Hottest place on Earth

Humodour

PARTS of Australia will be hotter than the African plains or Middle Eastern deserts this weekend, while other parts battle raging bushfires and still others cope with widespread flooding.

New South Wales is forecast to become the hottest place on the planet on Sunday, with the current heatwave sending temperatures soaring to 47C. Worst hit will be residents in the western NSW towns of Ivanhoe, Tibooburra and Broken Hill.

Sydney will not be spared either, with the mercury set to reach 44C in the western suburb of Penrith on Sunday, The Daily Telegraph reports.

While the hot, dry and windy conditions are expected to pose an extreme fire danger, parents across the state have also been warned their children's sports matches may not go ahead if coaches deem it too hot to play.

The initiative has been applauded by medical authorities, who said the unusually warm conditions were particularly dangerous for the young and the elderly.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25015424-1242,00.html

Oh yaaaaaaaaaay. 38 Celsius here atm.

Edit: Actually, better link article here: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/266683

Edited by Krezack

Friends of mine measure 48 degrees in the town of Renmark the other day, it's a few hundred k's inland from here :)

Here in Adelaide, it currently hovers a bit over, sometimes a bit below the 40 mark. Should get cooler from Sunday onwards though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'll trade you my -10c + snow for your 38c + dry wind.

edit: I just checked. Make that -12 + snow and wind.

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was about to post a gratuitous picture of some tasteful babeage, but I can't make my mind up about which one.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ive always wondered how people who live in hot places like california or southern europe can work during the day. I cant do anything but sit and perspire when it get close to 30C

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I was about to post a gratuitous picture of some tasteful babeage, but I can't make my mind up about which one.

How about the one that's beet red and has a skin cancer!?

In all seriousness, Can somebody please convert this to Fahrenheit? I suck at math at the moment (but it looks like my two biggest prospects for a major at CC are going to require A LOT of math... them being business and Geology.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In all seriousness, Can somebody please convert this to Fahrenheit?

YOU'RE the one with the weird unit system, you convert it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ive always wondered how people who live in hot places like california or southern europe can work during the day. I cant do anything but sit and perspire when it get close to 30C

Amen.. I was in the Sahara desert at one point when the temperatur reached 48 C and I had to sit under shade, with water poured over me just to keep a good temp. We were 4 from nothern Europe and none of us were able to move, speak or even think for that matter..

Fortune favors the bald.

I prefer the heat, but I cant quite function mentally when it gets that hot.

Sheesh, sucks to be in Australia atm. I rather have a really cold weather, since you can always add another layer of clothes, than an extremely warm one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

But at the same time it's more comfortable to be lying in a slight breeze in 30+ sommer (and be too hot) than in your bed with the heat turned up and still freezing.

Although I love winter I prefer summer more ... freezing sucks.

Fortune favors the bald.

Sheesh, sucks to be in Australia atm. I rather have a really cold weather, since you can always add another layer of clothes, than an extremely warm one.

Good lord no. Just no.

Suffering very hot weather can be unpleasnt to be sure, especially if the humidity is high and you don't have air conditioning, which I didn't for many years, BUT, oh my god, nothing is worse than having to suffer extremely cold weather. Even with heat. Imagine trying to live through -12c weather if you had no heat. That would be a lot more hellish than living through 38c weather with no AC.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I always figured being in lava would be the hottest place on earth in the sense of place we'd normally be able to (accidentally one hopes) find ourselves.

700 to 1,200 degrees C (1,300 to 2,200 degrees F) seems a bit warm.

I suppose the center of the earth could be hotter, but its not terribly likely for us to find ourselves there (the existence of Pellucidar not withstanding).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always figured being in lava would be the hottest place on earth in the sense of place we'd normally be able to (accidentally one hopes) find ourselves.

700 to 1,200 degrees C (1,300 to 2,200 degrees F) seems a bit warm.

I suppose the center of the earth could be hotter, but its not terribly likely for us to find ourselves there (the existence of Pellucidar not withstanding).

Its not really survivable though, for more than the smallest fractions of a second. I guess mentally I included the concept of "the hottest place" being some place that humans could survive for at least a while with basic items like food shelter and water.

I mean the survivable temperature range for humans is pretty narrow, when considered against the range of tenperatures encountered acros the universe or even just the earth.

In all seriousness, Can somebody please convert this to Fahrenheit? I suck at math at the moment (but it looks like my two biggest prospects for a major at CC are going to require A LOT of math... them being business and Geology.)

Dude, it's called Google.

A few easy points for quick & dirty estimation:

-15C = 5F

0C = 32F (water freezes)

10C = 50F

28C = 82F (this one is probably the easiest to remember, and the most useful for daily air temp measurments)

40C = 104F

100C = 212F (water boils)

For temps between those easy-to-remember points, each degree C is 9/5 as big as a degree F, which can be rounded up to 2 for ease of use. So, if someone says it's 32C outside, and you know that 28=82, you can estimate that at about 90F pretty easily (it's 89.6, to be exact).

Footnote: Actual formula is Tf = (9/5)*Tc+32

Good lord no. Just no.

Suffering very hot weather can be unpleasnt to be sure, especially if the humidity is high and you don't have air conditioning, which I didn't for many years, BUT, oh my god, nothing is worse than having to suffer extremely cold weather. Even with heat. Imagine trying to live through -12c weather if you had no heat. That would be a lot more hellish than living through 38c weather with no AC.

We have no A/C, so hot weather makes any living above 30 degrees celsius impossible. However, we have central heating (i have experienced -40 degrees celsius btw) which makes it comfortable to be inside. Besides, if you're outside in the cold, you can always add another layer of clothes in order to keep warm. In hot weather, you strip all your clothes, but then it is of no use, you're litterally boiling up with no where to go. No thank you.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The hottest place on earth (recorded) appears to be Al Aziziyah, Libya on September 13 1922 when it reached 57.8 C.

Here's a converter for us silly Americans.... http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

We're not the hottest place in the states, but it's not unusual for us to get a few 44C (111F) degree days here in Oklahoma every year. Normal summer highs are around 37C (100F). Of course, we also get some really cold days every year (-15C / 5F), too, but not so many of them. Of course, the real reason I love the weather here is that you can get a 21C (70F) degree day in the middle of January on a very regular basis. Last week, we got three inches of sleet, today it's 70 and sunny.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

(i have experienced -40 degrees celsius btw)

That's just horrible. :p

Its not really survivable though, for more than the smallest fractions of a second. I guess mentally I included the concept of "the hottest place" being some place that humans could survive for at least a while with basic items like food shelter and water.

I mean the survivable temperature range for humans is pretty narrow, when considered against the range of tenperatures encountered acros the universe or even just the earth.

See if someone wants to qualify things with survivability then it should be done in the first post. :p:)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man