Dragon Age Discussion

deganawida

Groar, me hate consoles, groar groar.

I wonder how much of a payoff there is in withholding a pc version for other consoles, but hopefully they use the time to polish it up.

I mean, DIE BIOWARE DIE

I call for a massive boycott of this Dragon Age. Us PC gamers are tired of being treated like second citizens. The only way Bioware will get this through their thick skull is if we ALL boycott the game en masse and show them that pissing off your loyal PC fanbase is a very bad idea.

To arms, my PC brethen, to arms!

This sickens me to the bone. Freaking Dragon Age. More like Dragon Playstation3 LOL.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Umm, was anyone actually expecting this to release in March or whenever it was supposed to be released. Maybe they'll use the time to polish the game in general/PC version because god knows they need it.

I have my reservations about Dragon Age, but I think that the delay can only make it better. How many times have games sucked because they were rushed out the door? I'll be happy if it actually WORKS on the PC as opposed to say GTA IV etc.

I might get it... if it is more interesting than the previews make it out to be. :(

You overestimate Bioware.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Isn't this supposed to be an infinity engine style game? How is that going to work on a console? The way I see it, they'll either beat the complexity out of the game with a stick to accommodate gamepads, or the game will be a nightmare to control on consoles.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Isn't this supposed to be an infinity engine style game? How is that going to work on a console? The way I see it, they'll either beat the complexity out of the game with a stick to accommodate gamepads, or the game will be a nightmare to control on consoles.

You haven't drunk your kool aid man! It's Bioware, believe!

To be honest the console stuff doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, but maybe they don't change the PC version and only mess with the console version. This could be the ONLY "good" Dragon Age with workable pc-centric controls.

It'd be pretty straightforward to implement gamepad controls for a IE-style game. Quick buttons to scroll between allied and enemy targets. Quick menus to access skillsets, using submenus to make things easier to find. These would take mere seconds to get to. The main thing is that clicking for movement would be faster than using the analog stick to do the same. It's wouldn't AS efficient, but it'd still be pretty efficient.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It seems to me that what you describe would be a lot more cumbersome, Llyr. You would spend most of the game scrolling and scrolling through infinite menus to get anything done.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought simultaneous PC and console releases was taboo because the pirates would just pirate the PC version. Aren't we afraid of the evil pirates anymore?

Don't they pirate it anyway? I don't think that is the reason PC ports usually come months after the game is released. Either the porting takes longer or there are incentives (hint: money).

This is seriously disappointing as DA is the only game I've been looking forward to. A big plus that it was touted as a "dedicated" PC game. Now I don't recall Jade Empire or Mass Effect, "dedicated" console games, being held up for six months to coincide with the PC release so yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it. I like Fallout 3 a lot, but not enough to replay it for the next 6-7 months.

Crap. :(

I'm pretty sure they will encourage the over-the-cam 'drive' mode like we've seen in NWN and KOTOR, then the use of the shoulder buttons to cycle through available characters. The RHS buttons to open up menus for spells and abilities. It would still be faaairly clunky, though, unless they seriously dumb it down.

(There's a lot of hoopla about using the phrase dumbing down, but it is, technically & literally, dumbing it down when you have to accommodate gamepads.)

"but it is, technically & literally, dumbing it down when you have to accommodate gamepads"

No. It's about using the machine it is on.

Good news anyways. 'Cause I get to read rabid PC fanatics cry about 'betrayal', 'greed' (when such crying is about selfish personal stuff 'ie i want the game, and i want the game now, and i don't want consoles to have it crap').

PC gamers treat companies like crap so they deserve to have no mercy.

Good on BIO, and EA. They are doing what they feel is in THEIR best interest. As well they should.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I thought simultaneous PC and console releases was taboo because the pirates would just pirate the PC version. Aren't we afraid of the evil pirates anymore?

The original plan was to release the PC version six months before the console version.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Marketing probably has a role in this decision. It's too expensive to sustain continued serious hype levels to cover 2 months-apart release dates. Given the relative sizes of the markets (in the U.S., at least), if the publisher is going to time the hype for one release, it's going to be the console one. Release for PC first, and you risk actual independent assessments of the game interfering with your carefully crafted ad copy and "exclusive previews."

Edit: Despite some misgivings about Bioware's record of "polished and enjoyable, but ultimately disappointing" games, I do find myself looking forward to Dragon Age. A lot of the underlying concepts they've talked about mirror some of my own prejudices with regard to fantasy universes (e.g., the idea that confirmable, repeatable Acts of God(s) and certainty regarding the afterlife undercut the creators' efforts to make characters who the audience can identify with), so the prospect of seeing a fantasy setting more in-tune with my tastes is exciting.

Edited by Enoch

Guys, its going to play so much better on the PC, anyway. Don't worry.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"