Stealth

When does that even come in handy, I like use it like 1/1,000,000 times because there are no places (except Onderon) in which that comes in handy, now what can one skill be into use for one time of handiness. What is the point of stealth, talking both KotOR I and KotOR II, Stealth is most definitely not worth wasting skill points on for sure. And on Taris (K1), in Stealth the Rancor will still just detect you and drop it's big oafed body on you, no point. The only good time to use it is for fun, and on Onderon, the Sith device will just be too complicated and the Sith will just detect you anyway, no real point for handy use except for fun. Am I right, or does stealth really have multiple points that it comes in handy, but far as I know, to rate it on usefulness, I give it an F- . Am I correct?

deicideLogo5.jpg

There are a few places in K2 where stealth is useful - twice on Peragus, and three times on Nar Shadda - although in the latter case you can switch to another character such as Atton.

High stealth skill can also be useful for assassins, sentinels and watchmen all of whom get a combat and damage bonus if they can manage to start an attack while in stealth. However this is tricky, and useless when dealing with the bosses and scripted fights since you can't use the ability. It can also prove helpful in some places when you really just can't be bothered to get into a fight.

In K2 stealth is also used in the construction of some weapons/armour upgrades at a work bench. However you can normally just switch to characters with high stealth skills (Atton again) to make those upgrades.

As you said, for the main character stealth is not all that helpful after Peragus - a skill of 4 (after other bonuses) is more than good enough. After Peragus you can pick characters with higher stealth skill should you need it. By the time this is no longer an option you really don't need stealth skill anyway.

I suppose it really depends on how you build your characters and play the game, but you did mention one valid point being 'fun'. That should be enough, beyond the odd task that requires it, shouldn't it? I mean as powerful as say Force Choke can be (as a DS power), it seems to me more of a 'fun' throwback to Darth Vader's signature move than anything else. Think of Stealth as a Grey/LS equivalent. Don't forget that a high Stealth skill will also allow you to build some pretty nifty weapon and armour upgrades.

These are the following places where you either need to use stealth or where it is very helpful to have it.

You can raid the Huts private storeroom on Nar Shadda to get either a lightsabre or a component for a lightsabre - depending on if you already have one at that point.

However, in order to do this you need to listen into the conversation between two aliens in the flop-house (dock area). To do this you have to creep up on them while in stealth. There are also another pair of aliens who can provide some information that is useful when dealing with the hut. They are located in the bar, where you have to go to get the juma-juice needed after overhearing the conversation in the docks. As before the only way to listen into this conversation is to get close to them while in stealth.

(Note; I normally just use Atton for the above)

Stealth is also useful on Peragus, as it allows you to by pass the droids standing guard in the control centre. And later allows you to bypass the droids to access the droid-control console in the mining tunnels.

Note that the 'useful' skill level for Stealth on Peragus is 4. Since the base attribute for Stealth is Dexterity, which also aids in armour class, starting with only two points in Stealth and with a dex level of 14 (+2 modifier) will give you this. Although much depends on your class, all classes will find Dex helpful - ranged weapon skill is based off it and with the correct feat so is lightsabre skill. Further Dex increases armour class - very important since Jedi robes have little armour themselves, and heavier armour negates many force powers. Since dex modifiers are one of the most common to be found on items, and one of the best items for Dex happens to be one of the stealth field belts you can pick up, it makes sense to drop at least one point in stealth so you can equip the belt. If you are doing that you might as well drop a few points into stealth to bring the skill level up to four when the dex bonus is added to the skill.

Skill 'levels' are in blocks of 4, so you should always aim to have any individual skill as a multiple of four after attribute modifiers are added to them.

Edited by Darth Mortis

There's also at least one place on Dxun where stealth is useful, and you could make use of it on Dantooine in the sublevel, theoretically in at least one place (which would explain the '30 seconds' option on one computer. )

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

You'd think the sneak attack feat would be useful.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"