AVG vs Avira antivirus, need input

Rhomal

Well while Mcafee has proven a loyal servent to me since DOS it is time we parted company. It seems from recent compairsons its really slipping in its ability to detect non-virus malware and becoming one of the slower scanners out there (However norton is by far the worst across the board of the big names).

With that said I am looking at either Avira or AVG and wondering if anyone here has used either and could help me go in one direction or another. First and foremost high dectection of virii, trojans, worms, rookits amd email scanner are my biggest needs/concerns. Then speed, low system resource usage and false postivites and finally bells and whistles. I don't need a firewall (behind a router) and other such things. The virus/malware aspect is the most important to me, other utils things are nice but not needed.

Any input appreciated.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I remember ditching AVG a couple years ago, when it started detecting programs like BioShock and Crysis as viruses, and then erasing them

And recently it detected a critical Windows file -User32.dll- and deleated that... :*

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Well seems a pretty solid one sided opinion against AVG.. so strike that. Thanks for the info everyone.

I also was pondering avast, while I read good things about its speed and such I heard is fares poor at overall detection. Anyone ever use that?

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

AVG is rubbish. I used to use Avast, but NOD32 is much faster and has a much smaller footprint

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ihave been using avast! for a long time and am well pleased with it fwiiw.

Thanks.

For comparison sakes here is a antivirus review done by a independent site. This lists detection % by the various scanners of threats in their definition files;

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_02.php

This lists the % of 'new' threats not in their deff files using their herustic ability to detect;

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_11.php

While most all do very will if its a defined threat detecting a unknown threat seems only a few have a decent chance and that was my general concern.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I'm having trouble finding the "free version" of NOD32. The only thing free i see on their website is a trial for 30 days. :*

That's the only legal "free" version - and I wouldn't use a "questionable" copy for my protection... :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

For comparison sakes here is a antivirus review done by a independent site. This lists detection % by the various scanners of threats in their definition files;

Thanks for that, it's really useful. I've been using McAfee, but have recently had a series of malware infections that it couldn't handle. NOD32 does look worth a try. :ermm:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 4 weeks later...

from myquick half hour research, it seems Avast is generally regarded as the best free virus software.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg