Sammael's d20 fantasy revision

Sammael

I've mentioned a couple of times that I'm working on a revision of D&D rules, basically my own "3.75" version of D&D. While there are some good concepts in 4E, it simply doesn't feel like D&D to me anymore. Unlike other critics, I guess, I decided to try and overhaul the system myself, which is not a small undertaking by any stretch of imagination. Progress is slow, but the overall framework is done and what remains now are the details - let me tell you, going through every single spell in the PH and revising it to fit the new rules is not a fun job.

Anyway, I guess I have the first "finished" thing to show: I completed the character sheet today since I'm going to start a small playtest campaign to see how badly I've managed to screw up the balance. You can download the sheet here: http://duke.sammael.googlepages.com/DD3.75charactersheet.pdf

I won't comment on the system in great detail yet (although I will entertain any questions that may arise from looking at the sheet), but I will state that my goals in revising the system were as follows:

1) Speed up gameplay

2) Remove redundant elements (classes, skills, spells, equipment, derived stats, etc).

3) Eliminate magic item dependency

4) Rebalance the classes to make them more fun and viable in all sorts of situations

5) Eliminate the slew of different bonus types and reduce bonus stacking

6) Flatten the power curve somewhat

Constructive questions and comments are welcome.

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

You only have 8 classes?

That's pretty old school..

Hey, I'll take it. Anything is better than 4E.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You only have 8 classes?

That's pretty old school..

The ones I removed (barbarian, monk, sorcerer) are generally redundant under the revision. Barbarian and monk are just fighters with an appropriate selection of class features, skills, and feats, and sorcerer and wizard were essentially merged to create the "mage" class (think of it as a sorcerer who can change his spell selection every day).

I'm also doing away with prestige classes. They caused a needless struggle to meet the prerequisites, forcing players to plan their characters from level one in order to qualify. Under the revision, many former prestige class abilities will be presented as restricted feats (i.e. they can only be taken after the character fulfills an appropriate in-game challenge).

While I do dislike 4E, I think it has some good points, and some parts of my revision are undoubtedly inspired by certain 4E elements. I will not, however, try to pidgeon-hole classes into "combat roles." I also won't streamline the game to the point where it seems that all classes play the same (one of the bigger shortfalls of 4E, IMO).

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I guess it's a matter of playing style - I always liked trying to work through the maze of 3.5E figuring out how to get a specific feat / prestige class and still try to roleplay without powergaming.. Which, let's face it - D&D really leans towards.

But it's an interesting idea, I especially agree with your attempt to remove the "blandness" of the classes that was introduced in 4E.

Fortune favors the bald.

I just finished revising 1st level (tier 1) druid spells , so I figured I'd post them here as another preview. As a general note, druids are now spontaneous casters. Druid spells are called invocations, since I am trying to make a distinction between various types of magic effects - bards get spellsongs, clerics get prayers, druids get invocations, and mages get spells. Druids begin play with 2 tier 1 invocations known, and they gain 2 more at 2nd level. At 3rd level, they gain 2 tier 2 invocations known, and so on. They begin play with 2 tier 1 slots (plus bonus slots equal to their Wisdom attribute - which is the equivalent of 3.5 Wisdom modifier), and gain 2 more slots at 2nd level. At 3rd level, they gain 2 tier 2 slots, and so on.

The statblock should be pretty self-documenting, except for a few details. First of all, to reduce bookkeeping, I eliminated durations. Instead, I am using the "sustain" mechanic - if the caster wishes to prolong the effect, he must spend actions in the following rounds to concentrate on it. Most effects require only a minor action to be sustained. However, if the caster wishes to sustain multiple effects, he will have to sacrifice his standard and move actions to do so, since you only get 1 minor action per round. This will (hopefully) also get rid of the ridiculous amount of buffs and ongoing effects that was so prevalent in 3.x.

Those who are familiar with druid spells will notice that many invocations detailed below combine the aspects of multiple older druid spells. The reason for this is twofold; first, with the greatly reduced number of invocations known (druids automatically gained knowledge of all spells on their spell list), I had to make invocations more flexible. Second, many spells were so bad that practically nobody every memorized them, or only did so once or twice for some campaign-specific reason.

Several spells didn't make the cut for various reasons.

To compensate for loss of spell power, druids now get wild shape (albeit limited) from level 1. More on that in the near future.

TIER 1 INVOCATIONS

Animal Empathy

Action: Standard

Target: Self

Check: Earthlore + Wis

Sustain: Move

Components: V, M

You become able to communicate with animals in a limited fashion, using body language and guttural sounds. You can make Insight, Intimidation, and Persuasion checks to calm animals, befriend them, and obtain valuable information. You receive a magic bonus on these checks equal to your Earthlore rating. As long the invocation is sustained, all animals see you as one of their kind and their initial attitude towards you is indifferent.

Material component: Special scent that has a calming effect on animals

Chilling Wind

Area: Line

Components: V, S

You unleash a blast of cold air that extends up to the close range. The blast deals 1d6 points of cold damage (plus 1 point of additional cold damage per rank in Earthlore) to all creatures within its path and is sufficiently strong to extinguish small fires.

If you direct the invocation at the ground under your feet, you can use chilling wind to propel you upward, up to the invocation's normal range. At any point during your ascent, you can take a step in any direction, which ends the invocation immediately.

Create Water

Range: Close

You create a volume of water which may not exceed 10 liters per rank in Earthlore. The water is wholesome and pure, and you can decide whether the created water will appear in containers prepared to receive it, as a downpour, simply fill the ground creating mud (10 l of water is sufficient to turn one 1 m2 of earth into mud), or as a stream that can be used to daze opponents (Acrobatics + Dex to avoid).

Entangle

Range: Medium

Area: Plants in a 10 m radius spread

Sustain: Minor

Check: Earthlore + Wis vs. Acrobatics + Dex

Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. Entangled creatures can break free by taking a standard action to make a Deftness + Dex or Athletics + Str check (DC = original Earthlore check result).

The affected area is treated as difficult terrain until the end of the encounter (or longer, if the effect is sustained).

Each round on your turn, you can spend a move action to direct the plants once again to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

Special: If you are wielding a shillelagh-imbued weapon when you use this invocation, you get a +1 magic bonus on the check and can sustain both effects with a single minor action.

Obscuring Mist

Area: Spread centered on invoker

A thick misty vapor surrounds you and extends up to the close range. Once created, the mist is stationary and persists until dispersed. The vapor reduces visibility to 1 meter - within the mist, creatures that are 1 meter away have concealment and those that are further away are treated as invisible. Moderate wind disperses the mist in 1 minute, and stronger winds disperse it in 1 round.

In areas of low humidity, such as deserts, the mist is formed from sand, dust, or other particles appropriate to the terrain, but the effect is the same.

Produce Flame

Target: One combustible object

You ignite one combustible object within range. The power of this invocation is sufficient to immediately light a moderately-sized bonfire. If you ignite a worn object, the creature wearing the object takes 1d6 points of damage per round until it extinguishes the flames (flames can be extinguished as a standard action). If you ignite an object you are holding, you do not take any damage and the object inflicts +1d6 points of fire damage if used as a weapon.

Purify Food and Drink

Target: 1 kg of food or drink (10 food items) per rank in Earthlore

Range: Touch

You make food and drink pure and suitable for eating and drinking, regardless of prior conditions. Furthermore, eating or drinking some of the food and drink purified in this manner heals 1 hit point per food item eaten (up to a maximum of 10 hp per creature per day).

Shillelagh

Any weapon you wield (which must be made mostly of wood, stone, or combination of the two) becomes imbued with the power of earth, reinforced and more potent in combat. Such weapons gain a +1 magic bonus on attack and damage. If you throw the weapon, it retains the bonus until it hits or misses the target, but if anyone else picks it up, the magic disappears.

Static Charge

Target: One creature or object

You imbue the target with an electrical charge.

If the target is a creature, whenever it moves or comes into contact with another creature, it takes 1 point of lighting damage. The effect persists until the target releases the charge, which requires a standard action and inflicts 1d6 points of lightning damage to the target.

If the target is an object, the first creature that comes into contact with the object takes 1d6 points of lighting damage and is paralyzed for 1 round (Endurance + Con negates paralysis). The charge dissipates after 1 day.

Survival of the Fittest

Components: V, S, M

Your ability to survive in the wilderness is greatly increased. You do not suffer any ill effects from temperature extremes; you always know the direction you're facing; you gain a +4 magic bonus on checks made to detect natural hazards (including snares and pits), and creatures trying to track you take a -10 penalty on checks made to follow your tracks.

Material component: A chunk of soil from the current terrain which must be smeared on the invoker's face

Edited by Sammael

Generally speaking, no. I only enforce it if the material components are costly or if the spellcaster doesn't have his component pouch with him for some reason.

I do like to specify the components in case the player wants to use them to describe his actions.