Jack Thompson was right!

Wrath of Dagon

It's not like murder is some new or recent occurance, that just happened to come into exsistence with the introduction of video games. I find it tragic that the authorities would rather blame games and entertainment, than the real issue.

and how cold it is to go into your parents room and say "close your eyes, I have a suprise for you" and then shoot them in the face.. :grin:

Fortune favors the bald.

Halo 3 is a Baby game. You only shoot at little colorful Alien whelps. That guy is simply a psycho, that's why he murdered.
Yeah, that guy must've lost touch with reality a long time ago.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The article really didn't seem to indicate that the game was at fault. At worst, the judge seemed to indicate that the boy had become unhinged, but he was still responsible for his own actions. In retrospect, I think the dad was right. The thing is, in addition to take away the game, he should have got his son into counceling. After all, the kid had some problems. Some of them probably a long time coming, as Wrath says.

I don't think we should blame the father. There might be any number of reasons for the kid to go gonzo, and sometimes good parents have bad kids. Of course, if he were truly unhinged, then he's not a bad kid. Still, to murder your mother and try to kill your father over a video game is way beyond the pale and this story is significant because it is a rarity. I know a lot of parents who won't let their children play certain games and this sort of game related crime doesn't pop up often.

....But, frankly, teenagers are unhinged by default. At least a little bit. I remember the case where the father told his teenage daughter she could not hang out with a teen boy. Not only did the daughter hang out with him, but they hatched a murderous plan. They actually did mange to wipe out most of the family except the dad, although wounded, survived. Teens tend to lack personal restraint. I guess the moral of all these stories is to shoot your dad twice.

This could be presented as a post hoc ergo propter hoc or a cvm hoc ergo propter hoc argument, but either one is equally flawed. :grin:

EDIT: "cvm" was added to defeat the auto-censor, although, in this case, I do not think that this will be a problem.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

"Teens tend to lack personal restraint. I guess the moral of all these stories is to shoot your dad twice. "

Oh, please. You make it sound like these cases of teens attempting to murder their parents because their parents told them no about soemthing are common and all teens do it. Most teens do not kill their parents over these things. In fact, it's more common for parents to abuse/kill their children then the other waya round. So, I guess it shows thata dults tend to lack 'personal restraint'.

As for this case, it's tragic; but games had very little if anything to do with it. If it wasn't Halo 3; it would have been something else. The kid is scum. Plain, and simple.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Damn physcos. Fry him.

It seems, yet again, that this had absolutely nothing to do with videogames.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Damn physcos. Fry him.

It seems, yet again, that this had absolutely nothing to do with videogames.

I disagree with your later statement. This had something to do with videogames obviously. I mean the kid was probably an addict who was used to getting his way, when he didn't get his way he became unhinged and grabbed for a gun. The kid probably had some emotional damage or disorder that led him to thinking murder was a solution, I know with my bipolar I've come up with some pretty scary stuff when I'm frustrated and on the down swing of the bipolar. Usually though I have enough self control to realize I'm being an idiot.

The kid needs counseling and probably be sent cold turkey around video games.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Aristes: NP

"What is really odd is how he takes the game when he runs away. I mean, why would you do that?"

He was paid off my Jack Thompson? <.

"I disagree with your later statement. This had something to do with videogames obviously."

The fact that it was over a video game this time is pretty much irrelevant. Having him quit games cold turkey will not solve his real issues. If it wasn't a video game it would have been soemthing else like curfew, a girlfriend, or whatever else.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know this is off topic, but why is cvm filtered? Oh, with the u spelling. funny. Guess they don't have a lot of folks talking in Latin. haha Well, v works just as well.

It didn't used to be! I remember trusting the profanity filter when going on a tirade and "cvm guzzling whore" (with the u) got through to my surprise :)

I take no responsibility if that's why they changed it :grin:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

hmmm, two head shots this guy must have been pretty good at Halo 3

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.