TSL Restoration Project: The Phantom Deadline, READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Seems I already had a active account but oh well, can't find a way to delete threads so just have to leave it there. Anyway I want to add to what I wrote above that I don't get the teams attitude to the whole thing. Now if this was something they had never advertised, never created a forum about and never said they would release I might have understood it. The moment you let people know you are working on something though I personally believe you have to live with the interest of others good and bad. Considering they still claim the whole thing is almost done and will be released it's no surprise to anyone there are people who like to know when.

I follow a lot of mods and that one seems to take more heat then the project that start, goes on for a while and then shut down and the reason for it I think is that the restoration project has given the behavior of dead projects for a looong time now but unlike those teams that simply vanishes or stop by and say it's over they still claim to be on track while it's obvious to most nothing is being done. If they just came right out and admited it's dead and it might be completed sometime in the future but they have no clue when people would accept that and move on. Instead they insist it's being alive and flame those that seem to question if that's true or not. It's been four years now so I won't think anyone would be crushed if they just admited that they lost all motivations to go on.

Anyway even if the restoration team will release it I wonder if anyone will notice at that point. That's just my feeling on the matter at least.

Edited by zazei

Guest Slinky

Who cares will Dashus ever finish TSLRP. He hasn't done anything to move the mod forward or told anybody anything about what is going on, doesn't that tell enough? The best thing he could do is to give the mod to people who would finish it but I really doubt he will even consider that.

But who cares, the TSL Restored Content Mod has stood up.

Negativity that could have been resolved with the post he made today

I was just letting ppl know that they do not need to loose hope, there would still be someone who would release it in the likehood that the project would die.

I was not going to release it until i knew for sure that the project was dead, which is why i made that thread to see if dashus would respond.

trust me i do not want this project to fail anymore then you do, but i wanted the community to know that even if it was to die it would be released one way or another.

You've been on the T-G forums long enough to know that is patently false. People have been calling this mod dead, the team a bunch of posers and the community a bunch of deluded fanboys for years now, even when the team actually communicated on a semi-regular basis. The negativity came first, then Dashus left the public eye, not the other way around.

On top of that, your "threat" was completely unnecessary. If the team were unable or unwilling to continue working on the mod, they would release what they had already done. This has always been the "contingency plan" and Dash's lack of public communication did not change that. All you did was unnecessarily exacerbate an already heated situation to the point where Dash's update is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing to settle things down. People are already calling for you to leak the mod anyway, despite your promise to the contrary. You made things worse, not better.

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

userbar2kq0.jpg

cogadh.jpeg

Negativity that could have been resolved with the post he made today

I was just letting ppl know that they do not need to loose hope, there would still be someone who would release it in the likehood that the project would die.

I was not going to release it until i knew for sure that the project was dead, which is why i made that thread to see if dashus would respond.

trust me i do not want this project to fail anymore then you do, but i wanted the community to know that even if it was to die it would be released one way or another.

You've been on the T-G forums long enough to know that is patently false. People have been calling this mod dead, the team a bunch of posers and the community a bunch of deluded fanboys for years now, even when the team actually communicated on a semi-regular basis. The negativity came first, then Dashus left the public eye, not the other way around.

On top of that, your "threat" was completely unnecessary. If the team were unable or unwilling to continue working on the mod, they would release what they had already done. This has always been the "contingency plan" and Dash's lack of public communication did not change that. All you did was unnecessarily exacerbate an already heated situation to the point where Dash's update is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing to settle things down. People are already calling for you to leak the mod anyway, despite your promise to the contrary. You made things worse, not better.

Yes there is negativity coming out of that forum, but that is just the small minority of people that still post there. There are many more people just waiting for the mod that now only lurk and check in every so often to see if there has been any progress. If you guys don't feel the rude minority that still post negative things aren't due any updates, what about the majority of silent types not giving any problems to Dash?

I'm happy to hear Dashus seems to be a in a good place in his real life, but I found his reply kind of rude. Maybe that is my impression just because it confirmed what I was beginning to think was true, he hasn't done anything in months despite some beta testers on there still saying he is plugging away at it.

Edited by Lidda-Bit

Dashus post is proof that the beta testers and moderators no nothing about the status of the mod

If you noticed most of them were saying that dashus was still working on the mod and that it was alive and well, as well as flaming everyone that made a "is it alive" thread

Here are a few quotes:

07/12/09 Darth Windu:

Firstly, don't make a thread with that title, you're just being an ass.

Secondly, the project has not been abandoned, Dash just isn't using Mantis.

Thirdly, you have no right to demand anything.

07/12/09 Loony636:

Well if you'd taken a brief moment to check out the thread below, you'll know that the team is no longer using the Mantis.

The project is not dead, progress is always sporadic and it is still happening.

07/17/2009 Darth InSidious:

Having spoken to Dashus as recently as the day before yesterday:

1. He already knows about DStoney and zbyl2;

2. He's not bothered;

3. He seems to have as much enthusiasm as ever for the RP

The DarkSide Clouds Everything

...and I think that is enogh cross forum arguments for one thread >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Actually, Dash only responded because KB contacted him at my request. If you read what he wrote, he hasn't been paying attention to the forums at all, since there has been nothing but negativity emanating from there for a long time now.

I think they deserve all this negativity. It's ok to me if they don't have the time to finish the mod, but they should have at least the decency to admit it. After their announcement like "2 weeks" (for a one year old video!) and their overall snobbish behavior, it's clear to me that they love being at the center of everyone's attention. They should know that there are many modders out there that are waiting for them to complete their project so that they may make their own mods compatible with TSLRP.

I really don't understand why they don't ask for help from some new modders to finish the project. With an attitude such as this, they won't get any sympathy and people will turn away from them.

I simply don't care anymore and I wish the other team manages to release their mod before TG. TG simply deserves the humiliation.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Dashus post is proof that the beta testers and moderators no nothing about the status of the mod

If you noticed most of them were saying that dashus was still working on the mod and that it was alive and well, as well as flaming everyone that made a "is it alive" thread

Here are a few quotes:

07/17/2009 Darth InSidious:

Having spoken to Dashus as recently as the day before yesterday:

1. He already knows about DStoney and zbyl2;

2. He's not bothered;

3. He seems to have as much enthusiasm as ever for the RP

While I shouldn't have to respond to such a stunning example of illiteracy, but I will anyway, and point out that nothing in that particular quote is either a flame or claims the mod was being worked on at that moment; it was a report of what he said to me, and nothing else, provided upon request from someone who asked.

I should also point out that loony636 isn't and hasn't ever been to my knowledge a beta tester and that Darth Windu does not count as a majority of the beta-testers. Miltiades has as always been well-tempered and polite in almost all cases, and I don't recall posting in any such threads myself in the last six months. From what I've seen, cogadh has been business-like at worst, and since we are, as far as I know, the most frequently-posting betas, it would seem that once again your claims have no basis in fact whatsoever.

I simply don't care anymore and I wish the other team manages to release their mod before TG. TG simply deserves the humiliation.

That rather begs the question as to why you're still posting about it, then...

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I haven't posted more than twice in this thread. I just wanted to express my general dissatisfaction towards TG.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Maybe we should start talking about The Black Hound. That always seems to take Ramza's mind off other things :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gorth is going to close this if you keep going on about that... :wacko:

First I'll see if pruning the threads from this page onwards helps. If that fails, then indeed ponder whether or not this thread (and topic in general) has outlived its usefulness. It did after all start out as a communication thread. Nothing much useful information to communicate anymore by the looks of it.

(pruning started)

Dash's post seemed kind of... I dunno... rude? The old saying is don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk... sure, they don't OWE us anything since it's a mod they're working on for free, but generating all the hype they did back in the day (and again when they released the most recent trailer) is pretty ridiculous when later on your work schedule has cut down to "when I get to it." Typically you wouldn't expect a "guys, calm down" thread to basically say "I'll get to it when I feel like it. I've got better things to do you know!" Never let the project give a motivational speech, that's for sure...

Well.. It's not my point, but yep.. And you know what Dirty Russian Ivan do next? Destroy capitalism! Again. New circle! Is it madnes? Now! It's RUSSIAAAAA!!!!!!!1111111111oneoneone :thumbsup:

Point taken! Marx (ho-hum) once said that history that repeats itself is at first a comedy and then a tragedy. :lol:

What the world needs is some good time anarchism, Bakunin-style.

Edited by refuse

• 2 weeks later...

So, TSL Restored Content Modification (TSLRCM) vs TSLRP

-Cut Content: TSLRCM will have more cut content in general. Stuff like Atris as Traya, Selling Vrook into slavery, and Dustil Onasi will be left out because there is no enough material and they don't make sense anyway, however they are also things you won't find in TSLRP either. The only piece of cut content TSLRP will have that TSLRCM will not have is the GenoHaradan, which is being restored and expanded upon in a separate mod that can be used in conjunction with TSLRCM. It is not being restored with TSLRCM because the only way to really integrate it into the game without expanding it is TSLRP's way, and the way they do it makes little sense.

-Bug Fixing: The Distinguished Opposition (Team Gizka) claims that they are fixing every single bug in the game. In addition to slowing down their progress, this has served to only create more bugs. TSLRCM has fixed pretty much every major ingame bug from the unmodded version of TSL, as well as plenty of smaller bugs too. However, we are not fixing every single small bug such as awkward camera angles and grammar errors that were there to begin with because that is not what we are setting out to do. This is a TSL Restored Content Mod, not a TSL Perfection Mod. However, unlike The Distinguished Opposition and TSLRP, we plan on offering continuous support for TSLRCM after the release, so patches with bug fixes are perfectly possible.

-High Quality: As I said above, TSLRCM is not a mod designed to make TSL perfect like TSLRP aims to do. We really don't have the time or patience to rebuild the entire game, which is probably why TSLRP has slowed down so much. We can improve things after the release if requested, or support mods that do that. Granted, we don't have the new lean animation or the camera angles or whatnot. What we are offering to the community is to have TSLRCM done now and if necessary improve other aspects of the game later.

http://www.deadlystream.com/showthread.php?t=299

They're not fixing the influence system, IIRC. There are one or two other things it's not doing, like the GenoHaradan, which they're producing a special add-on of their own for, with their own plot interpolations.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I do not think it maters if any of them come out at all. Its only a game. Knights of the Old Republic 2 is five and a half years old. Its time to move onto other Obsidian games. Once (if) these mods ever do come out, whoever is interested in downloading them will. Do not forget that TSLRP is on a indefinite hiatus. It will most likely come out, and not many people will have noticed.

Arguing over these mods is a mute point. Life moves on.

Edited by Lord Darius

I have long since stopped caring, and didn't even realize until wandering into this thread that there was another.

You're right that few people care. Which ever mod does come out first, the other will probably get zero coverage at all because those that have been waiting, already got it from the first mod.

After their announcement like "2 weeks" (for a one year old video!) and their overall snobbish behavior, it's clear to me that they love being at the center of everyone's attention.
Okay, not to be contrary or anything, but didn't Dash pretty much say that he doesn't even go to the number one place that attention for the mod goes to anymore? I mean, I'm not trying to defend him or anything, but that part of your post just confused me.

It's really funny how some people feel the need to attack Team Gizka anytime they can. Did TG kill your dogs, else I can't explain why anyone would be so hateful.

If you prefer TSLRCM, fine, if you want to stick with TSLRP that's fine as well. No need to get all worked up over stuff like that. Neither does your life depend on it, nor will insulting someone speed up anything, it's just childish behaviour.

This constant whining is really impressive. Normally people would just stop following something if things didn't go their way, apparently not everyone is capable of that.

Comparison's are inevitable, but it probably would be better to start a different thread since they are different projects with a different scope. Plus it will give less opportunity for people to whine about one or other.

Back to TG's project: Does anybody know to what degree TSLRP beta is complete? And also, are they going to release what work they have for others to play, complete work on or whatever?

I doubt he's written off the past four years, but I also doubt he gave a damn for four years (from the looks of it, it looks like any mod work has mostly been untouched for the past year and a half, with sporadic bouts of work). But then again, with so many awesome games that have come out since TSL, it's only natural that he would have moved on to other things ('real' life included). The fire has gone out.

In any case, are there any plans of releasing the latest/last beta, or is that simply going to dissappear? With the amount of modders out there at the moment, it would be interesting to see if anyone picks up where TG have (apparently) decided to call it quits.