Embarrassing question

Monte Carlo

Well, perhaps not.

I've never bought a whole big ol' game online before, and am considering doing it. I'm not as IT literate as you lot, so how does it work? Can I burn a copy so I actually have something tangible? What if the download is interrupted? Etc.

I've got a pretty vanilla wireless broadband internet connection - any issues there?

Please don't move this to the tech forum. It's scary, and full of people who talk in 1's and 0's.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Different vendors have different policies, but the download itself is pretty simple. You can pause it, interrupt it, whatever. You can usually download it multiple times if needed. Basically you create an account, and the game you buy is tied to that account.

It should download pretty fast with any broadband connection. You will be surprised at how fast if you've only ever downloaded off free servers.

I've used Direct to Drive and Steam. On Steam, I have several titles. I downloaded FO3, it had a problem, I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. Turned out it wasn't the download. It was a DX10 problem, so I fixed that. It worked just fine thereafter. I did make a backup copy of my Hitman game that I purchased on Direct2Drive. I don't know if it would have worked as my original copy worked just fine the entire time. It's on my wife's computer now, I believe, so theoretically it will still work. I'll probably check later and report back to you. I've purchased several iterations of Norton Hantavirus online and the download is fine. The program is a steaming pile of feces, but the download works just great.

I would recommend online purchases for most things. I guess there are probably exceptions. One that pops into my head right now is if the title had some sort of sentimental value for you. In other words, the collector's edition of some game you LURVE! Also, some games, like xpacs for WoW and whatnot, may serve as a hard copy backup just in case you need to reinstal and you only need one for the household. That's not sentimental, there's more chance you'll have to reinstall a game you plan on playing for years.

01011001011001010111001100101100001000000110100101110100001000000111001101101000

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Possibly the only good DRM, aside from no DRM.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'll put down some words here:

Gamersgate: Has stopped using a downloader and you only need access to your site account to download and view your games. This means that it is very easy to install, patch and then burn the game to a cd/dvd. Tends to be expensive here in euroland and might be so in USA. GG doesn't have an autopatcher and I'm not sure how it works with all games as I primarily use it for Paradox Interactive games that are nice with a lack of DRM, other games would need special patches to prevent having to use a CD and I'm not sure who provides those or where you get them. GamersGate FAQ.

Nifty FAQ Q&A:

Can I download the game on my office PC and install it on my home PC which does not have an internet connection?

NO. An internet connection is needed to install the games.

If the target computer got a slow connection we recommend that you download and burn, or store in any other way, the downloads from a computer with high speed connection and move it to the computer with slow speed.

Steam: Uses a program to allow you to view the store and browse your games, it has an offline mode but this tends to be stupid for some people. Steam is expensive too but has nifty sales every weekend and at other special times so you practically never need to pay full price. Steam has an autopatcher which is usually good at being up-to-date relatively fast and manages well for people who aren't prissy.

EA and most other coorporate driven stores: Stay away! EA is the worst and the others aren't quite as bad but I wouldn't use them if there are alternatives.

Good rule of thumb: If you're nervous about getting ripped off (a few digital downloads on steam and other places are broken) then ask here or somewhere else or look at the forums. Informed consumers are happy consumers!

Needlessly argumentative response:

Why do you need something tangible? Your digital downloads aren't gonna dissappear suddenly and without warning and your insistence on having something tangible will only cause you grief and loss of money and time. Just realize this and you'll be enlightened*.

*Should be read like the black doorman dude at the downtown doomsday cult in VtM:B.

This article should interest you.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Many thanks for all your helpful and informative replies, especially Moatilliatta.

The reaon I want something tangible is because I'm old (er) and still find it difficult to get my head around buying something online that I can't touch or hold. My son's generation will find this, quite naturally, a ludicrous notion. I'm still wary of actually using my credit card details online and only do it once or twice a year.

I tried the Atari site today. It was, not to put too fine a point on it, rubbish. Wouldn't let me log in. I'm a choosy customer: Atari, don't make me work when I'm trying to spend money with you.

Will check out the other sites.

Mods, feel free to lock the thread and save bandwidth, my question has been answered fully and comprehensively.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't like Steam and such...

I prefer having physical copies of my games. Imagine some big failure happens to my pc and I have to format it again. I will lose all my data including those games I bought. Would I have the patience to download them all over again, especially if I have already completed them? What will happen if I ever want to play the game again 5 years later? I would have to pay for it again I guess... No thanks... Moreover, what if the website where I had my account declares bankruptcy (something happening quite often lately, but not yet in the video game industry) and shuts down? What will happen to my legally purchased games?

Storing software on my hardisk (internal or external) consumes valuable space that could be used for something else. A physical copy of a game can be shelved anywhere (in your room, in the attic or the basement).

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

You could make a backup DVD/CD.

yes but it does not solve all his problems with digital distribution he mentioned, only one :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I just have to mention that I've bought games from Gamersgate before and when it had a downloader it SUCKED!! My copy of Puzzle Quest refused to work when I downloaded it, I had to go to an unofficial forum to download some special DLL-file and place in the correct folder for it to eventually work! It was cheap, but still.. horrible, horrible service.

I have not tried them after they've removed their worthless piece of **** downloader though, so they might be a lot better now. I'm not giving them any more of my money though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't like Steam and such...

I prefer having physical copies of my games. Imagine some big failure happens to my pc and I have to format it again. I will lose all my data including those games I bought. Would I have the patience to download them all over again, especially if I have already completed them? What will happen if I ever want to play the game again 5 years later? I would have to pay for it again I guess... No thanks... Moreover, what if the website where I had my account declares bankruptcy (something happening quite often lately, but not yet in the video game industry) and shuts down? What will happen to my legally purchased games?

Storing software on my hardisk (internal or external) consumes valuable space that could be used for something else. A physical copy of a game can be shelved anywhere (in your room, in the attic or the basement).

The thing about steam is that unless you want to install it you can keep the information on valves (I guess) server, rather than with you. You can put Steam on any computer and download all the programs that you own onto that computer. As long as you remember your Steam ID you can pick the steam framework back and just re-dl the games that you want to play. As to what happens if Steam/Valve/all those publishers in Steam go bankrupt, but from the looks of it Valve is earning money hand over fist with the system because they don't have to pay distributors or publishers really to produce the game, they just pop it up on Steam.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yeah, stay away from the EA Link or whatever it's called. You can redownload your things 6 months for free and if you want to download them after that you will have to pay a small fee. That is stupid compared to what Steam does.

I guess I'm from the new generation that doesn't have to have something physical to caress every time I play/watch it. Game boxes haven't been worth buying since the late 90's, it's just a piece of plastic with a smaller piece of plastic inside it and a some paper on a good day. I remember the time when gameboxes came with manuals(bound and actually useful), NOVELS(Rama) and other cool stuff. All the DVD-style boxes do is take up space. If you are worried about the service going down make backup copies, I prefer an external HDD, because they are so cheap these days, but DVDs do the job as well and you can put them into on of those cd-holders that don't take up so much space.

Edited by Purkake

The only reason to use the EA store is if you are looking for a title that you can't get anywhere else.

But if your only options are eating cake while suffering cranial intrusion by an electric drill or not eating cake, there is really no good option.

I guess I'm from the new generation that doesn't have to have something physical to caress every time I play/watch it.

I also don't feel the need to have something physical, but I do feel the need not to be dependent on external servers that may go down in the future.

If you are worried about the service going down make backup copies, I prefer an external HDD, because they are so cheap these days, but DVDs do the job as well and you can put them into on of those cd-holders that don't take up so much space.

That would work if the service did not require an online check when you are installing the game. Unfortunately, as far as I understand it, download services these days require just that, so digital distribution is anathema for me. I understand that other people might not be so concerned with that, but I am and hence I am just not going to use digital distribution unless this issue is fully sorted out.

I guess I'm from the new generation that doesn't have to have something physical to caress every time I play/watch it.

I also don't feel the need to have something physical, but I do feel the need not to be dependent on external servers that may go down in the future.

If you are worried about the service going down make backup copies, I prefer an external HDD, because they are so cheap these days, but DVDs do the job as well and you can put them into on of those cd-holders that don't take up so much space.

That would work if the service did not require an online check when you are installing the game. Unfortunately, as far as I understand it, download services these days require just that, so digital distribution is anathema for me. I understand that other people might not be so concerned with that, but I am and hence I am just not going to use digital distribution unless this issue is fully sorted out.

If the company doesn't want to be sued to hell/isn't pure evil they would probably release a patch to remove the online checks. I can understand the concern, though.

It is sad that you can't buy games DRM-less, like Good Old Games, but that's just the way it is at the moment. It is no different than having the disc require online activation, unfortunately.

Steam requires an online check when you are installing but you can play in offline mode after it's been installed. And like I said, you're just as likely to loose a disk as Valve going under and Steam's servers shutting down, given that so many publishers have invested in steam.

Steam requires an online check when you are installing but you can play in offline mode after it's been installed. And like I said, you're just as likely to loose a disk as Valve going under and Steam's servers shutting down, given that so many publishers have invested in steam.

Valve does not need to go under to shut down servers... They just need to get the idea of changing business model and start to thing keeping Steam up is not so cost effective and turn them off... big corporations made lot of these before even while they were in big profits, some changed their decision after public outrage some not...

http://www.dailytech.com/MSN+Music+Authent...rticle11585.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Disconnects+...article8669.htm

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Valve does not need to go under to shut down servers... They just need to get the idea of changing business model and start to thing keeping Steam up is not so cost effective and turn them off... big corporations made lot of these before even while they were in big profits, some changed their decision after public outrage some not...

http://www.dailytech.com/MSN+Music+Authent...rticle11585.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Disconnects+...article8669.htm

Given that Steam is the only way that Valve likes to distribute their product it seems unlikely that they'll take it down (again, they don't have to pay a publisher like EA part of the profits from the sales because they don't have to go through said company) Plus there are other companies that might go back and hold it up, Ubisoft and EA have both started releasing their products via Steam, and THQ is in love with it, so it feels like it's going to be the ITunes of video game D2Drive stuff vs those two above you've posted.