Benchmarking Ubuntu vs. Vista vs. Windows 7

neckthrough

Yes, I'm sure "Tuxradar" is not pro-Ubuntu... >_<

EDIT: Interesting read though. Too bad they didn't include any gaming data.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Did they wait until indexing etc. that keeps the HD busy for quite some time after installing Vista / 7 finished? Apparently not >_< Otherwise, I quite like the test, also the "mouseklicks necessary for default installation" was nice to see.

D_N: Gaming would be rather difficult to compare. 7 drivers are certainly not optimized yet, DX games can't be run under Linux etc.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Yes, I'm sure "Tuxradar" is not pro-Ubuntu... >_<

How could they, linux would get crushed. Thus it would defeat their goal of showing how uber linux is.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Yes, I'm sure "Tuxradar" is not pro-Ubuntu... :ermm:

How could they, linux would get crushed. Thus it would defeat their goal of showing how uber linux is.

Exactly. >_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm switching to Ubuntu now, so I guess this good news.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes, I'm sure "Tuxradar" is not pro-Ubuntu... :p

Yet another ignorant post by Rhomal. :)

Try looking up these 4 characters some time champ: ext4

I was surpised to see that the x64 versions of Windows were so much slower than the x32 counterparts, thats not the way its supposed to be.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, I'm sure "Tuxradar" is not pro-Ubuntu... :p

Yet another ignorant post by Rhomal. :(

Try looking up these 4 characters some time champ: ext4

This from the card carrying member of the cheerleading squad of open source/linux who does not let little things like hard data get in his way of his views. After I smacked you around in the DNN CMS more secure then most all other PHP CMS's with facts (me) rather then ignorance is bliss (you) I thought you would have learned your lesson. Clearly not.

That a side, Your stance is linux can beat a PC in gaming benchmarks overall? Do you really want to go there? Seriouslly?

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

That a side, Your stance is linux can beat a PC in gaming benchmarks overall?

n00b.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That a side, Your stance is linux can beat a PC in gaming benchmarks overall?

n00b.

Fine I'll give you the attention you crave..

splitting hairs aside you know what my point is. Don't be anal.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Nobody in their right mind would ever consider Linux to be an attractive platform for Windows games (or any other Windows applications for that matter), so lets not get into meaningless debates. That wasn't the point of the article (or the thread).

Getting back on topic, Rhomal, do you dispute the data provided in the linked article?

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

I would feel more comforatable if it was done by a reputable, independant site not some fly by night one few folks have heard of.

That aside it is what it is, a beta OS comparison vs a non-beta one. *shrugs* So sure I'll agree with it more or less. Lets revist the topic after SP1 for win7 and then lets talk at least then we'll be on even footing for the most part.

Hells might as well put win7 on a P4 with 512meg ram and 5400rpm IDE drive while you are at it. Of course any beta is going to perform not as good as something with polish. Common sense really.

Now on equal footing do I think the ext file format could still beat win7? Yes its possible depending on the variables. But this means little until win7 is gold at the very least and a equal compariason can then be made.

As for vista, its crap so the results don't surprise me I have seen similar results long before this. Hence why I still use XP.

But I am sure the linux zelots are going to disagree and flame me with their warped logic... *shrugs*

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I would feel more comforatable if it was done by a reputable, independant site not some fly by night one few folks have heard of.

That aside it is what it is, a beta OS comparison vs a non-beta one. *shrugs* So sure I'll agree with it more or less. Lets revist the topic after SP1 for win7 and then lets talk at least then we'll be on even footing for the most part.

Now on equal footing do I think the ext file format could still beat win7? Yes its possible depending on the variables. But this means little until win7 is gold at the very least and a equal compariason can then be made.

As for vista, its crap so the results don't surprise me I have seen similar results long before this. Hence why I still use XP.

Agreed.

Hells might as well put win7 on a P4 with 512meg ram and 5400rpm IDE drive while you are at it. Of course any beta is going to perform not as good as something with polish. Common sense really.

Now that's warped logic. From what I've read, Win 7 even in Beta form seems to be quite polished. MS is moving from Beta to RC to Release at a very fast pace not necessarily because of marketing factors, but also because of the stability of the product. Win 7 is really the release version of the Alpha/Beta program that was called Windows Vista. I know you were exaggerating to prove a point, but your analogy was way off IMHO. We'll probably see a couple of tweaks here and there, that's all.

But I am sure the linux zelots are going to disagree and flame me with their warped logic... *shrugs*

Yeah well any kind of brand zealotry is silly. I haven't seen that many Linux zealots though, I think *most* users fully understand its strengths and weaknesses. Plus, undeserved praise and fanboyism is hard to sustain for a product that anyone can instantly download and evaluate for themselves free of cost.

Edit: In other Ubuntu news, HP has put together a slick new interface for their netbooks: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/04/hp...ace-for-ubuntu/

Edited by neckthrough

This from the card carrying member of the cheerleading squad of open source/linux who does not let little things like hard data get in his way of his views. After I smacked you around in the DNN CMS more secure then most all other PHP CMS's with facts (me) rather then ignorance is bliss (you) I thought you would have learned your lesson. Clearly not.

Bemusingly, you posted the results of a search query and claimed that was 'hard data'. Of course people were going to laugh at you.

That a side, Your stance is linux can beat a PC in gaming benchmarks overall? Do you really want to go there? Seriouslly?

It's most probable a game natively compiled on Linux would run faster than the same game natively compiled on Windows, yes.

2007 benchmarks - Linux vs Windows

Doom 3: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...m=897&num=2

Quake Wars: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...m=897&num=3

It really depends on the drivers as to how well the game will run. As a gaming platform Linux based operating systems suck because they simply don't have the support that Windows does.

> Bemusingly, you posted the results of a search query and claimed that was 'hard data'. Of course people were going to laugh at you.

'search' for data on THAT SITE. Its a internal site search. No different then using the search here to find a specific post or post by someone. How else you want me to find the references, go though thousands of pages of exploit reports manually? You really don't know when yo toss in the towel do you?

I have yet to hear the words out of your mouth 'thats info is false' or 'thats not a reputable security site'. You has tossed everything else at the wall hoping it will stick.. hehe

> It's most probable a game natively compiled on Linux would run faster than the same game natively compiled on Windows, yes.

That wasn't a stipulation of the question. I am referring to modern games (2006+) port or no port. That aside nice opinion, got any facts to back then up none the less?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

It really depends on the drivers as to how well the game will run. As a gaming platform Linux based operating systems suck because they simply don't have the support that Windows does.

You somewhat proved my point by using 2 dinosaur games as a example. But yes thats my point, linux is not a gaming platform. It can do games but thats not its main goal or function. Web or related server sure does a good job, gaming box not so much.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

You somewhat proved my point by using 2 dinosaur games as a example. But yes thats my point, linux is not a gaming platform. It can do games but thats not its main goal or function. Web or related server sure does a good job, gaming box not so much.

I think everyone agrees that Linux is not a gaming platform, but the point here is that this is NOT because of anything inherent to the OS that makes it un-amenable for gaming.

It's not a gaming platform because because nobody compiles or optimizes their games for it. The few games that do get compiled natively end up performing well.