What you did today

Gorth

Wrap the male threads with Teflon tape.

I considered something like that, but it doesn't look like the leak is coming from the threaded part. That is, male threaded piece comes down out of the toilet tank. The supply pipe is supposed to butt up against that, with a female-threaded sleeve that fits over the end of said supply pipe and secures it to the toilet via the threaded connection. As far as I can tell, the leak is occurring between this sleeve and the supply pipe, rather than seeping through the threaded connection.

Enoch, bro, if it won't break your bank to have someone do the plumbing, call 'em in. I suspect you just don't like having to have someone do the work rather than having anything resembling financial duress over paying for it. I've done a lot of repair work on my/my parents/my friends houses and I know that it can be frustrating. Some stuff is just a lot of work altogether, even if things go smoothly. I could offer advice on the work, but my advice would be to have someone come in and look at it if the job is getting you down. :ermm:

As for you, Calax, just be careful, dude. Don't get caught up in anything dangerous, and you never know what some crazy bastard will do. That goes for both the girl and the husband. It's great to be the knight on the white charger riding in to save the day, but take care of yourself, man.

Wrap the male threads with Teflon tape.

I considered something like that, but it doesn't look like the leak is coming from the threaded part. That is, male threaded piece comes down out of the toilet tank. The supply pipe is supposed to butt up against that, with a female-threaded sleeve that fits over the end of said supply pipe and secures it to the toilet via the threaded connection. As far as I can tell, the leak is occurring between this sleeve and the supply pipe, rather than seeping through the threaded connection.

Hmm, IIRC, those male threads coming out of the tank are plastic so you may have stripped a few threads or cracked the piece. Ive done lots of home plumbing and a good general rule of thumb is: hand tight + half a turn. Even if you decide to replace the entire toilet you should do it yourself. Its much simplier then it may look right now and Id be happy to type you up step-by-step instructions if you decide to tackle it. Wouldnt take you more than 45 minutes start to finish.

I also agree that replacing a toilet is easy. I've done it a few times myself. Carrying an old nasty toilet down the stairs isn't so fun, but definitely waaaaay cheaper than hiring someone.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Yeah, but it's not like Enoch is desperate for the cash. For my part, carrying out the old commode is the easiest part of the job. The pain is just making sure you aren't leaking water like Niagra Falls. I've replaced all of the toilets in my Mom and dad's house, my grandmothers house, and one in my own. Hell, in mom and dad's and Grandma's, they got the full treatment. New commodes and safety bars.

i'm seriously lacking in the handyman department. well, i'm pretty good at opening up the phone book and calling whatever professional i need, assuming my wife hasn't taken on the task herself. both my brothers are like my dad, they do everything themselves. drove my dad nuts that i went the elitist snob path. :ermm:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I feel like I learned a good amount in doing this myself, and the parts I used only cost about $30. For someone who is has only been a homeowner for about 4 months, and whose previous toilet-repair experience is jerry-rigging a replacement flapper chain from a mini-blind pull cord, I think I did OK. (Although Gfted has a point in that there is a decent chance that the connection is leaking because I cracked one of the pieces.)

Anyhow, the toilet is functional for the short term. It currently has a paper towel wrapped around the supply line. The dripping-evaporating ratio is enough to keep the towel consistently moist, but not soaked.

...and offered her a room at my parents house (got their consent) if she should decide to leave that relationship, because her home life is a mess (from what I can pick up in her e-mails, she kinda glosses over it).

:ermm: Whoa man, throttle back. Way back.

I know, one of the caveats to this is that I meet her before she comes over.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

...and offered her a room at my parents house (got their consent) if she should decide to leave that relationship, because her home life is a mess (from what I can pick up in her e-mails, she kinda glosses over it).

:sorcerer: Whoa man, throttle back. Way back.

Why does this sound eerily like a Nigerian Bank Scam? :ermm:

If she asks for money or your bank account details, call the cops right away. Don't follow her alone into dark alleys and always carry a cell phone with the police number pre-programmed on a hot dial thing.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:sorcerer: Whoa man, throttle back. Way back.

Why does this sound eerily like a Nigerian Bank Scam? :ermm:

If she asks for money or your bank account details, call the cops right away. Don't follow her alone into dark alleys and always carry a cell phone with the police number pre-programmed on a hot dial thing.

Something you don't realize is she didn't ask for me to turn into her overprotective big brother. I just latched on for a variety of reasons I don't think I can go into here very easily and made the offer because it seemed like her parents were neglecting that important facet of being a parent, Protecting the child from everything including the child's stupid stupid decisions.

Calax what your doing is not only creepy its downright sociopathic. Seriously dude, it's weird and wrong. I'm sure shes a nice person but meeting someone doesn't let you in to who they really are and did I mention it's f'in creepy as hell what you're doing? How the hell did you two even meet and I can tell you right now it's most definitely not some kind of odd big brother/father syndrome. You like her. And you suffer from mental instability. And you're a really nice guy. Combine all that stuff together and you got a perfect storm of pure insanity. You definitely need to pull the reigns back but you've already done major damage and the fact that this chick is willing or is going to be willing to go full steam ahead with this entire situation is just as if not more scary. Seriously bro you need to get a handle, seriously.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Calax what your doing is not only creepy its downright sociopathic. Seriously dude, it's weird and wrong. I'm sure shes a nice person but meeting someone doesn't let you in to who they really are and did I mention it's f'in creepy as hell what you're doing? How the hell did you two even meet and I can tell you right now it's most definitely not some kind of odd big brother/father syndrome. You like her. And you suffer from mental instability. And you're a really nice guy. Combine all that stuff together and you got a perfect storm of pure insanity. You definitely need to pull the reigns back but you've already done major damage and the fact that this chick is willing or is going to be willing to go full steam ahead with this entire situation is just as if not more scary. Seriously bro you need to get a handle, seriously.

I don't know, I agree I'm flying off the handle but I'm also trying to pull her out of a situation that I think will end up with her leading a life that she probably doesn't want. I'm pretty stable right now (thank you drugs), and I'm trying to lighten up on my weird protection complex. I'd probably end up trying to have her start living with a friend (female, who I'm actually trying to start to date from my class) rather than just out of my parents house.

And yes, my reaction to all of this stuff does scare me in one way, but also gives me confidence in another. Scares me because I'm latching onto something that's as incorporeal as a ghost and not letting go even though parts of me are wrestling with other parts to do just that (and they're winning because I'm allowing myself to be distracted from this stuff). Another part is gaining confidence because it's making me feel better about the parenting skills I thought I'd never EVER find decided to appear.

Ah hell, I'm still confused as ever about this whole situation but I'm also trying to straighten myself out.

Edited by Calax

I just wanted to note I'm being specifically vague about the relationship she's jumping into because I don't want to spark a debate about something else.

I deleted about half of my post as I thought it got too long and speculative. Anyways, here's what survived the purge.

I've been trying to convince the girl I mentioned earlier to hold off.

From what you have told us of the situation, I agree that this would be the best course of action. The worst thing any person, be they young or old, can do is to get themselves into an abusive relationship. A small percentage might be strong enough to get out of one without any assistance, but even in those rare instances there will likely be scars. As for the others, well, they either require assistance or simply cannot do it on their own.

She's in an interesting relationship where her "husband" is an older gentleman that's very much old fashioned (she has to wear dresses).

This is a bad sign, even if it is simply a harmless fetish at this point. I would never recommend that any person, man or woman, get involved with another person who demands this level of adherence. Sure, you might keep your hair long, or short, or choose a certain outfit because it would please your partner -even if it is not your preferred style or fashion-, but outright banning of any clothes other than dresses is taking this, in my mind, to an unhealthy extreme. In fact, it seems like this fits into a pattern of a current abuser.

Tonight I spent most of my psych class putting together a letter that I ultimately emailed with her (I've had about 20-30 back and fourth's with her since I first started talking to her) and offered her a room at my parents house (got their consent) if she should decide to leave that relationship, because her home life is a mess (from what I can pick up in her e-mails, she kinda glosses over it).

While I think she should remove herself from the current situation, I am not sure if your parents' house would be a good long-term solution. However, as a temporary hold-over, it should work - provided that your mum and dad know why she is there and do not think that she's your girlfriend, lover, etc. and accidentally, unknowingly make everything extremely uncomfortable for the girl.

I'm hoping that she reads it and picks up knowledge from it (I basically told her my biggest fears about her situation, and tried to break down her psychology of why she's getting into this relationship etc)...

This is both the best and the worst thing you could have done, it all dependeds on how she reacts to your attempt to " break down her psychology of why she's getting into this relationship etc." and if she affronted by that fact. While I understand why you included that portion, it might make her feel insulted if she feels you are mis-characterising her. If this does occur, apologise if that is warranted and try to make her understand that it was not your intent to belittle or otherwise demean her in any way.

...and makes a better decision (ie one that doesn't have her with a chance of being pregnant within a year of this date....).

Yes, if everyone could see their own faults and fix them the world would be a much better place. However, I doubt this will happen unless she finds your arguments extremely convincing. It is more likely that she will accept your offer of aid and move out of the relationship with assistance, not by herself.

...however he fallout from her decision would be MUCH bigger than the one from mine, and her's is a larger commitment...

Once you are in an abusive relationship it is very hard to remove yourself from one, so, yes, this could be one of the most costly mistakes a young lady could make. And this does not even take into account the possibility of children, something that would only further complicate any future break-up (not to mention the fact that custody is often used as a weapon by the abusive party).

I don't know, if she did get out of this relationship and ended up living with me and my parents, I'm not sure what my relationship to her would be... protective older brother, father figure, boyfriend?

That would depend on how you proceeded afterwards, but I would recommend the "protective older brother" approach as that actually makes sense given the situation and does not make it look like you are taking advantage of her.

I'm interested in seeing her succeed and find her own identity (which is why I think she's going into this relationship, because she's got an identity being given to her) and figure out exactly what she wants out of life.

Again, there is nothing wrong with your goals as far as I can see. Your aims are commendable.

She wants kids, that much she made clear, but I think she wants kids, not because they're bundles of joy and happiness that continue the species (ie the reasons most people want kids) but rather because she wants the attention being pregnant and having a young child brings from those in society.

I forget the name, but there is a known psychological issue that fits what you are describing. The woman wants attention as she has been deprived of it and believes that getting pregnant is the best, or only, way to achieve that.

Also I think that she's wanting that unconditional love from the child (which due  to the situation she's entering she might not get it) to replace what she might not have had at home.

Again, this fits into the profile of someone who is likely to get into an abusive relationship or is already in one. The person seeks love but the only way to get it it by giving into the demands of the abusive party. I agree that it would be best if she removes herself from the relationship.

The relationship is VERY complicated... and I'm still confused about what I'm trying to do, and what role I'm taking here. I don't even know why I'm posting this for you guys... probably a part of me wants to affirm that I'm correct in the actions I'm taking.

You are posting this here because you are looking for advice and, possibly, support for your course of action - and it is only natural that you would look for these things. If it helps you any, let me tell you this little story and while some facts might be a bit sketchy, it's been awhile since I've heard it and it's a bit late to call my dad and ask him for the details, the general gist is correct. When my father was in high-school he happened to see that another student, a girl, was getting into a bad situation against her wishes -it was more serious in this case and bordering on rape-. You have to understand one thing about my father, he has absolutely not tolerance for violence or abuse of women and thus when he saw this he basically confronted the male "suitor" and said that he better leave the girl alone "or else." The aggressor backed down and didn't bother her again and my father didn't pay any more attention to the girl. However, years later, she actually contacted my father -who had moved, gone through college, and had married- to tell him how the act had changed her life and how grateful she was that he had taken it upon himself to intervene. In fact, she even named her firstborn son after him. Anyways, I just thought you might want to know that other people have had to deal with similar choices.

I don't know, I agree I'm flying off the handle but I'm also trying to pull her out of a situation that I think will end up with her leading a life that she probably doesn't want.

Again, I agree that the situation, as you describe it, is a negative one.

I'd probably end up trying to have her start living with a friend (female, who I'm actually trying to start to date from my class) rather than just out of my parents house.

That might be a better situation, it might not. Still, as I said before, I would recommend you treat her as a younger sister for the reasons I have already discussed.

Ah hell, I'm still confused as ever about this whole situation but I'm also trying to straighten myself out.

The fact that you are even taking the time to reexamine your actions puts you ahead of many people, but I still think you'll do whatever you think is the right thing - if you don't you'll end up hating yourself.

I just wanted to note I'm being specifically vague about the relationship she's jumping into because I don't want to spark a debate about something else.

I have a fairly good idea, or, rather, I believe I do, of the nature of the relationship - but feel free to send me a PM with more details, I would like to try to help as I feel sympathy for both you and the other persons involved.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Regarding the toilet, can I suggest you dump three litres of bleach in before you disconnect it, to clean that sucker out?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Regarding the toilet, can I suggest you dump three litres of bleach in before you disconnect it, to clean that sucker out?

Did you know that if your toilet goes into an old septic tank or something and you dump a bunch of bleach into it there's a strong possibility that chlorine gas will begin to shoot out thus killing you violently and quite agonizingly and any small animals near by could result in casualties. Chemistry is dangerous business, albiet pretty awesome.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

had an oddly fun night last night

went round to a friend's for his birthday drinks, and ended up playing all sorts of games

pictionary, soul calibur, and singstar

with goths... :aiee:

though i kicked some serious butt in singstar

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Woke up, fed cat, fed some squirrels, showered.

Was going to catch up on things here but hubby just came in and I guess we're going to the techie store to buy goodies.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I did some work around my grandparents house. I pulled some bushes out of the ground, played some tennis, and decided to start learning how to play piano.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Back from Tiamat and 69 Eyes :ermm: Ava Inferi were unexpectedly good. The 69 Eyes were pretty Rock'n'Roll. Tiamat never sounded so good before (I'd seen them twice before) - perfect mixing, good singing voice and exceptionally good guitar work! Even the pretty but samey songs from Prey delivered, with some serious punch :p

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Back from Tiamat and 69 Eyes :ermm: Ava Inferi were unexpectedly good. The 69 Eyes were pretty Rock'n'Roll. Tiamat never sounded so good before (I'd seen them twice before) - perfect mixing, good singing voice and exceptionally good guitar work! Even the pretty but samey songs from Prey delivered, with some serious punch :p

WoWsers you saw Tiamat? Awesome!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.