FEAR 2 demo next week

Morgoth

Spotted @Bluesnews

"WBIE announces the complete plan for the single-player demo for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, finally offering a release date for the Windows sample of Monolith's shooter sequel, saying it will be out alongside the console demos next Thursday, January 22. Word is: "The F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin demo will offer a glimpse of the action, terror and suspense of the full retail version of the game. Players will maneuver through bloodstained corridors and hallways from several locations in the game, as they combat through various parts of the city of Auburn, which now lays in ruin after the catastrophic explosion that rocked the finale of F.E.A.R."

I've some high standards when it comes to first-person shooters, and the original FEAR is one of my favorite, so consequently I expect the sequel to be at least on par. I hope Monolith doesn't pull a silly "Condemned 2 hokuspokus" on that one. Also worrying is the fact that it was developed parallelly (meaning: leading platform) for consoles, so I fear it might be dumbed down.

But at least Monolith is confident enough to release a demo so that we all can make an opinion in prior.

And where the heck is my NOLF 3 Monolith???

I actualy am very apprehensive about this release as I thought the original F.E.A.R. was rather boring.

I thought the FPS mechanics of FEAR were great. The story was uninvolving and the level design was just all these office buildings and felt very reptitive. The horror/FPS mix was very poorly done.

However, I'd say the game was worth playing completely from the FPS mechanics alone.

I'll be keeping an eye on FEAR 2. If the story and horror aspects can be used more effectievly, it could be a very good game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I liked FEAR as a FPS but I also found much of it underdeveloped. It got extremely repetetive after a while, and the scares were extremely predictable once you'd seen how the game works. But yeah, the action was generally good, and sometimes *really* good.

Good on them for releasing a demo though, will definetely give it a try. Plus points to developers who make demos for their games.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I liked FEAR as a FPS but I also found much of it underdeveloped. It got extremely repetetive after a while, and the scares were extremely predictable once you'd seen how the game works. But yeah, the action was generally good, and sometimes *really* good.

Good on them for releasing a demo though, will definetely give it a try. Plus points to developers who make demos for their games.

Actually, I really digged the minimalistic approach of FEAR's level design. No fancy colorful stuff getting in your way, only the cold and deserted office rooms, you and supermutant-voiced badasses. I kinda liked that, it gave FEAR a certain charm. And the action-spooky-action change-game kinda worked pretty well.

We'll see if FEAR 2 plays as much challenging and smart as it's predecessor, however if it turns out to be a fast Halo 3 clone I'm gonna get mightely pissed.

Edited by Morgoth

I'd be a lot more interested if they completely axed the predictably-trying-to-scary bits, completely reworked the plot and focused on the kick ass action. Of course, as the game is still called FEAR, I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I actually loved the creepy atmosphere in FEAR, but it wasn't really all that good. FEAR 2 definitly looks improved.

I loved the melee though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I liked FEAR well enough. I'm always down for a good FPS romp, and since Bioshock was my last one, I'm itching for another.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Seriously, I can't possibly be the only one creeped out by that game. Right?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The first one was creepy in certain points. The problem was that you could identify creepy vs combat because the environment shifts with a very audible THUNK from one gear to the next. Probably the freakiest moment for me was either when Alma came out of her cage and slaughtered her captor, or when the little girl appeared at the top of the ladder you were about to go down (visual trick because you looked at the ladder as you mounted it allowed her to appear just as you look back at the top of the ladder which was freaky as all hell because you're stuck to ladders and can't shoot.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I don't believe Monolith have the rights to NOLF. Of course they could always do a "Project Origin" and just make a NOLF-like game, but Contract JACK didn't go down well and I'd be surprised if they suddenly went back to that franchise after all this time.

Seriously, I can't possibly be the only one creeped out by that game. Right?

F.E.A.R. = -_-

Well the combat was pretty fun (jump kick <3). The only bits that bored me were when I got lost, which is on every level at least once. That was just insanely annoying, but other then that I liked the weird paranormal events they threw in every once in a while.

I don't believe Monolith have the rights to NOLF. Of course they could always do a "Project Origin" and just make a NOLF-like game, but Contract JACK didn't go down well and I'd be surprised if they suddenly went back to that franchise after all this time.

A " Project Origin" is the easiest way to a new NOLF-like game, but it's never going to happen. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I thought the FPS mechanics of FEAR were great. The story was uninvolving and the level design was just all these office buildings and felt very reptitive. The horror/FPS mix was very poorly done.

However, I'd say the game was worth playing completely from the FPS mechanics alone.

I'll be keeping an eye on FEAR 2. If the story and horror aspects can be used more effectievly, it could be a very good game.

Agreed. Awesome sound design too. Also, the most satisfying enemies to fight(the cloaked ones that bitch slap you around) were hardly used.

Lookin at the screen shots, it looks more of the same - I definetly wont be getting it.

A " Project Origin" is the easiest way to a new NOLF-like game, but it's never going to happen. :/

Hey, they managed to get the FEAR brand back from Sierra. Perhaps they secretly also got the NOLF brand back as well. After all, Sierra is practically no more, so what use would they have keeping the property? Monolith is also working on a new unannounced title for a while now, with Craig Hubbard (the NOLF man) as creative head. That gives me at least some hope they're working on a new NOLF game for a while now.

Edited by Morgoth

Any new version of NOLF would probably have none of the charm of the originals anyway. So why bother? Let it stay dead and just start a new project with the same game concepts in mind.

oh right, pre-existing brand names = built in audience who can be deceived into purchasing the "new" version of their favorite game. EVen though it has nothing in common. Except the brand.

A big W00t! for Hollywood marketing.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Any new version of NOLF would probably have none of the charm of the originals anyway.

Why?

Why not?

Any new version of NOLF would probably have none of the charm of the originals anyway.

Why?

Why not?

Sorry, you have to give a reason why you think a possible new NOLF would lack the charm of it's predecessor. Unless I've missed something majorly, your statement doesn't make any sense at all. Monolith can still make a kicking NOLF.

FEAR was an OK shooter with a boring and drawn out story and tacked-on bullet time. The "horror" segments were totally separated from the "shoot-clone-troopers" segments which was really weird and clunky. The expansion packs were much worse though. It also relied on the ever-popular "closet scares", damn I still hate the ladder that had Fettel appear in your face half way up.

I don't have high hopes for FEAR 2. That trailer with the giant mech looked exactly like console shooter #6257392. I don't see how I could be scared of a little girl while I'm riding a 10m mech and blowing things up left and right. There will probably be "scary" segments where you gun doesn't work and you will hear some weird stuff through a glowy door. Who loved the dream sequences in Max Payne?

Edited by Purkake