TSL Restoration Project: The Phantom Deadline, READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Where is the video again? And Refuse: what do you mean by private?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It remains to be seen. I have the suspition that the wait will be somewhat anti-climatic, like announcing a vague release date for January 2010 or something. Hell, those 2 weeks passed and now it's 'wait until Saturday'. If it turns out to be anything less of an improved public build (compared to the leaked one), this '2 weeks' hype will only contribute to further flamming and baiting.

By private I mean that you have to be invited to view (via youtube), it's not available to everyone. Have a look for yourself here.

It's private because it's not supposed to be seen until the 4th of April, which was pretty obvious actually.

Interesting enough, flaming and baiting only happens by those who somehow think that they have a right to get something...

Edited by Dark Wastl

I'm fairly certain that 17+(7*2)=31. Unless you live in a magical land where a week is made of nine days, the update should have happened yesterday.

20795.jpg

So Dashus was attention whoring with his "Two weeks!" post. Who could've seen that coming from TG?

Dash posted the 'two weeks' notice on Tuesday 17th, Saturday 3rd or Sunday 4th is still within two weeks of that date.

Ah, a very creative excuse, i also used to use that line for getting things done.

- When i said "two weeks!" to my friend about my deadline for borrowing a dvd-player, it meant on the 14th day after, before midnight. After that, he would automatically stop lending me stuff, since i fail to return when i was supposed to.

- When i said "two weeks!" to my professor about my deadline, it meant on the 14th day after, before midnight. After that he would've automatically give me an "F".

- When i said "two weeks!" to my boss about my deadline, it meant on the 14th day after, before midnight. After that he would've automatically ask why i should work there, since they are losing thousands of dollars for each extra day.

Having ambiguous interpretations on deadlines works wonders with friends, with school and at work. Modders are excused.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It was my impression that since TG have respectfully been consistent with the 'when it's done' thing, that they would be careful about generating hype and (possibly unfounded?) expectations. What other purposes do cryptic messages and a 'final trailer' you can't watch serve, other than to indicate a certainty that the end is right around the corner? In any case, it remains to be seen, hopefully next weekend I (and many others) will have reason to re-install TSL.

But owed? God no [and I consider myself an antitheist]! I'm more amused by the whole situation than anything else. If I'm owed anything by anyone, it's a better Watchmen film, for which I paid

Allow me to be candid for a moment: I don't give a rat's arse about when this mod or even IF this mod will be released. I haven't lost hope, but take a look around you. The world eceonomy is in something called a disaster/turmoil at the moment. If the Team chooses to care more about their RL or something else for that matter - is their choice.

I'm instead awaiting eagerly a Lord of the Rings-conversion mod for Medieval II: Total war which is on 97% meaning they're two weeks away from their first release. When TG's Restoration Project is out, I'll definately play it. Two weeks or no Two weeks.

I just wish Dash and the others best of luck on this project.

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster - and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you"

QUOTE(The Architect @ May 9 2007, 05:18 PM)

And if LA announces KotOR III will never be made shortly after TSLRP is shut down, is it reasonable to assume that what happened to Alderaan in A New Hope would happen to LA HQ?

The supahsiicret trailer is now up for public viewing. A very well made one, except for the final text in the end:

SUMMER 2008

Yes, coming summer 2008. Yup, yup. Hum-hum.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

So, hyping a trailer that should've been, by the looks of it, released last winter. That is reely funnae.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Clarification: the trailer is indeed a year old. We had been discussing potential release dates...and we missed it. I presented Dash with the trailer - which needed to be tuned up a bit. When it was obvious that it wasn't going to be released, I was already with the original movie file to do a quick switch (really, it would've taken less then 5 minutes) but Dash wanted to actually poke a little fun at us with the notion that we missed the guessed release date. The release date that we (as in the team and beta-team) guessed. Whoops.

Just so we're clear Dash meant it to be poking fun at themselves, not the public (though some might feel it was directed at them). :lol:

Plans have been updated as well:

There are two (2) builds remaining until public release.
1.0b11 will be released in the coming days to the beta testers and is considered Release Candidate 1.
1.0b12 will be then be released as RC2.
1.0c1 will be released publicly when all Block, Crash and Major bugs have been resolved from 1.0b12.

You know, I've been in bands and used to think that exchanging in-jokes with my drummer on-stage would entertaining the audience during the awkward silence when a guitar string needed to be changed. It's actually not.

In any case, the good news is that there seems to be some substantial progress going on.

Just so we're clear Dash meant it to be poking fun at themselves, not the public (though some might feel it was directed at them). :p

Gee, now I wonder where on Earth they would get that idea. :thumbsup:

If it was just a trailer and a WIP update, then why the need to hype it for 2.5 weeks? :ermm:

Before my return to these forums, I was lurking through Team-Gizka's threads and forums. I made some critical errors, which were a result of a damaged pride. If I were to go back and hit the restart button, my approach may have been slightly different. Most of my concerns about Team-Gizka were about legal issues, which I had felt been violated from allowing such a mod to exist. Unlike most of the other mods, "The Restoration" project is not an original piece of work. When I went over several emails and statements from Obsidian and Lucas Arts, I concluded that this mod doesn't hold true to ordinary copywrite laws. Both companies are allowing this mod to exist due to the overall disatisfaction with "The Sith Lords". If I was hit with such a large fan backlash, I may have tried to do the same thing. As a person from the design industry, I'm a little protective over copywrite material. Modding through the eyes of Obsidian and Lucas Arts is welcomed. Even though Team-Gizka is not altering the original material (which is a violation of actual copywrite law), the owner's are allowing them to pursue such task (which has made what they are doing legal). If both companies are okay with this type of modding, I'm also okay with this type of modding. I heard an interesting quote the other day, "sometimes imitation is an act of flattery". I think it holds truth in this case.

When it comes to the statement Dashus made, I drew the conclusion that this mod would be released. His phrase was in Team-Gizka style specific, and it clearly signaled to everyone that the mod is done and ready. How they move forward is not my concern. After watching the supplied trailer, I reread the Team-Gizka forums again. Before anyone else makes a mistake, keep in mind that the summer starts in June and ends in September. When June 21st arrives on the scene, I would not make the mistake in expecting it on day one.

Clarification: the trailer is indeed a year old. We had been discussing potential release dates...and we missed it. I presented Dash with the trailer - which needed to be tuned up a bit. When it was obvious that it wasn't going to be released, I was already with the original movie file to do a quick switch (really, it would've taken less then 5 minutes) but Dash wanted to actually poke a little fun at us with the notion that we missed the guessed release date. The release date that we (as in the team and beta-team) guessed. Whoops.

Just so we're clear Dash meant it to be poking fun at themselves, not the public (though some might feel it was directed at them). :)

Who really cares at this point? When I saw the "Summer 2008" trailer ending, I thought it came off as a typo. Imagine if the whole mod had typos? That would be embarassing.

Edited by MacCorp

The End

If it was just a trailer and a WIP update, then why the need to hype it for 2.5 weeks? :)
TG forum members built the hype themselves TBH. Dash posted only one message. Edited by Sharen the Exile

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

If it was just a trailer and a WIP update, then why the need to hype it for 2.5 weeks? :)
TG forum members built the hype themselves TBH. Dash posted only one message.

Its the first time he has made such a comment.

Thread Title: In Two Weeks

What else could he have ment? Dashus' statement was very clear. "Within two weeks of this post, the mod will be finished and released." What is a surprise is that only a handful of people, out of hundreds, actually showed concern over the mod.

The End

TG forum members built the hype themselves TBH. Dash posted only one message.

All these appologies are getting tiresome. It just shows how little understanding there is from Team-Gizka and their fans, concerning the matter at hand and the nature of Dahus' message.

It doesn't matter if the mod will be done tomorrow or in this very moment. The fact of the matter is that TG used in an in-house joke on everyone interested. This conduct is of a very unproffessional manner, only suited to those yes-men that worship any decision that Team-Gizka happens to do. Personally, i thought that the 'summer 2008' was a typo, anything else would've been considered a d***move from their part. I guess that i was wrong in the very end.

No, what really happened was:

1) Team-Gizka apparantly lacks any form of social understanding. They seem to be completely surprised by the backlash that later happened. Threatening with litigation? That's just a typical "waaaa, i'm gonna tell mommy!"-diatribe that only juveniles do. Grow up already and learn to take some responsibility for your actions.

2)"We're just doing it for ourselves! No promises! When it is done! It was just a small message, it is your own fault". Again, what's with the excuses? If you really want to be consequent with your methods, then shut down the site, tell everyone to p*ss off and refuse to do any form of hype, not even after release. Actually, you shouldn't even release it to the public at all to begin with, since you are "just doing for yourselves".

But of course you wouldn't do that. By doing so, then Team-Gizka, the Beta-team and all your supporters wouldn't enjoy your status that you have achieved. The reactions from the leaked Beta showed that pretty clearly. Or.....

3) Team-Gizka is a bunch of sociopathic trolls that are enjoying a nice social experiment. Just how much can one abuse people's trust? How much longer can we enjoy a fandom of yes-men? Where is exactly lies the boundry of people's self-respect? If true, then i applaud them for managing to conduct a practical joke of such proportions. These things take skill, patience and a lot of hard work.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

3) Team-Gizka is a bunch of sociopathic trolls that are enjoying a nice social experiment. Just how much can one abuse people's trust? How much longer can we enjoy a fandom of yes-men? Where is exactly lies the boundry of people's self-respect? If true, then i applaud them for managing to conduct a practical joke of such proportions. These things take skill, patience and a lot of hard work.

My money's on this one. Very well put, BTW. :p

I will say, however, that I don't believe that it started out this way. I believe that TSLRP began with the best of intentions; there wouldn't have been a beta to steal otherwise. But something happened along the way to cause it to degenerate into the very scenario that you describe, IMO. This whole sadistic, semi-annual cycle of hyping the mod and disappointing people has repeated itself far too many times over the past four years for me to draw any other logical conclusion. Continuing to give T-G the benefit of the doubt involves accepting too many coincidences to be realistic.

I wonder if they are looking for an excuse to not distribute the mod. If they can get the community upset and angry, they can turn around and say it was everyone elses fault.

Edited by MacCorp

The End

At this point, I really don't know what they intend to do in the end.

The only thing that I am certain of is that we can expect several more grandiose feats like the one we witnessed yesterday before it all mercifully comes to an end.

Of course, T-G is free to prove me wrong, but what I know about compulsive behavior and the hold that it has over people with certain personality types makes me doubt that they will. :p

Peoples self entitlement issues never ceases to astound me :p

If people hate it so much, why keep moaning about it? Life is too short for that (not to mention that it gets repetitive).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein