KotOR 2 Won't Start

I just bought KotOR 2 using some money I got as a Christmas present, and I am having no luck in getting it to start. I recently upgraded my computer and put Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on it, and now I am regretting that because I have been having a world of trouble with my old games, or even somewhat newer "old games". I went to Vista x64 because it's what was available to me in 64 bit (my university provides full installs of various operating systems as part of our technology fee) and I did not want to lose the memory to XP x86's memory addressing limits, but I think I would have been better off to have kept 32-bit and just lost the memory.

I have installed KotOR 2 in compatibility mode for XP SP2 with Administrator privileges. The install works fine. Once it is installed, I try to run swkotor2.exe directly, in XP SP2 compatibility mode with Administrator privileges. I have updated my mss32.dll file as well. I get the LucasArts logo, then the Obsidian logo, and then the screen with the guy from the cover. After this, the application dies, and I get a message stating that the program has stopped responding. Here is the text of the error report.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: swkotor2.exe

Application Version: 2.1.0.0

Application Timestamp: 425588ba

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0687

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 01c0f8d9

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0687

Additional Information 2: 88e21d52560da176eb89daff91ffc4c5

Additional Information 3: a63e

Additional Information 4: 6f6fa35934eca226845e70a0e80be037

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 on 4GB of RAM and an eVGA GeForce 9600GT, with a Core 2 Duo E6300. Here is my DxDiag dump.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/28/2008, 12:47:07

Machine name: HELIOS

Operating System: Windows Vista

• 7 months later...

hey man i get the same appcrash all the time. :(

i went to CAN YOU RUN IT (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest) and it said everything was in top condition and said it should run great but still get the appcrash

i recommend if your using a 64bit vista computer to try the link for CAN YOU RUN IT

:) hope it helps

heartless_symbol_by_tornadow61.jpg

yes darkness and light are eternal,and nothing goes on forever too, but it doesn't mean you do too

• 2 weeks later...

try this thread, KotOR 1 + 2 Vista fixes thread

also, try adding "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" in the graphics section.

there are many good suggestions for installing and getting KotOR 2 to run under vista including: install under compatability mode, get new .exe from securecom - link is in the thread, use nhancer to create profile to force opengl to version 1.4, replace mss32.dll, and more.

• 9 months later...

i was having the same problethere is another way... you can use a brute force method by using an autoclicker to spam the exe in the right spot to open it then close the appcrash over and over. ussually at around the 500th open, it works

ive used this method for 3 months now and it may take a while but it works