LA Noire

Maria Caliban

Ive seen those, but I dont recall them actually taking place in Los Angeles. They were recorded there obviously, but not set. Or am I confused here? I also seem to recall that the lady from shanghai takes place in the french riviera.

All the Phillip Marlowe books - 'The Big Sleep,' 'The Long Goodbye,' 'The High Window' - were set in LA.

I can't find the link, but I read a good article about Raymond Chandler, noir, and chivalric legends.

Actually just go read Raymond Chandler. You won't regret it.

Are you thinking of Ernest Fontana's "Chivalry and Modernity in Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep." ?

The Long Goodbye is so good

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

• 2 years later...

edit: to make this thread a bit morea appealing

logolanoire654x158.png

lanoirescreenshot174.jpg

Rockstar Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Team Bondi Pty Ltd to publish the ground-breaking next generation crime thriller L.A. Noire. Developed by Team Bondi, a new Australian based studio founded by Brendan McNamara, of The Getaway, L.A Noire is an interactive detective story set in the classic noir period of the late 1940's.

L.A. Noire blends action, detection and complex storytelling and draws players into an open-ended challenge to solve a series of gruesome murders. Set in a perfectly recreated Los Angeles before freeways, with a post-war backdrop of corruption, drugs and jazz, L.A. Noire will truly blend cinema and gaming.

From "10 things you didn't know about LA Noire":

-You play as a good guy for once

-Rockstar has overseen the action scenes

-LA is rockstar's biggest environment yet

-It's got new facial animation tech

-The vehicles come from Jay Leno's garage

-The conversation system is similar to Mass Effect's

-It's based on real crimes

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/videos/

Gameplay video. Was posted in Random thread but if we do have a thread about the game...

I'm more interested after seeing this video, feels like they've improved on what bothered me in the previous trailers. If the following trailers impress me as much i might even change my mind and buy it day 1.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

LA Noire look great, has great concept, good actors, euphoria physics engine, grea era... yes, I'd buy it day one except again, it's not for PC. It's like Red Dead redemption all over again ;)

I think Rockstar might have been (console) generation too early for the high quality facial animations, as polygon count, texture mapping techniques or animation smoothness are still bit too rough. Tech itself is impressive.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

looks very nice, reminded me of LA Confidential a lot (like everyone had noted already 2 years ago). but is it gonna be PS3 exclusive?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I have trouble imagining Rockstar pulling off a film noir setting. While GTA and Bully are both good properties, noir usually carries the expectation of subtly and sophistication. It would be like Bethesda conveying a grim, post-apocalyptic vibe in their setting.

Anyway, link.

I see what your saying. But... At at least it's an attempt at something new and grown-up that doesn't involve +5 Hackmasters or Plasma Pistols or Space Marines. I shall be guardedly optimistic until the reality of the computer games industry smashes me like a broken bird sucked into a jet engine.

For the record I don't like GTA et. al.

sonsofgygax.JPG

which makes for a big part of its charm I suppose

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It looks like it might be interesting... but .. sighs... like Red Dead Redemption its not being released on the pc.

Dang it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 3 weeks later...
Today we're pleased to announce the exclusive content bonuses for L.A. Noire available via retail partners across the US, UK and Canada including special unlockable crime cases, challenges, detective outfits with unique gameplay abilities and more.

lanoire-thenakedcity.jpg

Pre-Order with GameStop to get 'The Naked City' Vice Case & Badge Pursuit Challenge

(Also available via Game in the UK, and GameStop in Canada)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm tempted by this. I normally wouldn't bat an eye, but I took a chance on Red Dead Redemption and liked it. Anyone know the particular studio?

Edit: Apparently it's a studio called Team Bondi. I'll just have to remember to check out the reviews.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm NOT expecting this to be as good as red dead redemption. I'll be obviously very pleased if it is, but this game is barely on my radar right now as I have not heard of team bondi before this game and am too lazy to google them to see what else they have made.

now, track record isnt everything, look at the team that made batman AA, no one would have guessed based on their past games how good batman would turn out to be.

so im not ruling LA noire out completely, just saying that I'm barely even interested, and will remain so until we start seeing some actual reviews. maybe part of whats bugging me is I dont feel like they are making it clear how the game is going to PLAY, only look. looks are nice, but actual gameplay is better.

thats what I like about the previews for deus ex, they have gone into great detail explaining how the game plays compared to the original. I know what is different and what is being kept, and I'm excited about it. LA Noire seems to just be "its like gta, but not really, we have neat acting and mo-cap stuff, and we've got detective stuff, but better than other detective stuff you've seen in other games, we promise!"

not good enough

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm NOT expecting this to be as good as red dead redemption. I'll be obviously very pleased if it is, but this game is barely on my radar right now as I have not heard of team bondi before this game and am too lazy to google them to see what else they have made.

Nothing. This is their first project, the studio director is a former Sony studio boss with a pretty successful release under his belt.

If you're too lazy to look a team up, applying the "your product is only as good as your pedigree" philosophy seems kind of... limiting.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Rstar.png

Ah that's better.

Awesome! This is how pre-order bonuses should work. Most of it is garbage best lost to time and the few who pre-ordered the game, but some stuff is just too cool to be limited. I got the Deadly Assassin outfit when I pre-ordered Red Dead, and it is one of the cooler outfits in the game. You kind of look like the villain from Once Upon a Time in the West.

Nothing. This is their first project, the studio director is a former Sony studio boss with a pretty successful release under his belt.

If you're too lazy to look a team up, applying the "your product is only as good as your pedigree" philosophy seems kind of... limiting.

I think he is saying he plans on waiting until it is out and the feedback starts to roll in before looking too closely at it. That is what happened with Batman: AA, it wasn't on the radar for me, but when it came out and the folks that got it loved it, I had to grab it.

I think he is saying he plans on waiting until it is out and the feedback starts to roll in before looking too closely at it. That is what happened with Batman: AA, it wasn't on the radar for me, but when it came out and the folks that got it loved it, I had to grab it.

I'm sure, I was just being a ****.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I love Noir, and unlike you gerties I think Rockstar are probably the only major studio who could do it justice.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just hope that the main character speaks in mostly metaphor and simile.

It was a rainy night, like the heavens themselves finally got tired of the filth that is our city and was trying to wash it away.

Also... dame.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."