WoW Servers

Slowtrain

I'm thinking of giving my WoW free trial a spin jus to see what it is like.

Are there any servers that are better than others? For a n00b?

Once I create my account am I permanently attached to one server and can I create pcs on different servers?

Is a PvP sever really that bad for a n00b? Is PvE much better? Are PvP servers more fun once you have higher level character to play around with?

I don't know much so any info is useful.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Once I create my account am I permanently attached to one server and can I create pcs on different servers?

Is a PvP sever really that bad for a n00b? Is PvE much better? Are PvP servers more fun once you have higher level character to play around with?

I played WoW for 3.5 years, so here's a little insight into the game:

There are hundreds of servers in WoW, each with their own personality. It's impossible to recommend any specific server because there are nearly 12 million people that play the game. That said, I played on Skywall, which is a PvE server, three years ago and I found it had a great community. Very tight-knit, mature, and fun. Sure there were trolls and jerks, but for the most part, the server was very good.

I rerolled to a PvP server about a year later. That server was Dark Iron, which had, in my opinion, the very worst community I ever encountered. A whole bunch of leetards (elitists) that liked to flex their epeens every chance they got. And the server wasn't even that good, but all the folks that ran Penny Arcade rolled on Dark Iron, so the community was terribad.

I quite playing WoW back in September, but my last character was on the PvP server Arthas. Arthas reminded me a lot of Skywall, except that players on Arthas actually had skill. But the community was top knotch.

Other servers I had rolled alts on were Eitrigg (PvE, pretty good community), Crushridge (PvP, horrible community) and Vashj (PvP, a low pop server that was virtually a ghost town).

You're probably noticing that there is a direct correlation between the quality of the community and the type of server. Generally speaking, PvP servers draw out all the 14 year old jerks that have nothing better to do than to gank and grief and make other peoples playing time as miserable as possible. This is completely encouraged by Blizzard. PvE servers, meanwhile, tend to draw an older more mature crowd that is more into questing, raiding, and grouping.

So, if you're new to the game, I'd recommend a PvE server so you can experience the game at your own pace and not have to worry about being ganked by someone 60 levels above you. Unless you just enjoy that kind of playstyle. I myself grew quite fond of PvP servers for the added threat while out questing. It kept me on my toes in an otherwise boring routine of rep grinding.

Once you get to max level, PvP servers are more fun, though. Don't get me started on the gear gap. :blink:

Hope all this helps.

Thanks, DJ.

That's great. PvE definitely seems the way to go for starters.

The way you described your experience, you seem to have moved from server to server without any problems. So I can assume that one is not locked into a single server for the life of their account?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I recommend RP servers, not because you can expect people to pretend to be night elves, but because the player base tends to be a bit more mature and there are less 12 year old's on them. I played on Argent Dawn for about 2 years.

You can transfer characters to certain servers, but I believe there is a cost involved. Something like $50, but I could be wrong. It's not really necessary unless you find out you have friends playing on a different server. There are literally thousands on each server, so you are likely to find a few folks that you get along with regardless of your server choice.

You can create new characters on whatever server you want.

PvP and PvE are really two very different games. It's like a coop game and a deathmatch game, it just depends on what you want. I tended to play PvE primarily but when I was in the mood to mix it up, I'd jump to a PvE server.

The real question you should ask is Horde or Alliance :blink:

edit: If you are just looking for an MMO, you should come play LotR Online with me. I'll show you around, it's fantastic and beautiful.

Edited by Hurlshot

If you're on a MMO trial spree, I highly recommend trying the EVE trial as well(if you haven't already), it's pretty fun and no server choosing :blink:

I almost tried Eve a long time ago, but what stopped me was when I found out it wasn't a dogfighting space combat sim. I love dogfighting, in space or otherwise. But when I realized Eve wasn't twitch-based, my interest dropped dramatically.

But if I read something wrong at some point, please feel free to correct me. :)

The real question you should ask is Horde or Alliance :)

OK. Which one? :blink:

This is BTW, like saying "I am lame" publically and without shame.

- 100 respect points lass.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

This is BTW, like saying "I am lame" publically and without shame.

- 100 respect points lass.

lol. I've been lame all my life, Nighshape, too late to start worrying about it now. Just dig in and hope for the best. :blink:

If you're on a MMO trial spree, I highly recommend trying the EVE trial as well(if you haven't already), it's pretty fun and no server choosing :blink:

I almost tried Eve a long time ago, but what stopped me was when I found out it wasn't a dogfighting space combat sim. I love dogfighting, in space or otherwise. But when I realized Eve wasn't twitch-based, my interest dropped dramatically.

But if I read something wrong at some point, please feel free to correct me. :)

No dogfighting, sorry.

But are you going to play WoW for the amazing medieval combat simulation? Just saying that if you are going to hit up a bunch of MMO trials, don't miss EVE. It's actually pretty fun, for a while.

Edited by Purkake

[but are you going to play WoW for the amazing medieval combat simulation?

true dat.

*considers*

What kind of loot is there in Eve. DOn't ships just blow apart into balls of cosmic dust?

What kind of loot is there in Eve. DOn't ships just blow apart into balls of cosmic dust?

Yes, but they leave some of their stuff behind in a "wreck". There's all kinds of cool stuff like non-standard weapons, drones, relatively expensive stuff(real market and all). The best part is that you can use most of the normal small-ship stuff right from the start if you get the required skills at char-gen.

SO you guys would recommend an RP server over a PvE server?

How hardcore is the rp on the rp servers? I'm sure it's a testament to all my hideous personal failings and insecurities, but I'm not entirely sure I can roleplay in any serious way.

Use a private server.

The real question you should ask is Horde or Alliance ;(

Alliance. The Horde are ugly.

(The Horde *are* ugly? The Horde *is* ugly? The Horde races are ugly.. )

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

SO you guys would recommend an RP server over a PvE server?

How hardcore is the rp on the rp servers? I'm sure it's a testament to all my hideous personal failings and insecurities, but I'm not entirely sure I can roleplay in any serious way.

PVE servers tend to be more focused on community and raiding at endgame. PVP servers can however have a greater feeling of reward because of the fact you made it to the level cap while having to slog your way through certain areas (glowers at Stranglethorn Vale) with characters griefing you left and right. Admittedly my connection is very minimal on PVE, but on my PVP server (central standard time Azgalor) you find a wide range of people from the standard children, to people who are actually pretty normal and friendly.

PVE and (I think here) RP servers allow you to roll characters in both factions on the same server, PVP servers completely disconnect the two sides by forcing you to have only one faction on each server (probably to prevent people from putting out "hits" if you know what I mean). I haven't tried an RP server, but from what I've heard people CAN report you for playing "out of character". How prevalent this is I don't know but it's possible you could get hit with a suspension for being "OOC".

Server transfer I think only costs 10 bucks, unless you are on the sort of "server of the week", by this I mean that blizzard always has postings of servers that are offered free transfers to a fewer number of destinations to balance out the populations (ie a server packed to the gills every day will probably have a free Xfer to the newest and lowest population servers in the time zone).

Usually on start up of the game, the game asks you your time zone and type of server you want to roll on (PVP PVE RP RPPVP are the four types I believe), and then will suggest a server. I'm guessing the suggestion is the lowest population server that's within the criteria specified by you.

Also if you don't like the server you're on, you can create as many as 50 characters per account across all servers, rather than transfer (this is better if you're lower level because you don't have the gear and money yet).

I would however suggest that you roll on a server of somebody you know who could help you. I say this because with recent changes to make leveling faster from 1-60/70 you will often find that you don't have enough money to train all the spells and abilities that you get every other level, much less trade skills and secondary skills, thus if you have a friend or ally on the server with a level capped character you can have them throw something like 50 gold to your character and you're set to get almost everything for a good long while (if it's the trial however they may want to limit it to 10 g as there is the chance that you won't pick up the full game).

To put the gold numbers in perspective, A person can make upwards of 1000 gold per week by playing between 1-2 hours per day total. They'll earn more by raiding and going back and doing low level quests, but people have already put together 15k gold to get a mount that's got freaking vendors on it and a passengers seat!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've died so many times in Stranglethorn Vale, the spirit healer at the graveyard has phone number on speed dial.

Listen, once you start Wow, you'll become an addict, so just pick PvE first, and when you want to know true horror, try PvP.

That said, having someone give you gold is awesome, but I wouldn't do it for your first character. The amount of pain and suffering your first character gives you is directly proportional to how much you find yourself fondly thinking about how awesome that character was.

To put that gold in perspective. As a level 30 character, if you have 60g, you're rich. Making 1,000 a week doesn't happen for a long time.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've died so many times in Stranglethorn Vale, the spirit healer at the graveyard has phone number on speed dial.

Listen, once you start Wow, you'll become an addict, so just pick PvE first, and when you want to know true horror, try PvP.

That said, having someone give you gold is awesome, but I wouldn't do it for your first character. The amount of pain and suffering your first character gives you is directly proportional to how much you find yourself fondly thinking about how awesome that character was.

To put that gold in perspective. As a level 30 character, if you have 60g, you're rich. Making 1,000 a week doesn't happen for a long time.

true on the level 30, but with the rate you progress in the levels it's impossible to keep up with the leveling of skills and abilities to the rate that you are increasing in power (I've tried trust me). I ended up sending my horde paladin 40g from my deathknight (who I made AFTER the paladin, but earned 200g by the time he hit hellfire) just to make it so that I could keep up with leveling.

I'm not disagreeing with you. On your first run through, it's unlikely you'll have enough cash to keep up with class skills + proffessions + lewt. Especially now that you can get a mount at level 30. (my level 68 pali still doesn't have her epic mount)

What I mean is that while that's merely aggrivation when you're leveling a second or third or fourth alt, the first time, it's not that bad. Being dirt poor when you play your first character adds to the maschoistic fun that is world of warcraft.

I'm not disagreeing with you. On your first run through, it's unlikely you'll have enough cash to keep up with class skills + proffessions + lewt. Especially now that you can get a mount at level 30. (my level 68 pali still doesn't have her epic mount)

What I mean is that while that's merely aggrivation when you're leveling a second or third or fourth alt, the first time, it's not that bad. Being dirt poor when you play your first character adds to the maschoistic fun that is world of warcraft.

I don't know, I always thought that getting laughed out of a dungeon group because you didn't have your abilities trained was a bad thing, which is why it's good to have a sugar daddy for at least a little gold to get you from being so poverty stricken that you can't fly from Stormwind to Westfall or Orgrimmar to Ashenvale (had both happen on different characters.)

The real question you should ask is Horde or Alliance :x

OK. Which one? ;(

If you go for PvP server never ever roll alliance, unless you want to experience most retardedly immature type of general chat that was ever in an multiplayer game, that being said alliance on PvP is 15 years old on average. On PvE or RP server you get very mature community on both sides...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

true on the level 30, but with the rate you progress in the levels it's impossible to keep up with the leveling of skills and abilities to the rate that you are increasing in power (I've tried trust me). I ended up sending my horde paladin 40g from my deathknight (who I made AFTER the paladin, but earned 200g by the time he hit hellfire) just to make it so that I could keep up with leveling.

I picked up Mining and Jewelcrafting as a professions and i never had problems with money, i got around 300g at lvl 40 (it was befoer the change to lvl 30) when i purchased the mount, my first character on server.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The real question you should ask is Horde or Alliance :x

OK. Which one? :x

If you go for PvP server never ever roll alliance, unless you want to experience most retardedly immature type of general chat that was ever in an multiplayer game, that being said alliance on PvP is 15 years old on average. On PvE or RP server you get very mature community on both sides...

What a load of.. ;(

The maturity level of both is about equal. If you're on a PvP server, you will quickly learn to loath the other side because there are always immature **holes, and part of the way they get their kicks is making other people's lives harder.