World of Darkness Online News now live!

Rhomal

Greetings all,

I would like to announce the first news/community site for the World of Darkness Online MMORPG currently is production is now live!

The site will feature the latest news, rumors and interviews with the devs as well the following:

- MySpace like profile system where you can create your own sub-page with your information and players and guilds can network and meet each other.

- Advanced and full featured forums

- WoD Online Wiki

- Public Gallery

- Integrated JAVA client IRC chat

- Scheduling system where you can post any events or gatherings you will have

Looking forward to all the White Wolf and WoD fans to stopping by!

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

Harlequin

Admin of WoD Online News

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

With how much time and effort you put in the site I hope the game and the site is a success for you. personally I don't see the point of yet another worthless MMO. I mean, don't we have enough of them already? Oh well, I hope it works out for you.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

With how much time and effort you put in the site I hope the game and the site is a success for you. personally I don't see the point of yet another worthless MMO. I mean, don't we have enough of them already? Oh well, I hope it works out for you.

Thank you :) The way I look at it, like CRPGS back in the 80s and early 90s, or RTS's today there were/are a ton of them but only a few were worth any time. Same with MMOs indeed there are many however how many good ones are there worth more then the first free month? Very few IMO. With the owners of the license directly involved of the development (White Wolf) I have a pretty good feeling the end product with be enjoyable. But time will tell of course. But at least its not some 3rd party who never played the PnP game trying to make a MMO out of it so that's a positive in my mind and a reassuring first step.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Aren't those developers the same as of EVE Online? I heard they might get forced out of Iceland due to the hard hit of the recession.

Indeed, news story here:

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Home/tabid/36...om-Iceland.aspx

If all else fails they will prob move to Atlanta where WW is (or whatever the city is down south were WW is now based). Since they are now a merged company would make sense to me, but I don't know the inner workings of the company so I could be talking out of my arse :)

Either way from my understanding WW is doing all the design docs/work for the MMORPG and CCP doing the actually coding since that is forte of each. I am sure some cross over will happen as ideas get tossed between them but generally that makes the most sense to me.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

So Ill be able to join yet another online grindfeats, except this time the world is populated mostly by Gabs? Hooray!! :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Damn, damn, damn... Now I'll have to decide if my hatred of MMOs or my love of The World of Darkness is greater - unless it's a non-pay-for-play game that is... :woot:

LOL

I don't know what the distaste of MMORPGs is here. While I am quite picky of the ones I tried, those few that I did turned out to be a enjoyable experience as a whole and at the very least had some memorable RP excursions with fellow RP enthusiasts. That aside since this is being developed by white wolf themselves I expect all else aside it will be as true to the setting as possible when converting from one medium to another (though they have strongly implied expect changes from the PnP to online version rules wise which shouldn't be a huge shock). While possible I feel it improbable they will FUBAR this up.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Damn, damn, damn... Now I'll have to decide if my hatred of MMOs or my love of The World of Darkness is greater - unless it's a non-pay-for-play game that is... :woot:

The fault with MMO's isnt that you pay by the month, its that theyre boring and repetative as hell. Its just grinding and looting with nothing else.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

[quote name='H

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Wait a minute. It is still a MMOrpg. Most of us have tried and know what MMOs are about. With or without wampire toons, you still need a solid idea about the game mechanics and what the endgame should be about. From my point of view, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar stronger IP:s have failed to make a good MOOrpg.

Fangs of no fangs. You need to make a functional game to make this work. What is the idea?

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

EVE Online is a successful MMO, and you have the same developers. It is really way too early to tell how good WoDo will be, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, just because some people on this forum don't like MMO's, doesn't mean there aren't a plethora of good ones out there. It just isn't your cup of tea, get over it.

In the last few years I've had a blast playing the following MMO's, all of which vary quite a bit: World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online and Tabula Rasa. Only Tabula Rasa has failed, although Vanguard looked close to death for a bit. Vanguard is actually one of the better ones I've played, it's incredibly large and complex. It's just not as focused as the others.

The biggest problem with htis is that VtM doesnt lend itself to MMO gamplay. There is nothing that could act as mobs to grind and gain xp, theres no magic loot, there's no gold to be farmed. You have clans which can act as races or guilds, but there ends any possibility to make an MMO thats credible and not a complete arserape of the setting.

So Ill be able to join yet another online grindfeats, except this time the world is populated mostly by Gabs? Hooray!! :*

Cyber FTW.. ATFW?!

*Shakes head and cries*

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I am sure we can stick with the topic and be constructive. If you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The biggest problem with htis is that VtM doesnt lend itself to MMO gamplay. There is nothing that could act as mobs to grind and gain xp, theres no magic loot, there's no gold to be farmed. You have clans which can act as races or guilds, but there ends any possibility to make an MMO thats credible and not a complete arserape of the setting.

I am going to regret this but here goes...

Thats its biggest strength. its not in a tradition fantasy setting and thus gives freedom to do things with a more modern approach and very different from most other MMOs.

No NPCs to kill? have you read the v:tm or v:tr books? there are plenty of choices, not only inter clan fighting but other monsters of the night in the setting such as mummies, wraiths and other undead. Not to mention the vamp vs werewolf vs mages backstory.

And magic items exist but are quite rare. IMO makes them much more valuable. Whats so special if you got a item that 1/2 the other server popular has? If they keep with that tradition then it will make anything you get truly valuable rather then 'oh.. I got 4 of those too'.

You do know we trade in paper money now a days right? As they do in the vampire setting? You you have bills rather then gold coins... *shrug*

If you are really interested on learning about a very valid possibility of turning the setting into a interesting MMO rather then just post constant negative drivel (in which case we get it you don't like the idea, move along) read this:

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Forums/tabid/...ic/Default.aspx

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

LotR Online has dealt with a fairly low magic setting, and they've done so very creatively.

Most of the folks who try to generalize all MMO's as fitting one formula haven't played enough of them to really know what they are talking about.

No NPCs to kill? have you read the v:tm or v:tr books? there are plenty of choices, not only inter clan fighting but other monsters of the night in the setting such as mummies, wraiths and other undead. Not to mention the vamp vs werewolf vs mages backstory.

So what you are saying is: "Yes, there are mobs to kill and grind!" - ?

This is not a general naysaing response. I'm truly interested in hearing if you have put any thought into making a MMO. Or if your idea is to make a 'common' mmo with a Wampire-shell, and then fine tune the gameplay with rare magic items etcetera?

If so. I see vaporware.

And to the other fellow stating that EVE is a successful MMO. Though, EVE still is a very marginal game lookig at amount of people playing, it is as you stated a good MMO. The point is that the developers of EVE are just implementing the design of WW. WW have ZERO experience of making a FUN computer game with solid gameplay and good design.

If anything I believe that WW have a better chance of programming the the game then actually trying to design a fun wampire MMO.

I have played lots of MMOs. The only 2 good games besides WoW (which is the last MMO i played) where EvE and the betagame WISH (they capsized before releasing, awesome game and idea tho).

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

Most of the folks who try to generalize all MMO's as fitting one formula haven't played enough of them to really know what they are talking about.

I would actually state the precise opposite. Folks who DO NOT SEE the obvious generic formulas that MMOs have have not played enough of them. Now, if playing enough MMO:s is a good thing or not.. that is another question.

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

Yup, all MMO's are built on the same principles with small superficial differances. And as I said before, I dont think there is any chance of porting VtM to the MMO format without completely raping the setting. And its not like CCP would take any chances by inventing something new.

There is nothing that could act as mobs to grind and gain xp

"Greetings, fledgeling. There is a cop in this town who has come dangerously close to uncovering the Masquerade and revealing our existence to the unsuspecting world. What I want you to do is to instill fear into his heart. Kill 15 policemen and bring me their badges as a proof of your deed. That'll show him!"

:-

EDIT: That actually makes sense if the quest-giver is a Malk. WoD is awesome.

Edited by H
20795.jpg

[quote name='H