Grrrr jury duty

Eddo36

I bet you cant be bothered to vote, either.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, I got selected for jury duty late last year and it was a study in sucktitude. There were a bunch of us in a "pool" and I was certain I wouldnt get selected. Unfortunately, these damndable All American good looks of mine make me look like a concerned citizen and no matter how I answered the interview questions (even saying the opposite of the guy before me that got selected) I still got selected. The trial itself took 2 f-ing more days from 10:30am to 7:30pm before we ruled on the matter. I find that when you have to have a group consensus on something there is invariably some tool that "doesnt get it" or "needs further clarification". I was in a rage.

I went into jury duty once and even got selected. We heard opening arguments and went out to lunch, when we came back they had plea bargained the case and we were dismissed. Kind of anti-climatic but the day did yield some fruit as the judge had a rather pronounced speech impediment. Between him and the defense attorney with his thick Jamaican accent the whole day had a very surreal tint to it.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I have yet to be selected for a jury when called for jury duty (of course, by posting that, the streak will end next time I am called).

Worst was when I spent 10 hours being rejected from potential juries.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah my first time being called for jury duty I was in one of the pools so I basically went to the court house down town sat in a large room with a bunch of other miserable people for 5 and a half hours until someone came in and was like yeah your all excused now get the hell out of here before I call security. Where's enoch? We need to devise a way in which I can commit a felony that relieves me of jury duty but doesn't interfere with future work opportunities. What if we forged some documents to say I was 14 and then I could get it expunged? Think enoch, think!

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I was one of the lucky ones that just called in and was told not to come (probably because they plea bargained.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We dont actually have a jury in Swedish courts. Its the judge and three officials who decide.. at level 1, that is. The higher courts have a ton of judges and other officials.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would respond to sluggo's post, but his signature is creeping me out.

I'm no great defender of jury systems, anyway. Much like Churchill's famous quip on democracy, the best argument against a jury system is a five-minute conversation with the average juror (or, in Eddo's case, a 20-second conversation ;) ). I guess I can see some rationale for criminal juries. But the State really has no real reason to be involved at all in most civil cases (particularly the huge ones between sophisticated parties that tend to occupy most of the courts' time), let alone bothering private citizens to come in and collaboratively mediate these private disputes. Sure, there have to be some public, peaceful means to resolve disputes in a binding manner, lest we risk encouraging vigilantism, but there is plenty of room to pare down access to courts in civil disputes without endangering this goal.

Yeah, I got selected for jury duty late last year and it was a study in sucktitude. There were a bunch of us in a "pool" and I was certain I wouldnt get selected. Unfortunately, these damndable All American good looks of mine make me look like a concerned citizen and no matter how I answered the interview questions (even saying the opposite of the guy before me that got selected) I still got selected. The trial itself took 2 f-ing more days from 10:30am to 7:30pm before we ruled on the matter. I find that when you have to have a group consensus on something there is invariably some tool that "doesnt get it" or "needs further clarification". I was in a rage.

You haven't watched enough lawyer shows. Each side gets to blackball a set amount of prospective jurors, other than that you can only be excused for being a complete loon, faking being a loon or trying your hand at overt racism or something is only going to get you in trouble.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

You should be afraid enoch. It's a quote straight out of Eddo's gripping tale of horror and intrigue and overt rape and monsters or something along those lines.

Now answer my plea. It's a lawyers job to pervert justi- Erm I mean uphold liberty!!!!

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

thanks for making me look. ugh.

I'm no great defender of jury systems, anyway.

me neither. voir dire does not work properly: people lie (i know this from personal experience) and get away with it. assembling a "jury of peers" is all but impossible and i'm not sure the concept even has legitimate meaning. who are a drug dealer's peers?

as for civil juries, it's even worse. there, however, both juries and judges are (often) required to rule on issues they are not remotely qualified to even understand. marilyn vos savant advocates some sort of "professional juror," sort of like referees in the NFL, i.e., they come in for trials and get paid to do it, but have other jobs in the mean-time. that's probably not a good idea, either.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

as for civil juries, it's even worse. there, however, both juries and judges are (often) required to rule on issues they are not remotely qualified to even understand. marilyn vos savant advocates some sort of "professional juror," sort of like referees in the NFL, i.e., they come in for trials and get paid to do it, but have other jobs in the mean-time. that's probably not a good idea, either.

taks

Lol, thats so true. My case was a civil case between a trucker and a repair shop. The trucker claimed the repair shop improperly repaired his carburetor and that cause massive engine failure. The plaintiff and defendant both trot in their "experts" on the matter while we nod sagely. Its just "who do you believe more / sounded more competent".

We dont actually have a jury in Swedish courts. Its the judge and three officials who decide.. at level 1, that is. The higher courts have a ton of judges and other officials.

Neither do we. Crazy Americans...

The sad part is that we have 9 months of mandatory military training/whatever you call it.

You're crazy. Living in a country in northeast Europe I've never heard of. Why don't you live in a country I've heard of.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Neither do we. Crazy Americans...

I'm pretty sure that the jury is part of the ancient Greek concept of democracy.

Crazy Americans...

Well, we're just using the system we inherited from some crazy Englishmen. Although the 6th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution gives criminal defendants an absolute right to a jury trial, the 7th Amendment only says that the right to a jury in civil cases "shall be preserved." This is generally read as meaning that the rules that were in place under English law in the Colonial period must remain in place. (Vis., you can demand a jury for cases at law (involving money damages), but not for cases at equity (demanding some other remedy).)

Ultimately, the founders of the U.S. system saw jury trial as an insulation against tyranny-- judges were historically tied to the Crown, so juries were put in place to limit that potential for centralized power.

You're crazy. Living in a country in northeast Europe I've never heard of. Why don't you live in a country I've heard of.

You've never heard of estonia? the tiny former soviet country that's on the leading edge of where russia is now?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You've never heard of estonia? the tiny former soviet country that's on the leading edge of where russia is now?

I can't say I blame him, half of Europe can't tell the difference between Estonia and Iceland...

And I was just kidding about the crazy part. I can see the point of a jury, it just seems like a relic of earlier times, considering that it's just annoying to most(some) people now. Here's an idea: we have e-voting with mobile phones and the internet, how about you make an e-jury where you can just vote over the internet? >_<

I can't say I blame him, half of Europe can't tell the difference between Estonia and Iceland...

And I was just kidding about the crazy part. I can see the point of a jury, it just seems like a relic of earlier times, considering that it's just annoying to most(some) people now. Here's an idea: we have e-voting with mobile phones and the internet, how about you make an e-jury where you can just vote over the internet? :x

I see a good framework here, maybe it would prove to be more popular than American Idol.

- "The defendant declared has himself(herself) innocent. The rest is up to you, at home. (ATM callercard required, callers from Missouri do not qualify). This.....is American Federal Court!"

- "In this latest episode, being the most intense one yet. The perticipants haven't slept more than 4 hours during Washington week. We have tales of sorrow, happiness, and even moments when things go too far. This....is American Federal Court! Presenting the judges: The proffessional Jackson, calling out to his dogs! The ever beautiful Abdul, always forgiving, and ofcourse out favourite.....Judge "Straight-talk" Cowell!"

I am willing to sell this idea for 300 000 now, and for 10% of any future revenue. Any takers?

Any takers?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy