Names names...

Calax

I was going through project origin and noticed that anyone named Jankowski dies very quickly in the games. I was wondering if you guys had noticed trends like this in the naming of characters and their eventual roles.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was going through project origin and noticed that anyone named Jankowski dies very quickly in the games. I was wondering if you guys had noticed trends like this in the naming of characters and their eventual roles.

yes people with more common names die a lot, people with german like names are traitors or power crazed people etc :x

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

People in WW2 games are always named Kowalski for some reason. And if your name end with "-ins" then you're dead meat.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I love action game naming trends. I mean, guys like Cutter Slade, Bolt Logan, Marcus Fenix, etc.

Funnily appropriate and still hilarious.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

One of the worst was when I discovered blatantly stole "Commander John Shepard" from stargate... which made me discover that they stole the entire "wake up every 50,000 years and eat humanity" from stargate too. I hate stargate.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

One of the worst was when I discovered blatantly stole "Commander John Shepard" from stargate... which made me discover that they stole the entire "wake up every 50,000 years and eat humanity" from stargate too. I hate stargate.

That's all in Atlantis, SG1 is MUCH better than atlantis.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"which made me discover that they stole the entire "wake up every 50,000 years and eat humanity" from stargate too."

L0L People keep saying this yet the whole 'ancient evil comes back to wipe out everyone' is a sci fi cliche. Stargate is not original in this. Not even close.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"which made me discover that they stole the entire "wake up every 50,000 years and eat humanity" from stargate too."

L0L People keep saying this yet the whole 'ancient evil comes back to wipe out everyone' is a sci fi cliche. Stargate is not original in this. Not even close.

No, but the notion of an ancient race that wakes every 50000 years to actually harvest mankind is way too close a ripoff for comfort. And a ripoff of one of the worst scifi shows in history makes it even worse.

And I think Atlantis is slightly less worse than the one with mcgyver. All they do in the mcgyver one is fight men in rubber suits in someones backyard, the new one has decent some CGI

What do expect from a bunch of nerdy SciFi freaks? Of course they ripp-off stuff, but as long as the outcome remains enjoyable, I'm not complaing there.

I pretty much agree with Morgoth. Most genre stuff, in whatever medium, is pretty much just hand-me-downs at this point. But as long as old ideas are done well, it's good enough for entertainment's sake.

In games, I just hope to see some new wrinkle in gameplay and environments, but I don't expect much in the way of anything new from the stories.

Which I think is really OK.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

We need more Asterix names in gaming.

CHIEF VITALSTATISTIX!

Oh yes!

Though personally, I prefer Chief Whosemoralsarelastix and the senator Surplus Dairyprodus. :p

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

We need more Asterix names in gaming.

CHIEF VITALSTATISTIX!

Oh yes!

Though personally, I prefer Chief Whosemoralsarelastix and the senator Surplus Dairyprodus. :p

I see that the names are pretty different by region, but I love it just as well. Fishmonger Amaryllix lol

Its even funnier if you know that the -rix suffix meant "king" in Gaetane and Senone Gaelic.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It was totally hilarious how the Normans' names in Asterix, which ended in -af, completely left the Gauls in stitches.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh yeah, and the Goths had their own silly naming as well.

kirottu said:

In the special features on one of the Atlantis dvds one of the writers talks about how theres like 6 sci fi stories and everything just tries to do each of them in a new way. I think it was something like 1: Aliens, 2: Time Travel, 3: Nanotechnology, 4: Virus, 5: Alternate Dimension, 6: Robots.

They've even combined a few. I think really the only plot they haven't done on Stargate is Alien nanomachine robots from an alternate dimension going back in time to infect us with some crazy virus.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

We need characters called A. Or B. Maybe Z, but I don't personnally don't like it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There is only 4chan.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ancient evil comes back to wipe everyone out is one of the oldest stories the human race tells. So, it's not really fair to say anyone ripped it off when they are telling a variation of the old myth.

There is nothing new under the sun.

There is something completely disturbing about people having Zed as their avatars... :-

Ancient evil comes back to wipe everyone out makes me all nostalgic for old sci-fi and horror movies from the late 60's to the late 70's o:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ancient evil comes back to wipe everyone out is one of the oldest stories the human race tells. So, it's not really fair to say anyone ripped it off when they are telling a variation of the old myth.

There is nothing new under the sun.

poop.

there is only 12 stories. no, there is only 7 stories... or is it 5? nuts. if you deconstruct or reduce any story far enough you can say that ALL stories is essentially the same. is silly. is nonsense. is an excuse ejaculated by the dull-witted and unimaginative to camouflage their own lack o' creativity. such myopia is why we gets get some grad student hack drawing parallels 'tween lolita and lord of the rings. is nonsense. humbert humbert and frodo is the Same character.

*snort*

does all fiction have some common elements? sure. all fiction is meant to reveal some kinda truth or find meaning or simply makes observation 'bout the human condition. need a familiar frame o' reference or your work will be incomprehensible, no? so yeah, no matter if you gots aliens from Dralneck 5 or beggars in the streets of london, you is necessarily gonna have characters that is very human facing very human problems. and yeah, you can joseph cambell yourself into stoopidity and convince self that 'cause same plots keep showing up over and over that there is genuine nothing new under the sun. maybe is true for you that everything looks same, but that is only true 'cause you is pretty much drawing your world with nothing other than those same 8 fat crayons you gots in pre-school.

bah.

Gromnir gets riled up when we sees the "nothing new under the sun," crap, 'cause most often it is an excuse used by hacks to defend the paucity o' their own imaginations and the shortcomings in their craftsmanship.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Mkreku, I think 'Master Chief' is a real US military NCO rank of some description. I'm sure the Americans here can help us out.

As for there being only 7/12/whatever stories, it's a superficially attractive idea. Then you read, say, Necronomicon by Neal Stephenson and you realise it simply isn't the case.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG