Following Hyperlinks in Word 2007

deganawida

Does anyone know what executables are called when launching a hyperlink from a Word 2007 document? Our computers are running in a managed environment (Windows XP with Group Policy "Run Only Allowed Programs" enabled via Novell ZenWorks), and none of us in the office can identify what EXE is being triggered when a normal user CTRL-Clicks a hyperlink in an Office 2007 document. This has only become a problem since we went from Office 2003 to 2007.

Basic Info

Management Utility: Novell ZenWorks 10

Office Version: 2007

Browser: Internet Explorer 7

I've found some info that suggests that IEXPLORE.EXE be added to the allowed programs, as it is different from iexplore.exe, but that has not fixed the problem. I can't find anything other than exporting registry settings from an older computer at the Microsoft Knowledge Database, and Google doesn't turn up much.

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

not to be stupidly obvious, but have you tried to open the task manager to see if anything specific comes up when you click on a link? i have word 2007, but have not tried to follow any links. in fact, i'm not even sure i have it running on my XP system or not (it was originally for my vista laptop).

taks

PS: i'm like grond. :)

comrade taks... just because.

not to be stupidly obvious, but have you tried to open the task manager to see if anything specific comes up when you click on a link? i have word 2007, but have not tried to follow any links. in fact, i'm not even sure i have it running on my XP system or not (it was originally for my vista laptop).

taks

PS: i'm like grond. :teehee:

Yep, tried it in Task Manager and Process Explorer (SysInternals rocks). Nothing new comes up except IEXPLORE.EXE, which is in our policy. We're all stumped.

well, given that the links in question are hyperlinks, it might make sense that a portion of iexplore.exe (er, the all caps version) is what is actually being used to execute the link-follow command. it might not be the whole function, perhaps just a subset. in linux it would be a call something like "iexplore --follow-links" (just as a hypothetical) which would execute some subroutine that IE uses to follow hyperlinks.

just a guess.

taks

comrade taks... just because.