Hired Guns:Jagged Edge

Slowtrain

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...?q=hired%20guns

metacritic has nothing at the moment.

It appears a blatant ripoff of Jag 2 (with the emphasis on blatant), which could be good or could be bad. I saw it at BEst Buy and am skeptical but curious.

Anybody have any xp with it?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm curious if anyone played it?

I had some less than positive experiences with those string of XCOM rip-off games a few years ago, which weren't awful but were ultinately a waste of money.

That tiny number of reviews at MC isn't very helpful.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Losing breath is not something even the hardcore fans of the turn-based games were forced to deal with a lot, but it is a crucial element in Hired Guns:

I can't trust reviews that say stuff like this, since losing breath was actually a huge factor in Jag 2. Most of the mercs who died in my campaigns did so after neing incapicitated by breath loss, either from stun grenades, explosives, or just from sustaining heavy repeated fire while wearing full Spectra.

Yeah I know, don't judge a game by its screenshots, but it just looked "sterile" somehow. None of the charm of JA2. Does it even have destructable buildings?

I fear we will never get a game like JA2 again :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Everyone who liked JA2 should make the jump to Silent Storm and Sentinels pseudo-sequel. Unless the one thing in JA you liked was the funny 80's action movie setting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Everyone who liked JA2 should make the jump to Silent Storm and Sentinels pseudo-sequel. Unless the one thing in JA you liked was the funny 80's action movie setting.

Yeah Silent Storm is great... until the mechs show up.

They are still making a "real" JA3 IIRC.

Yeah Silent Storm is great... until the mechs show up.

They are still making a "real" JA3 IIRC.

Currently JA3 is in legal limbo, Strategy First is sueing the developer or vice versa.

I've heard a few things about Hired Guns over at the Bears Pit. It sounds like the tactical combat is decent, but the game itself is pretty lacking.

Erm no. Better to stay and play Ja2 mods. SS is good, but it's nowhere near Ja2 unless the one thing you like is better graphics.

and no Crash girl, because the comments i got on BP http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbth...e=1&fpart=1 didnt really point out anything that good.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I was really disappointed that the mod community for Silent Storm never took off. The game engine really is a remarkable step forward for TB tactical combat. It just needed more personality and less mechs to be perfect, whi9ch I think a good mod team could pull off.

I was really disappointed that the mod community for Silent Storm never took off. The game engine really is a remarkable step forward for TB tactical combat. It just needed more personality and less mechs to be perfect, whi9ch I think a good mod team could pull off.

And bigger maps! Most maps were just one house and a tiny garden surrounding it! I mean, I loved Silent Storm but that was a major flaw.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There was a demo released (haven't tried it myself). Several gaming sites seem to have it, I found this one at GamersHell: http://www.gamershell.com/download_20769.shtml

As near as I can tell this is Jagged Alliance 3D renamed & reworked after GFI & Strategy First parted ways.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just to point out Both Jag 2 and XCOM had destrutbile environments, many years ago. Jag 2's was on a limited scale, but you could blow up rocks, fences, obstacles, and walls.

XCOM (how old is this game) had a fully destructble enivorment. You could go out on night terror missions in rural areas and instead of chasing aliens out into the wheat field, just set the field on fire and wait for them to either panic and run or burn to death.

Fair point, and I really liked Silent Storm.

Unfortunately, I loved the corny 1980's action movie setting even more. OK, I love everything about JA2, it's as near perfect as a PC game can get in my humble.

I'm amazed nobody has made an updated console version, because (whisper it), JA2 could work perfectly well as a console title. Hey, I played XCOM on the original Playstation with a PS mouse, after all.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

[i'm amazed nobody has made an updated console version, because (whisper it), JA2 could work perfectly well as a console title. Hey, I played XCOM on the original Playstation with a PS mouse, after all.

Cheers

MC

I'm amazed, that even after all these years, UFO: Enemy Unkown is still the gold standard by which TB squad combat games are judged. And Jag 2 also, though to a slightly lesser extent.

And now, JA2 The Movie -

I give you, The Expendables...

The cast now includes Mickey Rourke, Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture, Dolph Lundgren, Forest Whitaker, Eric Roberts and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The film tells the story about an

sonsofgygax.JPG