Got Programmers?

Guaigean

*Raising hand*

Been there, done that for 18 years: Comal 80, Pascal, Delphi, Gnu C, Gnu C++ (g++), Smalltalk, Forth, 10+ differenct basic dialects, 8/16/32 bit asm, 4th gen. platforms, Proprietary stuff on mainframes, Modula 2, html, xml, asp, logo, fortran, bash, perl, lisp etc. Can't remember having done Cobol though... weird ;)

These days I'm mostly doing design and prototyping though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

OMG :o That would make you about 40 :)

:o

37 actually. Started when I was 19 B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My two degrees are in physics, so I am a bit embarassed to write this but here goes (Intel/Digital/Visual/GNU) C++/C/Fortran (includes Sockets and OpenGL), Forth/PostScript, HTML/XML, Python/Perl/Bash/SH, GNU Make, 16/32 bit asm. And I know a tiny little bit of Java and SQL too (or maybe I have just looked at it and my ego says I know it HeHe).

Wow, 2 people who know forth on the same forum.

As for me, Pascal, Delphi, C, C++, Java, Perl, sh, ML (the little I remember from college), HTML/XML/Make if we're counting that. I feel awfully boring.

Any advice on how to get a development job, anyone? I've been stuck in IT for the last year, but I have a CS degree and a math minor. Need job. Am willing to work for less than you if you don't live in India or China or Russia or Indonesia.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Wow, 2 people who know forth on the same forum.

Adobe Postscript is based on Forth, so I was learning it concurrently with Postscript. I have never done anything official with Forth, just Postscript, but since Postscript was so wildely different then anything I have ever done at the time, I thought it was worth the time to go through it. I just consider it like one of those really out there languages, which really has no purpose other then job security. Postscript on the other hand I guess can be terribly useful, especially in the Unix/Linux world, which can be so heavily dependent on Postscript printers.

And if you have a bit of experience in Forth, writing software for yout HP calculators becomes childs play (at least the RPN models) :)

Postscript and Forth both have their benefits, and their own mentality. Nice stuff though for automated generation of images, and quick to learn.

... Guess I'll toss in my languages since I started this whole thing.

C, C++, Python, Perl, PHP, Bash, Java, Javascript, Coldfusion, Postscript and then the HTML/XML/Misc Web Junk (Apache is too much of a stretch so I won't even try claiming that one). Heavy experience in Qt and OpenGL for cross platforming. Um, there's more rattling around in there somewhere. I'll figure em out eventually.

Heavy experience in Qt and OpenGL for cross platforming. Um, there's more rattling around in there somewhere. I'll figure em out eventually.

I like Qt but their license agreement confuses me. I am a contractor, so I am never sure whether, or not I can use the Qt that comes free on my RH distribution without having to pay a license fee. I know on some of my analysis tools I can use it freely, because I am not selling anything, but I am not really sure if I have to license it when it is to be used for software that has been contracted, not necessarily sold.<_<

Any info on that?

There's a history behind it. Originally you had to license it for everything. Then, KDE began distributing their system, which is built extremely on Qt. They distributed it so widely and freely that the people making Qt (TrollTech) couldn't stop it. So, they figured they'd free it to all Unix/Linux users, as long as any software produced under the free license was released ONLY under the GNU License.

Any work started under the free version, must not ever be converted to commercial software, as it is considered to follow all rules of the GNU. So, in otherwords, if you ever plan to use any products which use Qt for commercial use, you have to start it with a pre-purchased license. But, if all you want to do is make free software, then you can use the free *nix version all you want. Just remember the requirement of releasing source code under the GNU. As far as I know, there is no "Free" version for either Windows or Macintosh, as Trolltech stated since they are both proprietary bodies, they have no interest in free knowledge, and therefore Qt used on those machines is considered for proprietary use. Although they may change their views on this eventually.

There's a history behind it. Originally you had to license it for everything. Then, KDE began distributing their system, which is built extremely on Qt. They distributed it so widely and freely that the people making Qt (TrollTech) couldn't stop it. So, they figured they'd free it to all Unix/Linux users, as long as any software produced under the free license was released ONLY under the GNU License.

Any work started under the free version, must not ever be converted to commercial software, as it is considered to follow all rules of the GNU. So, in otherwords, if you ever plan to use any products which use Qt for commercial use, you have to start it with a pre-purchased license. But, if all you want to do is make free software, then you can use the free *nix version all you want. Just remember the requirement of releasing source code under the GNU. As far as I know, there is no "Free" version for either Windows or Macintosh, as Trolltech stated since they are both proprietary bodies, they have no interest in free knowledge, and therefore Qt used on those machines is considered for proprietary use. Although they may change their views on this eventually.

This was pretty much the conclusion that I arrived at, and unfortunately stopped using it for this reason. Its nice as Qt is, it just doesn't make that much sense to pay for an object oriented GUI for what we're doing. And IMO that is really too bad since I really like it, and it would just be heaven to get away from X,Xt, Motif.

Holy Crap I forgot to mention X toolkit intrinsics and Motif (which is just C) in my list.

Two more baby...

Wait, this is not a competition. ;)

Wait, this is not a competition. :p

Everything is a competition :p

Sounds like a challenge to me.

I'm learning Forth as we speak. Then I'll learn B, and Haskell, and AspectJ, and Plankalkul. Then I'll show you.

Don't let me down.

Wait, this is not a competition. :)

Everything is a competition :p

Sounds like a challenge to me.

I'm learning Forth as we speak. Then I'll learn B, and Haskell, and AspectJ, and Plankalkul. Then I'll show you.

What is Haskell and Plankalkul ? The latter sounds almost like som Matlab derivative :p

B.t.w. Anybody ever found any useful application of UML yet ?

(Besides baffling lay people with gibberish :) )

Haskell is a screwy functional language and Plankalkul was the first high-level programming language, spec'd by a nazi scientist and not implemented until the early 70's (by which time it was obsolete). Plan - Kalkul : 'programmed calculus' or something to that effect (if anyone knows German...)

Smart ass, I was being

As for UML, I know there are some programs to turn your UML model into emtpy methods (VS.NET Enter. Archi. does this, as well a a couple of open source tools), saving you the trouble of writing them down yourself. Seriously though, I think the point of most Software Engineering is just to make managerial types nod. You explain something over their heads with vaguely familiar and natural-sounding words, easing them into a steady, smiling nod.

Don't let me down.

Haskell is a screwy functional language and Plankalkul was the first high-level programming language, spec'd by a nazi scientist and not implemented until the early 70's (by which time it was obsolete). Plan - Kalkul : 'programmed calculus' or something to that effect (if anyone knows German...)

Smart ass, I was being

Whoa! That means it even predates Algol68 ! :p

Always thought Dijkstra was one the creators of modern computer science. Apparantly not...

As for the UML part, sounds pretty much like my own conclusion :p

No better, no worse than any other CASE tool. Just curious about other peoples experience with design tools.