GURPs

sacoroth

I'm a long fan of Obsidian and several of the games which came from it's staff when they were part of different companies. I like the sorts of RPGs created by this company and how in many ways this company sticks to rich and engrossing dialog based games and I intend to continue supporting them in the future by buying their products.

One thing I've been wondering and after searching the forums for references to it, have found one reference to it from years ago, is whether Obsidian has ever considered creating a game based on on the GURPs system. I'm a fan of D&D, however, its heavily flawed in many ways and lacks some of the appeal that GURPs has, though I'm sure many D&D fans disagree.

I'm not sure if many people are actually familiar with GURPs, for those who aren't here's a link to their wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS and their main site http://www.sjgames.com/GURPS . This system seems like it would be a great step for cRPG's, and can be used for just about any time setting a developer wishes to create their game in. However, seeing as it was never done, I imagine their masses of rules and some of the less stringent rules likely make it hard to transfer in to a computer game.

I simply wished to see what Obsidian and its community thinks of GURPs and whether it would transfer well in to a cRPG or whether its far fetched and not worth the hassle to even consider it.

GURPS is a familiar name here because of its original association with Fallout.

It's a decent system, but for me, it's also quite simple/generic, and so why use GURPS when you can just make your own ruleset / system tailored to fit the setting and desired gameplay? Example being Arcanum.

It's definitely feasible but I'd rather see, say, rulesets that integrate 'perks' or reputations more into the character stats sheet, or come up with something "new" like what Diablo 3 is doing with the runes ("new" meaning not technically ORIGINUL but still fresh in its implementation).

If Obsidian should go back to making CRPGs based on PnP rules they need to make a Shadowrun game.

That would be cool.

WHat would be really cool is you guys actually made it, for the XBox 360 and the PC, and the PC version came with a tools system similar to the NWN2 tools set or the GECK for Fallout 3. Oh, one of the key NPCs was voiced by Samual L. Jackson.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

If I had the skills I would, but I can't program worth a crap nor can I do so well making art assets. I can spin a god yarn with story telling but beyond that I just don't have the ability. I wish I did.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

My favorite PnP system at the moment, though I don't play much these days. At one point I got the impression that at SJGames they were interested of branching off to the MMORPG scene, but that was some time ago. Wonder what happened to that plan. Not that I like MMORPGs.

SODOFF Steam group.

A blade runner game would be really cool. Maybe that would be a worthy new project to tackle there guys? Though some may cringe at this, if Shadowrun sounds good as well as Blade Runner, why not try Star Frontiers? I miss playing that game.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Star Frontiers, wow i loved that game. not as much as Shadowrun, but still. Back to the OPs statement about GURPS, I used GURPS for about a month when it first came out. Found it was just as easy making my rules up for anything generic I tried to create. Trust me, my friends and I would get really creative. I drew the line when one of them showed up with an outline for a GI Joe and a Transformer RPG. Thats when I went back to D&D, and hid lol.

Edited by Draxes
gtdarktrooper.png

Meh, Shadowrun is a mix of everything where nothing works.

Now, a Cyberpunk game, that's where its at.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It also depends on the DM. So if the story line is solid along with the rules then any game and game setting should work and run smoothly, don't you think?

But there are so many classic games and settings that if they could be brought to life would just be awsome to happen and play once again. So while we may have had some rough or bad plays before if we work together and explan what it is that we think would be an improvement just maybe then we could see it happen.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo