Alex Brandon leaving Obsidian

funcroc

http://www.clubsilicononline.com/2009/01/b...-we-belong.html

Back to where we belong

Texas Logo After five years in California my family is returning to Texas. YEEEE-HAW!!

I start at Heatwave Interactive as Audio Director (managing and A/V department) on February 2nd.

While I have loved Obsidian, and our experience in California has been very valuable, SoCal is not a place to raise a family on one salary, unless you're insanely rich. There's a lot of other reasons I'll go into not the least of which are those damn jacked up trucks ;)

Needless to say we're very excited and relieved to be moving and will keep you posted as to developments.

January 10, 2009

Obsidian needs a new audio director.

Well, this sucks.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Please don't leave Alex! I will destroy you.

Now now, we mustn't be selfish. As much as I wish Obsidian talent stay with Obsidian it is also good to see some of that Obsidian talent spread across the industry, bringing higher quality games to us as a whole. :x

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I reckon they chased him out for not getting enough Monty Python references. >_<

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I nominate Martin O'Donell.

... what? Totally realistic.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Best of luck to Alex in his future work.

Whoever becomes the audio director, I nominate he/she contract the awesome Jeff Tymoschuk (http://www.greenwiremusic.com/) to make the music for upcoming Obsidian games. He added a lot of the atmosphere to Penny Arcade Adventures. Also check out the music in the trailer for Ron Gilbert's upcoming action/adventure/rpg game DeathSpank - http://grumpygamer.com/6338868

There can only be one sensible replacement - Kai Rosenkranz, of Gothic fame (the soundtrack to Gothic 3 was even better than SoZ)

Woah, I thought I was his only fan!

Anyhow, I absolutely love Kai's work, but using Gothic 3 as an example might not be the best choice. In Gothic 3 they used an orchestra for the first time and it really clashed with the original Gothic feel. The tendencies were there in Gothic 2 already (remember the dock music?), but in Gothic 3 they were in full blast. Pompous, epic and extravagant is OK for a D&D game, but for Gothic it felt.. wrong.

Apparently Kai thought so too because for Risen he's scaled back the sounds and scope of the music. Listen to this:

http://www.worldofrisen.de/download_14.htm

(it's a small .zip file of a 1 minute long medley)

I love it! It reminds me of the music from Gothic.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

为什么每次来都看到坏消息。。。

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

• 2 months later...
He's pretty new in the biz then. We'll see. :)

This will be interesting, seeing as how most of his work consist of Tony Hawk games.

I guess you guys haven't heard about how Michael Thorton gets from his safehouses to his missions, then. It's pretty "rad".

Matthew Rorie