Baldur's Gate

Walsingham

Inspired by comments about gaming surplanting films as the new media, it occurred to me that it may be time for a remake of Baldur's Gate using the NWN2 engine. Obviously, doing so by hand would be unbelievably time consuming, but it occurred to me that there might be some way to translate the Infinity Engine into NWN2, taking the plot and interactions wholesale, and leaving only the maps as hand crafted.

Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 4 weeks later...

Judging by the posts there it would seem that they are still working on it. The biggest problem I forsee will that many Mac and Linux users may be leftout if expansions are an issue to run it.

Other than that, I am very eager to see this happen. Perhaps they could set up as Pool of Radiance was done? That mod did not need any of the expansions to play. Might drop a comment to the team later on about it.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Judging by the posts there it would seem that they are still working on it. The biggest problem I forsee will that many Mac and Linux users may be leftout if expansions are an issue to run it.

Such a small fraction of the community I don't see the reason to take that into consideration. Plus most all PC users have at least 1 xp if not both at this point. So the argument is moot. Any mod unless made on a linux/mac box won't be compatible anyways.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Now that looks pretty awesome. I'm usually not a fan of remakes (I prefer BG combat, interface and graphics to NWN2 ones anyway, mostly), but the areas look really pretty by themselves.

Well Rhomal for the most part the mods as in fan made mods do work. Thus Pool of Radiance Remastered which is at NWN2 Vault works great. But since, as pointed out, that many of the PC users do have one or both expansions that when they use the tool kit it seems that ceratin elements are needed. However Pool of Radiance works with the original as well as the expansions. It's just the matter of what requirements you put on and in the game. While I can understand the point you brought up there are still mods out there that can still be used by the original NWN2 game. Granted by now they're harder to find but yes they are out there. Just really have to look. :)

And while some say we are small does that really matter for a fan made mod? If everybody could enjoy your mod wouldn't you be happy? Not to sound like I'm singling you or anybody out but if the rest does not matter then why bother at all then? Sorry ranted a bit there. Now it's really not the fault of the fan mod builder but of another compnay Asypri :- that is dragging there feet about helping to level the play here. Once some issues are resolved you should see a difference and enjoyable experience on the rise. The main reason I think that Linux and Mac NWN2 owners will face is the new overland map function. Since that is in SoZ and Macs only have the 1.12 patch that game will not run right. Thus my saying that such a move would put a damper on things, mainly us pure Mac users of NWN2. But if they could do what the people did for PoRR then maybe we would have a chance. But it depends on the goodies the mod makers are putting in.

So I don't think it's a moot subject. (Noticed I said I think. :p )

So here's hoping for the best. And Rhomal keep stopping by and pointing anything out. I may have missed something. :cat:

Ranger Lord Solo

My bottom line is simply this, if it works for the linux folks fine, however if its developed on a PC I wouldn't hold back and limit the assets to use just so a handful of folks who want to use alternative non-gaming specific computers can play it. Thats my only stance. Going out of ones way to do so is a waste of time and resources.

And before someone asks or makes a comment, I beleive in using the right tool for the job. Linux boxes (and this includes macs which are just another linux distro with nicer eyecandy) have their place and valid uses, however gaming rigs they are not. I don't want to hear about the handful of ports you can list off thinking that somehow justifies the same playing fields vs thousands of native titles the PC has or how uber your linux box is because you got a beta driver to work with a new video card. Not going to change my mind or my opinion as I think any attempt to do so is feeble and a waste of time as all such arguments are paper thin at best.

So here's hoping for the best. And Rhomal keep stopping by and pointing anything out. I may have missed something. :(

Kitty!! :D

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Why are the games I loved (BG) and the ones I waited for (TBH) remade with the crappiest engine ever made (NWN2)? It's like putting BBQ-sauce on my icecream. Fsckers should be beaten with a baseballbat.

J.

Why are the games I loved (BG) and the ones I waited for (TBH) remade with the crappiest engine ever made (NWN2)? It's like putting BBQ-sauce on my icecream. Fsckers should be beaten with a baseballbat.

J.

Whats wrong with the nwn2 engine currently?

Still looks damn good and performs well.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

and performs well.

I hope that was a joke.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Or maybe he has a system that runs NWN2 well enough to not have had any problems? Guessing on that one. But some were lucky and some were not as to how NWN2 worked for them. But I have heard a lot of PC NWN2 users that their first run of it was pretty rough. I have had some hic cups here and there but for the most part so far so good.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

We want our next fix for BG!

Ranger Lord Solo

and performs well.

I hope that was a joke.

I have a AMD X2 5200+ 2gig ram and a 8800GT card, by all accounts a upper mid range system, nothing close to bleeding edge or very expensive and I am able to run nwn2 with everything on max. Since xp1 most all performance complaints have trailed off from what I see. Of course if you trying to play this on near min spec I would expect you to encounter issues.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I guess I shouldn't go OT and turn this into another NWN1 vs. 2 discussion. We've had enough of those

already. >_<

I wonder if they're ever gonna use the Mystary -engine for anything. If not, maybe they could sell it

online for modding purposes. I'm sure lots of people, IE-engine fans, would love to get their hands on

it and play with it before it disappears in history. Maybe we could ask the devs what's happening with it.

Other than that, cheers to the BG1-remakers. I'm sure they'll have a good time.

J.

The Mystary engine is horribly outdated by now. Plus, the art pipeline of the engine was hellishly difficult to work with, so even if they did release it to the public, it's highly doubtful that the community could do anything with it.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

J.

Whats wrong with the nwn2 engine currently?

Still looks damn good and performs well.

Do you honestly believe that? I mean seriously, Badger is a crappy engine.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

The Mystary engine is horribly outdated by now. Plus, the art pipeline of the engine was hellishly difficult to work with, so even if they did release it to the public, it's highly doubtful that the community could do anything with it.

True, it's outdated, but so is the Infinity Engine, and people still play with it. Of course if it's difficult to work with, it's pointless..

Or maybe he has a system that runs NWN2 well enough to not have had any problems? Guessing on that one. But some were lucky and some were not as to how NWN2 worked for them. But I have heard a lot of PC NWN2 users that their first run of it was pretty rough. I have had some hic cups here and there but for the most part so far so good.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

We want our next fix for BG!

It was close to unplayable for many (me included) until around the time Mask of the Betrayer came out.

I'd love to see BG/BG2/ToB remade for NWN2, using the SoZ overland map.

Having said that, if I was modding it I'd end up (a) putting in all the mod stuff and NPCs I like from PPG and G3 and (b) tinkering with all the stuff I didn't like about the originals.

So it would look very different from the vanilla version.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

How surprising comments. I could never go back to the old, original renditions of the BG and IWD games, but I think that they these games had many great features and I very much look forward to replaying them in NWN2 - with the great looks, new rules, etc. BG should be done by summer. And Slowdive_fan recently posted the prologue of his IWD conversion (he's looking for help with the conversion project).