Would you ever consider making a DS game?

harry4000uk

Hi guys

I'm a huge fan of yours from back in the black isle days and I will be buying alpha Protocol as soon as it hits the PC. I was wondering though if you would ever consider making a DS game

I'm a very big fan of the DS but it still hasn't had a truly amazing WRPG. I think you guys could make an excellent game on the system, although it'd have to be pretty accesible for a lot of the people who are newer to gaming. I also think you're one of the few devs with the balls to make something truly unique for the system

Thanks in advance for your reply

I'd like to see a decent WRPG on any portable, be it DS, PSP, iPhone or whatever. That little cell phone thing John Carmack made doesn't count.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I don't know if it is such a good idea. The DS is good for turn-based combat, but as most WRPGs have real-time (with pause) it wouldn't work that well. An adventure game with Obsidian's writing talent could be good.

While I like my DS, I don't think that a serious WRPG would sell well on it. It needs more innovative stuff that makes (non-gimmicky) use of the touchscreen and mic. Hotel Dusk was awesome for example.

In one puzzle you actually had to close the DS to solve it

EDIT: No iPhone games, please. The lack of buttons is already bad enough. The app store is saturated with $.99-$2.99 crap and more expensive stuff is suffering horribly. I have an iPod Touch and I do not see it as a viable gaming platform.

Edited by Purkake

I used to own a PSP but i didn't like it very much, and also I heard that a lot of piracy happens on it which is why I said DS

I think real time combat would be fine on the DS, a lot of games on it have real time fighting and they're very good. I'd expect it to be controlled mostly with the touch scren though

I also liked hotel dusk and I'm sure a lot of the stuff from it could be incroporated. I definately hope OBsidian makes a DS RPG one day

I own one of each, So if Obsidian ever decided to do something with these systems, and it was tyte, I buy it.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I used to own a PSP but i didn't like it very much, and also I heard that a lot of piracy happens on it which is why I said DS

I think real time combat would be fine on the DS, a lot of games on it have real time fighting and they're very good. I'd expect it to be controlled mostly with the touch scren though

I also liked hotel dusk and I'm sure a lot of the stuff from it could be incroporated. I definately hope OBsidian makes a DS RPG one day

DS has a lot of piracy too. Those flashcarts are everywhere these days. Piracy pretty much just is and has always been.

If you accept piracy, then it will never go away.

It's not showing any signs of going away now when everyone is fighting it tooth and nail. It's like fighting a force of nature, the only way you can limit is by severely limiting the user access. Even that has been cracked time and time again.

Edited by Purkake

I know DS has piracy as wll but I dont think it is nowhere near as bad as PSP + the development costs are the lowest out of all the systems by far. Lets also not forget

• 100 million sold worldwide
  • Sells the most software of any handheld or console in the US

I definately wold buy a PSP if Obsidian made a game for it but that's the only thing that would get me to do it.

I know DS has piracy as wll but I dont think it is nowhere near as bad as PSP + the development costs are the lowest out of all the systems by far. Lets also not forget

• 100 million sold worldwide
  • Sells the most software of any handheld or console in the US

I definately wold buy a PSP if Obsidian made a game for it but that's the only thing that would get me to do it.

Yeah, it's hard to compare the piracy rates without any real data. I was just pointing out that DS piracy is very real.

I think the UMD is PSP's biggest downfall. They should have gone with downloadable games and flash memory from the beginning. Who was genius who put an optical drive into a portable gadget? Haven't they learned anything from portable cd players?

Yeah, it's hard to compare the piracy rates without any real data. I was just pointing out that DS piracy is very real.

I think the UMD is PSP's biggest downfall. They should have gone with downloadable games and flash memory from the beginning. Who was genius who put an optical drive into a portable gadget? Haven't they learned anything from portable cd players?

In many ways the iphone delivers on what the PSP should have been The Loco Roco clone has motion control (which loco roco was begging for) and all the games are cheap and downloadable

With the DS I think the most surprising thing is how much software it sells. Like you said piracy is bad on it. But I saw an NPD chart and overall software sales are far above both the Wii and 360, like almost twice as much

If a game needs to sell only 300k to be successful then there must be a lot of successful games out there

In many ways the iphone delivers on what the PSP should have been The Loco Roco clone has motion control (which loco roco was begging for) and all the games are cheap and downloadable

With the DS I think the most surprising thing is how much software it sells. Like you said piracy is bad on it. But I saw an NPD chart and overall software sales are far above both the Wii and 360, like almost twice as much

If a game needs to sell only 300k to be successful then there must be a lot of successful games out there

Yeah, DS games sell like hotcakes if there is enough marketing behind it. Making a DS games is most certainly a better investment than a PSP game.

The iPhone/Touch delivers in pixel pushing power and infrastructure(App store), but it is sorely lacking in interface. Games like Rolando(the Loco Roco clone) work well, but there are a lot of things that suffer horrible from the lack of buttons. Covering up half the screen with your fingers and tilting the thing around isn't going to work for most current types of games. iPhone will probably be more of a testing ground for the new technologies than a serious platform. It is very hit and miss at the moment.

Yeah, DS games sell like hotcakes if there is enough marketing behind it. Making a DS games is most certainly a better investment than a PSP game.

The iPhone/Touch delivers in pixel pushing power and infrastructure(App store), but it is sorely lacking in interface. Games like Rolando(the Loco Roco clone) work well, but there are a lot of things that suffer horrible from the lack of buttons. Covering up half the screen with your fingers and tilting the thing around isn't going to work for most current types of games. iPhone will probably be more of a testing ground for the new technologies than a serious platform. It is very hit and miss at the moment.

Hit the nail on the head. I tried playing this racing game and it was an exercise in frustration. Another problem with the iphone is the fact that there are only one or two gems in a sea of rubbish

The games are a lot less substantial than DS games as well

but yeah a DS game controleld with the touch screen from obsidian would be great. Sega are kicking major ass on the DS right now so i'm sure they'd be happy to publish

Edited by harry4000uk

• 2 weeks later...
Only if its Tetris or Super Mario.

Tetris: The Role Playing Game.

7 races (red, white, magenta, green, dark blue, cyan, brown )

7 classes (I, J, L, O, S, T, Z.)

No RPG can boast such customizable characters!

You play as the chosen tetronomino, raised from childhood by a unique monastic order tasked with solving social ills of the world by uniting the 7 races to form a powerful block to fight against the oncoming oblivion that threatens the world from the Edge of the Screen.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You play as the chosen tetronomino, raised from childhood by a unique monastic order tasked with solving social ills of the world by uniting the 7 races to form a powerful block to fight against the oncoming oblivion that threatens the world from the Edge of the Screen.

...Only to find out that once all the 7 races are united they disappear into the void and the vicious cycle begins anew. Now tetronomino must find a way to break the cycle and destiny itself, lest he be stuck in the loop for all eternity.

Hmm, that plot is better than 70% of games out there... :(

Edited by Purkake

...Only to find out that once all the 7 races are united they disappear into the void and the vicious cycle begins anew. Now tetronomino must find a way to break the cycle and destiny itself, lest he be stuck in the loop for all eternity.

Hmm, that plot is better than 70% of games out there... :sorcerer:

This plot, just beat Halo's with its complexity.

Add a new hero class (the "F") and you've got one awesome game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm surprised at how good I find this story. Seriously.

Hmm...

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.