Benchmarking Ubuntu vs. Vista vs. Windows 7

neckthrough

Every single Linux dist is faster and requires less memory to run than either Xp or Vista, so games will run faster provided that they're properly ported.

..but for a user that doesnt know the differance between and OS and a hardware platform, I guess it doesnt matter :p

yes, Im talking aboot rhomal tee-hee!

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Every single Linux dist is faster and requires less memory to run than either Xp or Vista, so games will run faster provided that they're properly ported
Not only that, it's still very driver dependent. Also, I've yet to see image quality comparisons, like: is AA and AF implemented properly. The problem also is OpenGL - not many games appear on that base anymore, and the new standard (3.0) turned out rather disappointing, from what I hear.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Every single Linux dist is faster and requires less memory to run than either Xp or Vista, so games will run faster provided that they're properly ported.

..but for a user that doesnt know the differance between and OS and a hardware platform, I guess it doesnt matter :(

yes, Im talking aboot rhomal tee-hee!

Don't pretend to question my intellect on the topic or imply you know what I do. If you folks would listen to yourself and see how silly you sound. Just because I hit a raw nerve don't lash out as the messenger kiddo. Grow up.

With that said, Your opening statement means little with the topic at hand. BeOS was a more efficient OS memory wise then win32 did that mean it was superior in gaming?

However the key to your post is 'properly ported', even if it is by some of the few examples given here I didn't see these old games wipe the floor of the win32 version. As was said above win32 did better in some tests then others. It was clearly no one clear winner across the board. So aside from your arse where are you getting this opinion?

Let me guess they weren't ported properly or one of the other hundred excuses linux folks have. *shrugs* Or pull out the good old reliable 'could have, should have, would have' bag of tricks linux ppl seem to enjoy digging into. 'well if it was ported properly, and the moon is full and when the next version of the driver is released and the groundhog sees its shadow it would work better and beat windows..'

*shrugs* like I said.. zealots.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

And Im not a zealot.

p.s

you smell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ubuntu rocks! :sorcerer: And no, I'm not a linux zealot. I'm your average power user running a tripple boot system (Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, XP Pro 32-bit). All three have their weaknesses and their strong points. However, it is my experience and my firm belief that Ubuntu is far superior to any MS OS. And here's why:

1.It's free and it's OpenSource.

2.It's more stable than a MS OS (I did not have a CTD or BsoD in Ubuntu yet. I wonder why that is?)

3.No driver installation required. Exception: graphics card drivers, but even in this case Ubuntu is superior, since it properly recognizes your graphics card and offers to download and install the latest drivers, without you having to visit the manufacturer's site).

But the most important part is that it doesn't require any network drivers installation. Once you install Ubuntu and boot to desktop, you are instantly connected to the internet.

4.Bootable live CD that does not just boot you to an interface that allows you to install or repair the OS, as MS OS do, but boots you to a fully functional desktop, as if the OS was fully installed with instant internet access, though -understandably- the OS runs at much lower speed, compared to a full installation. This allows you, for example, to troubleshoot boot problems with any OS, before you resort to reinstalling, or to download missing drivers for Windows. I did not have a mb driver disc with my previous machine, so after reinstalling XP for example I would have a lot of unknown devices in device manager, including the network cards. So, I just booted from the Ubuntu CD, downloaded the drivers and I was good to go.

5.Hardware replacement or upgrades don't affect the OS. And I'm not talking about having to reactivate Windows, whenever you as much as swap out a RAM module, for example. A couple of months back, I decided to upgrade my machine, which meant a new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. I also decided to do it without format and reinstall everything. So, for Windows I had to repair windows afterwards, load all drivers, then delete all ghost devices in device manager left over from the previous machine setup. In Ubuntu all I had to do was boot up (took a tiny bit longer than usual, but once the desktop came up, everything was usable as before. No further action required on my part.)

6.Partitions: an MS OS only sees and can work with it's own native partitions; Ubuntu sees and can work with all partitions.

7.Bundled software, incl. Games: Ubuntu comes bundled with a full Office Suite and other software, incl. simple games. Where a MS OS, has two or three Solitaire games, for example, Ubuntu has a full Solitaire Suite.

8.Flexibility: it is very easy to change a Ubuntu installation to some other linux platform (Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, you name it) by just downloading the appropriate files and installing them. Imagine, for example, XP Home to XP Pro upgrade, simply by downloading required files and installing them.

In conclusion, the only thing that keeps me from ditching all MS OS in favor of Ubuntu is my love for games that require DX. But it's not Ubuntu's fault, that the gaming industry has bowed down to MS and develops PC games almost exclusively for that platform.

Well, I like to be in charge of what's happening on my PC, but many of your points do sound rather Microsoft-y, actually, like 'the user's too stupid, we'll automate it' ;) Anyway, this here

I'm your average power user running a tripple boot system (Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, XP Pro 32-bit).
interests me a lot: what's the cleanest way of setting up such a machine? I'm going to have a similar setup soon, with the exception of Vista, which will be Win 7.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

the people that don't like ubuntu are, apparently, linux developers that develop code for embedded systems that are used to standard linux distributions. apparently ubuntu does some things differently (like file locations) which makes it difficult to deal with. i have only used red hat (fedora) and gentoo (very limited install) so i really don't have a personal basis for an opinion. the contractor i work with has been complaining about it lately, which is why i am aware of this issue.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

> 1.It's free and it's OpenSource.

Unless you are a dev for said OS I don't see the big deal with it being open source. Plenty of great freeware out there that is closed source.

> 2.It's more stable than a MS OS (I did not have a CTD or BsoD in Ubuntu yet. I wonder why that is?)

I can't recall the last time I had a BSoD on my xp box (been years, pre sp2) or 2003 server (never). And CTD vast majority of the time of the time is a issue with the application or conflicting background app, not the OS. As a power user I'd expect you to know this.

> 3.No driver installation required. Exception: graphics card drivers, but even in this case Ubuntu is superior, since it properly recognizes your graphics card and offers to download and install the latest drivers, without you having to visit the manufacturer's site).

If I recall windows update has a driver section it offers to install certified drivers.

> 7.Bundled software, incl. Games: Ubuntu comes bundled with a full Office Suite and other software, incl. simple games. Where a MS OS, has two or three Solitaire games, for example, Ubuntu has a full Solitaire Suite.

So let me get this strait, if MS bundles competing s/w they are being a big bad monopoly. If they don't they are being cheap. So there's really no winning for them apparently by this double standard.

With all that said your other points seem very valid and a credit to the OS. :p

Edited by Rhomal

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Well, I like to be in charge of what's happening on my PC, but many of your points do sound rather Microsoft-y, actually, like 'the user's too stupid, we'll automate it' :( Anyway, this here
I'm your average power user running a tripple boot system (Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, XP Pro 32-bit).
interests me a lot: what's the cleanest way of setting up such a machine? I'm going to have a similar setup soon, with the exception of Vista, which will be Win 7.

1. install the oldest MS OS, in my case XP

2. then install the newest MS OS, in my case Vista

3. install Ubuntu.

If you don't want Ubuntu's bootloader to take over everything, there is an option towards the end of the installation of Ubuntu to install it's bootloader to its own native partition rather than to the MBR. Then use EasyBCD (freeware) from within Win 7 to add it's boot entry to the Win 7 bootloader.

In any case, do some research first; google tripple boot XP Win7 Ubuntu, for example.

Regarding open source, it matters to me, because even if I don't have the knowledge to alter anything, there is plenty of people out there worldwide who do and thus contribute to the improvement of any open source project.

Concerning drivers, the point was that in Ubuntu you don't need to install any drivers, except for graphics card. And yes, I know that Windows Update has a driver section, but to access it, you have to first install network drivers, whereas in Ubuntu you have instant internet access as soon as the installation finishes and you reboot the machine.

And concerning bundled software and double standards, I never accused MS of anything; their competitor's did.

Cool, thanks a lot :)

Rule of thumb ALWAYS install linux last.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Can you install linux from an internal HDD. My drive just gave up and i'm broke.

Not sure why you want to do something silly like install linux.. unless you don't care about game selection or quality software :p

But that aside, if you have the extracted .iso on like a d: or such sure you can.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

> Regarding open source, it matters to me, because even if I don't have the knowledge to alter anything, there is plenty of people out there worldwide who do and thus contribute to the improvement of any open source project.

From my experience with open source projects too many generals(egos) not enough privates, your mileage may vary of course.

> Concerning drivers, the point was that in Ubuntu you don't need to install any drivers, except for graphics card. And yes, I know that Windows Update has a driver section, but to access it, you have to first install network drivers, whereas in Ubuntu you have instant internet access as soon as the installation finishes and you reboot the machine.

Well I am sure if MS updated their XP/vista cd with new drivers every few months they wouldn't have this problem either. Simply a lot easier to update a free .iso online with drivers then pull all the retail copies off a shelf to be replaced. Really a apples and oranges argument.

> And concerning bundled software and double standards, I never accused MS of anything; their competitor's did.

Saying the linux, mac zelots in general. You can thank them for why MS does not do what you requested.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Is there no way to get something with extensive copyright protection written into the code to run on Linux. Isn't there a windows environment emulator. I have no experience with Linux, but I need to be able to handle cross platform and open office and whatnot for work so I'm going to fool around a bit with it.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Is there no way to get something with extensive copyright protection written into the code to run on Linux.

what do you mean by this? are you referring to GPL issues? any program can be compiled to run in linux without violating the GPL as long as dynamic linking to the libraries is used. that's what graphics drivers do (and hence, the reason you need to DL the binary and compile it into a wrapper or sorts to get the driver to work).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I think he meant DRM.. maybe >_<

Some programs with DRM will work under Wine. For programs that dont work under Wine you can run Windows as a guest virtual machine. Though the performance will take a hit, especially if your hardware doesn't support virtualization, and you can pretty much forget about any applications that make significant use of graphics card.

Most likely the support is a bit dodgy for Linux at best.

DRM doesn't care for thievering commies o:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Linux doesn't care for bloat.

That's why in a default install it comes with 5 browsers, 3 office like suits, 952 text editors, 10 media players, 4 email clients, 3 IM clients, dozen game applets and we have not even gotten to the server tools yet?

If MS did that we'd never hear the end of it...

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

- Doreen Valiente

That's why in a default install it comes with 5 browsers, 3 office like suits, 952 text editors, 10 media players, 4 email clients, 3 IM clients, dozen game applets and we have not even gotten to the server tools yet?

And yet fits on a single 700MB CD-ROM?

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

And yet fits on a single 700MB CD-ROM?

I love it when you confront the linux folks with hypocrisy they try to change the discussion rather then say 'yup... our bad'.

BTW 'bloat' in this context is not defined by the size of the application but by the sheer number of unneeded applications.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

- Doreen Valiente