Ever get lost in a Wiki Wonder Land?

Arkan

Got damn.

I googled 'googol' and was reading about mindboggling things I never knew existed for over an hour.

I feel both smarter and dumber at the same time.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I saw an great joke cartoon once - about a guy who went in there to learn about batman and ended up reading about some obscure revolution in the 4th century Cambodia.

There's few things I really cherish more than getting lost in encyclopideas, wikis etc. :)

One can of course question the validity of the information on those sites, but I don't see how it's a bad thing to be drawned in to those kind of things. As long as you keep a healthy degree of skeptiscism.

Fortune favors the bald.

Wikipedia is like being at a particularly drunk party at a convention centre. Loads of people, some mental, some experts, trying to tell you stuff.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

And he was never heard from again.

I clicked on that link last night and got lost in the Anyone Can Die trope. All the links and such leading to examples and articles about their examples that lead to articles about the shows that lead to articles about...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lessee. 2 nights ago I was on WIkipedia reading up on spiders. That led to reading about spider bites and then to venom and the then to venom treatments. WHich led to maggot therapy which lead to MRSA which led to antiobotic resistantce which lead to antibiotics which led to hand soap. Plus some other related stuff along the way.

Somehow 4 minutes turned into 4 hours. :/

Also, maggot therapy is pretty cool.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I saw an great joke cartoon once - about a guy who went in there to learn about batman and ended up reading about some obscure revolution in the 4th century Cambodia.

There's few things I really cherish more than getting lost in encyclopideas, wikis etc. :(

One can of course question the validity of the information on those sites, but I don't see how it's a bad thing to be drawned in to those kind of things. As long as you keep a healthy degree of skeptiscism.

True, but more often than not, the information in wikis are cited for sources. There is usually a large banner at the top if the information is properly cited.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

And he was never heard from again.

I clicked on that link last night and got lost in the Anyone Can Die trope. All the links and such leading to examples and articles about their examples that lead to articles about the shows that lead to articles about...

I had to check out "Anyone Can Die", but then I spent half the afternoon bouncing from page to page. Damn you! :(

• 5 weeks later...

I just found tvtropes. I boggles my mind, how well cross-referenced it is and how many examples there are. That page is truly a goldmine, if I ever end up on a desert island, that will be the site I want with me.

Also the trope names are hilarious. There are also a lot of video games there, especially all the Black Isle RPGs. Such little pieces of heaven should not be lost in the bog that is the internet.

the_problem_with_wikipedia.png

Well, its a good thing this will never happen to me. I'd never need to look up the Narrows Bridge.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Wikipedia is like being at a particularly drunk party at a convention centre. Loads of people, some mental, some experts, trying to tell you stuff.

Interestingly, it rivals Britannica in terms of average accuracy per article.

QFT

• 7 months later...

I thought maybe it's time to rise this great evil once more from its dark grave and loose it upon the interwebs to rob the souls of men too weak to resist its well cross-referenced charms.

On a brighter note, there's a list of inbound links on TVtropes and quite a few of them are from here :ermm:

Edited by Purkake

I once lost an entire day of my life because I wanted to know more about the English Civil War on wikipedia ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein