent that there is any hope for that team, it's in their developing into a good squad 2 seasons from now. Starting a 39-year-old quarterback just so that he can retire when the rest of the team rounds into place isn't a particularly sound plan. In the interim, they might be able to go 6-10 with him, but that's not all that different from the 4-12 they can go without him, while either developing Russell or seeing enough of him to realize that they need to start over at the position.

Garcia never made much sense for the Raiders. His skillset is perfect for a team that wants lots of 4-yard completions, not a run-run-run-BOMB offense like the Raiders seem to be constructing. Plus, he's 39. To the extent that there is any hope for that team, it's in their developing into a good squad 2 seasons from now. Starting a 39-year-old quarterback just so that he can retire when the rest of the team rounds into place isn't a particularly sound plan. In the interim, they might be able to go 6-10 with him, but that's not all that different from the 4-12 they can go without him, while either developing Russell or seeing enough of him to realize that they need to start over at the position.

I'm pretty shocked they cut him. His numbers have been consistently solid over the last few years. He probably would have brought a bit of stability to a team that has been just terrible for a long time now. I'm guessing someone will pick him up. I might be biased since I had a few drinks with the guy during Spring Break way back in the day, although I thought he was a bit of a douche back then.

Chargers' Merriman arrested; battery of girlfriend alleged

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...ested/?chargers

Patriots trade veteran DL Seymour to Raiders for first-round pick

Five-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour has been traded from the New England Patriots to the Oakland Raiders, giving the rebuilding franchise a veteran stalwart up front.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Edited by Kelverin

Week one is upon us, time for the picks! You can cut and paste this one:

Titans @ Steelers

Dolphins @ Falcons

Chiefs @ Ravens

Eagles @ Panthers

Broncoes @ Bengals

Vikings @ Browns

Jets @ Texans

Jags @ Colts

Lions @ Saints

Cowboys @ Bucs

49ers @ Cardinals

Redskins @ Giants

Rams @ Seahawks

Bears @ Packers

Bills @ Patriots

Chargers @ Raiders

Thomas Sowell

Titans @ Steelers Steelers repeat begins tonight

Dolphins @ Falcons Atlanta in a close one

Chiefs @ Ravens No QB no win for KC. Ravens win big

Eagles @ Panthers Carolinas defense is good, Phillys offense is better. Eagles win

Broncos @ Bengals No real opinion on this one. Bengals

Vikings @ Browns Browns are in disarray, Vikes win

Jets @ Texans Prediction, Jets will be elimated from contention by week 9. Texans win

Jags @ Colts Gut tells me the revamped Jags running game overpowers small Indy defense. Jags win

Lions @ Saints Bad team + rookie QB on the road = Saints win

Cowboys @ Bucs Let the futility begin. Cowboys

49ers @ Cardinals I doubt they go all the way again but the Cards are way better than SF. Cards win

Redskins @ Giants This will be a great game. Giants win close

Rams @ Seahawks I wonder if anyone will watch this game? Seahawks

Bears @ Packers Bears

Bills @ Patriots This one will be ugly for Buffalo, Pats win

Chargers @ Raiders Prediction: Chargers will get more sacks than the Raiders get touchdowns. Chargers win.

Thomas Sowell

Titans @ Steelers - Steelers

Dolphins @ Falcons Falcons

Chiefs @ Ravens - Ravens

Eagles @ Panthers - Eagles

Broncoes @ Bengals - Bengals

Vikings @ Browns - Vikings

Jets @ Texans - Texans

Jags @ Colts - Colts

Lions @ Saints - Saints

Cowboys @ Bucs - Cowboys

49ers @ Cardinals - Caridnals

Redskins @ Giants - Giants

Rams @ Seahawks - Seahawks

Bears @ Packers - Bears

Bills @ Patriots - Patriots

Chargers @ Raiders - Chargers