Lets debate gay marriage

Kaftan Barlast

Gay Marriage  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the gays be allowed to marry?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont care

I created this thread with two intentions 1) to talk about gay marriage 2) to investigate why people think this is an issue worth discussing.

Personally, I cant be bothered. You can marry your hamster for all I care, this is just something right wing politcians tend to drag up to attract conservative voters and to make the left look bad. Claiming it had something to do with equality is just nonsense.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

^Blah, agree.

It should be a non-issue. Not something for the politicians or the courts to get a headache about.

Live and let live.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I only care in the first place because gays are treated differently under the law.

I mean if institutional racism still existed, I don't think you'd be calling it a non-issue.

All the religious nutjobs are really just there for laughs. The main issues is generating equality (whether they like it or not). So why do you say equality is nonense, Kaftan? Suppose black people weren't allowed to all the entitlements of a married couple because they weren't allowed to marry?

Edited by Krezack

Personally I could not care less what two consenting adults do between each other so long as it does not affect me or anyone else. So I don't care if they do get married but I absolutely believe that nothing should stop them if thats what makes them happy. I've said it before, that whole life liberty and the pursuit of happiness thing means nothing unless it is applied to everyone.

I must admit, I've never understood the religous objection to it. As a practicing Christian I understand well and good that not everyone believes the same thing I do. Religion is a template by which you model your own life. It is not a standard by which you judge others lives.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It says you can't be gay in the Bible. And you know how those idiots foollow everything in the Bible. Although no one I know could show me where in the Bible it says so.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I don't believe anyone should be allowed to marry, its a flawed institution.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I don't think they should. Sorry but I think it is wrong on so many levels. Flame away

Not so fast mistah!

Being a dissent in a crowd where the majority thinks otherwise demands that you explain yourself in throughout manner.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I hovered over I don't care, but I think homosexuals should have the right to marry. I disagree that it's the equivalent of racism, but I'm too lazy to argue the point. However, I will say that I can think of no compelling reason why two people of the same sex should not be allowed to marry. In fact, I don't think marriage should be state sponsored at any rate. Have a civil union and on top of that have a religious union if you so choose. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, after all.

I don't think they should. Sorry but I think it is wrong on so many levels. Flame away

Loz. You have to at least say why you "think it is wrong on so many levels" - at the moment you are doing nothing other than going "oh noes, I don't likes them and thus they shouldn't be able to!" :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

it is flawed, but the remedy is that it should not be a legally recognized institution, which would remove the debate completely.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

it is flawed, but the remedy is that it should not be a legally recognized institution, which would remove the debate completely.

taks

Right, being committed to something shouldn't entitle you to any benefits from the government, whether it be a party, a person, or a religion. These things come with their own inherent benefits, the delusion that your opinion matter, the delusion that you're part of something bigger then yourself, and the delusion that you'll get laid often.

So I don't see why Deadly Lampshade shouldn't be able to marry whomever he wants no matter how unappealing the rest of us find the idea.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I second this motion. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So I don't see why {snip} shouldn't be able to marry whomever he wants no matter how unappealing the rest of us find the idea.

Lolz. You've got the wrong forum member. o:)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Let us step lightly and with respect in this current discussion. Moving and having to take admin action is always so troublesome. If you cannot post constructively, maybe don't post ...

/rhetorical witty mod-like post

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Right, being committed to something shouldn't entitle you to any benefits from the government, whether it be a party, a person, or a religion. These things come with their own inherent benefits, the delusion that your opinion matter, the delusion that you're part of something bigger then yourself, and the delusion that you'll get laid often.

So I don't see why Deadly Lampshade shouldn't be able to marry whomever he wants no matter how unappealing the rest of us find the idea.

As a married man, that is hilarious. I have to cling to my delusions!

being committed to something shouldn't entitle you to any benefits from the government, whether it be a party, a person, or a religion. These things come with their own inherent benefits,

I think that its important that we keep the judicial and economical benefits and responsabilities that comes with marriage. In Sweden, its much more practical for everyone if a couple gets married(or enter partnership, the rules are exactly the same). Shared property, mortgages and inheritance becomes a complete mess if you dont treat the household as one unit.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Shared property, mortgages and inheritance becomes a complete mess if you dont treat the household as one unit.

wills are simple to write. of course, you also need a government that recognizes your right to give your property to anyone you choose, but that's another, deeper issue. the only reason the marriage issue matters is the perverted notion of unequal rights, i.e., some are more equal than others.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

"Government shouldn't be involved in marriage" isn't an actual answer to "Should gay folk be allowed to marry?", because currently government is involved and that's not about to change, so such an answer is kinda avoiding the issue. If government got out of the marriage game, what would that mean? All current marriage licenses rendered null and void? I think millions of married couples might have something to say about that.

I'm extremely tired of this being a debated issue. They should absolutely be able to marry. Anyone who thinks otherwise, and especially anyone who has voted otherwise, is an ass.

I agree with this.

Next we should debate whether gays should be allowed to eat. What if they ruin food for the rest of us? How will I be able to enjoy a quiche if it's also being eaten by... a gay!