The Awesome Dudes Appreciation Thread

Aram

killers3vi5.jpg

This bad ass mofo is Lee "Lee Marvin" Marvin. He is best known as the world's coolest actor, and in this thread he will be considered the most Awesome Dude who ever lived. He's cooler than Steve McQueen, more bad ass than Clint Eastwood, and has more presence than John Wayne. In this picture he's using an odd combination of a suppressor with a revolver--which technically wouldn't work--but that's beside the point, because he's about to use it to blow away Ronald Reagan. After this picture was taken, Ronald Reagan realized he could never be as cool as Lee Marvin and decided to try politics instead. Even after he became president, Lee Marvin could have kicked his ass.

Lee Marvin began his career as a character actor in small parts and TV specials--and he was awesome in all of them. He played small villainous roles in most of his movies, but he stole the show each time from then higher rated stars like Marlon Brando, Humphrey Bogart, and Randolph Scott. He starred in two episodes of the Twilight Zone, in one of which he went ten rounds with a robot boxer and brought a tear to everyone's eye. He is the title character of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance in which he horse whips the **** out of Jimmy Stewart and gets shot by John Wayne. He became a top billed actor after The Professionals and The Dirty Dozen, two incredibly awesome manly films. Then he made Point Blank, Hell in the Pacific, and Prime Cut--three of my very favorite movies, if only because he is so incredibly bad ass in each of them. Rent them and learn just how great Lee Marvin is.

oates-oxford-pic.jpg

This is Warren "Rotten Son of a Bitch" Oates. He is at least ten times more bad ass than he is ugly, and that's saying something. His ****-eating grin is as ****eyed as his morals and his gun is as hot from use as his 12-foot ****. You probably only know him as Hulka from Stripes. This is wrong. He had a long-running affiliation with the greatest director of all time, Sam Peckinpah. He was one of the Wild Bunch, and the main character in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia--he had smaller parts in Ride the High Country and Major Dundee (masterpieces, all). Like Lee Marvin he was in two Twilight Zone episodes. He had small but show-stealing roles in other great films as well, such as Badlands and In the Heat of the Night. Three films in which he had the leading role were Dillinger, ****fighter, and Two-Lane Blacktop. Rent these, or else.

harrydeanstantondw6.jpg

This is Harry Dean "Your Real Dad" Stanton. He has been in a lot, lot, lot of movies, masterpieces all, which preclude all of his future masterpieces. People like to play that Kevin Bacon game, but if you only counted excellent movies, you'd have to play the Harry Dean Stanton game. He is in an awful lot of 1980s cult movies. He was in Alien, he was in Escape from New York, and he delivered an extremely memorable performance in Repo Man. He was in several movies with Warren Oates (see above), such as ****fighter, 92 in the Shade, and Two-Lane Blacktop in which he has a very small part as a gay cowboy hitchhiker who offers Warren Oates a handjob. Simply Awesome.

(Arguably,) he only starred in one movie--Paris, Texas. He gives one of the greatest acting performances of all time, and definitely the greatest performance of the cultural wasteland that was the 1980s. This is an excellent, excellent movie. Go get it, now.

biggundown12801.jpg

Lee Van Cleef

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Harmonica_02.jpg

Charles Bronson, who played "Harmonica" in Once Upon a Time in the West.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This thread is going in EXACTLY the right direction.

I present:

robards_gun.jpg

Jason "Iceman" Robards. Like Lee Marvin, he saw very traumatic action in the Pacific theater of World War 2. He decided to become an actor while treading water for 14 hours after a kamikaze sank his ship. Also like Marvin he delivered a powerful performance as Hickey in a production of The Iceman Cometh. He's not only very awesome, he also has the distinction of working with the two greatest directors of his time and quite frankly all of time--Sam Peckinpah (as the title character in The Ballad of Cable Hogue) and Sergio Leone (in Once Upon a Time in the West opposite Charles Bronson (see Will's post). Every movie he was in, he frankly dominated. He is definitely an Awesome Dude.

daedalus.gif

This guy. I don't know where he went, but he was an awesome dude. I don't even have to explain. He could confront your argument, write it in Latin, come up with fifty logical fallacies you committed, and present several links to scientific journals to show you how wrong your facts were. A prolific poster, but more prominently, a friend.

trevor1.jpg

I don't know who this is, but he was the #1 result when google image searching "awesome dude" so he must be.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

MV5BMjA2MjI5OTg1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTUwNjQxMQ@@._V1._SX88_SY140_.jpg

Henry Fonda. Enough said.

Or better yet.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

WhiteRose.jpg

Hans Scholl, Sophie Scholl, and Christoph Probst. I had never heard of them or the White Rose (despite having studied Nazi Germany for A-level history), until yesterday when there was a movie about it on TV. I can't imagine the courage it takes to stand up and be heard when you have no weapons and no way of fighting back.

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just do not dare express themselves as we did."

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

SteveThaiBinh: Nah, too unreal. Futhermore, he isn't even awesome :p What I meant was that you brought an actually serious note in all the superficiality of actors being posted. Excluding Meta. And the foamy guy.

Hell Kitty: :(

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Oliver Reed, a real life awesome dude.

Check out the sections on his alcoholism and his death.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Doubting the awesomeness of Thumper is a one-way ticket to Dire Consquences, laddy. Recant, while you still can. :o
I blame the german translation of his name ("Klopfer", meaning "knocker") and of his voice overs. Just obnoxious.

But bring on the Dire Consequences! They're better than usual consequences: More spikes and more XP when I beat them :(

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

...halloween drunk...won a $50 bet ta do this...:(

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

post-371-1232408544_thumb.jpg

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way