Benchmarking Ubuntu vs. Vista vs. Windows 7

neckthrough

Uh-hm, it doesn't come with them installed - and there's about the same amount of useful/-less stuff for Windows available on the Net. Kind of a non-argument really *shrug*

Last time I installed linux unless I did a custom install it installed a TON of apps by default.

That vs manually added apps its apples and oranges. Again trying to shift the topic on something unrelated.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Last time I installed linux unless I did a custom install it installed a TON of apps by default.

That vs manually added apps its apples and oranges. Again trying to shift the topic on something unrelated.

Linux is not an OS. there are lots of OSs based on Linux though.

The different Linux based OSs do things differently, some install a lot, some install very little and some run off a USB drive. The user friendly distributions, like Ubuntu, tend to install more programs by default to make the OS easier to install and use for those who are less experienced or those that don't want to bother with the details.

Although, thinking about it, Ubuntu really doesn't come with too many more bundled apps than Windows does.

Linux doesn't care for bloat.

That's why in a default install it comes with 5 browsers, 3 office like suits, 952 text editors, 10 media players, 4 email clients, 3 IM clients, dozen game applets and we have not even gotten to the server tools yet?

If MS did that we'd never hear the end of it...

And yet fits on a single 700MB CD-ROM?

I love it when you confront the linux folks with hypocrisy they try to change the discussion rather then say 'yup... our bad'.

BTW 'bloat' in this context is not defined by the size of the application but by the sheer number of unneeded applications.

Change the discussion? Hardly. My point was that despite all the "unneeded" stuff you talk about, a well-rounded distro fits on a single CD-ROM, so I fail to understand the problem. An Ubuntu installation takes less time than a WinXP installation, so what is harm the "bloated" Ubuntu distribution causing you? FWIW I never accused Windows of unneeded software bloat (yeah Dell machines ship with a ton of crapware but that's Dell's fault, not Microsoft's). If anything, I'd say Windows ships with too *few* useful applications. I think a compiler, a standards-compliant browser, a useful text/code editor, an ssh client and a decent office/productivity suite are things that I would definitely appreciate in a default Windows distribution.

Also keep in mind that your definition of "unneeded" might be very different from some other user's definition. It seems to me that Ubuntu does a very good job of balancing multiple users' needs into the single CDROM for the distro, while providing the remainder via repositories.

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

just so we are on the same page, I'm saying that DRM constitutes bloat because it can slow programs down. I am completely indifferent to whether the linus installation uses 500 or 700 mb. It has no impact on performance, except perhaps boot times because of what is pre loaded. Grasping at straws with the last bit, I don't know how linux handles scratch disks and virtual memory. In any case programs you don't need are easily removed.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I got the ubuntu CD, and windows is already installed, this is the way it's supposed to be right, Windows, then Ubuntu.. otherwise ubuntu could overwrite the windows boot.

The sequence is right, but do you know if you want to do a partition install or a wubi install?

If you're doing a partition install, then Ubuntu will overwrite the windows bootloader, but this is what you want because Ubuntu's bootloader (GRUB) can boot both OS's.

If you're doing a wubi install, then Ubuntu will simply add an entry for itself into the Windows bootloader's menu.

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png