Christmas Gifts

Arkan

So

Do any of you make your Christmas gifts for others, or do you all primarily buy everything?

I ask because I just got done making 12 pounds of fudge, including peanut butter, chocolate, and white chocolate.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

bought

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I only buy for my parents and my brother and his family. This year I just used Amazon, got everything on one site and had it shipped to their houses already gift wrapped. My mother has been asking me to go down to Florida and spend Christmas there but it's just such a tremendous pain having to board some of the dogs over a holiday. Plus I have a job interview lined up on the 29th. For the dogs I just ordered toys from Fosters catalog and I'll hit Three Dog Bakery tomorrow morning. For me I bought Storm of Zehir.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So

Do any of you make your Christmas gifts for others, or do you all primarily buy everything?

I ask because I just got done making 12 pounds of fudge, including peanut butter, chocolate, and white chocolate.

You will make your friends very happy and fat. They will love you for it. When I was an apprentice, one of my journeyman gave me a plate of homemade cookies for Christmas. I didn't fully appreciate this until later when I started baking a bit for myself. That plate of cookies gained a lot more appreciation for what a pain in the butt in was to make. I was later given a bottle of grape wine and gained the same appreciation. Many people unfortunately don't fully understand what they have been given until they try to do it themselves. I used to give away quarts of homemade coffee liquor to some of my customers. For some perverse reason, the gift gained value when I started giving them pints. Stupid, I know, but that how it was. The same with hot pepper powder ( habanero/bot jolokia ).

Most of the stuff I gave for Yule was store purchased. However, I made/cut an amber pendant for my daughter with a spider in it ( about 30 million years old ). It took me a couple of hours to construct it with a bit of gold. Being Wiccan however, it took me about a week to properly complete it.

( If this doesn't make sense to you, try looking up what is required to create 'permanence' in creating an item in AD&D 1stEd. - IE - Constitution ) :wink:

My kid is the center of my life and I would/will do anything to benefit her at most any cost to myself. What parent would do otherwise?

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

My mother has been asking me to go down to Florida and spend Christmas there but it's just such a tremendous pain having to board some of the dogs over a holiday.

That's what an RV is for.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I gave homemade stuff away over the christmas warm up. Otherwise, I kind fo gave up. I used to make jewellery for the ladies, but it is quite expensive and they rarely appreciate the effort. Which is ironic ecause I almost always have someone offer to buy the bloody stuff when I do.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My mother has been asking me to go down to Florida and spend Christmas there but it's just such a tremendous pain having to board some of the dogs over a holiday.

That's what an RV is for.

Seconded. Although GD would need a pretty hefty rig for his 25 dogs.

I resorted to buying everything, since I hardly have the space and stuff to come up with anything home-made. I live in a closet filled with old newspapers.

Sad, really. But then again, I got to share on the Bushmills I bought for my dad. Cheers.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Plus I have a job interview lined up on the 29th.

cool. do you mind telling us who with? also, have you checked out that consulting website i posted in the other thread? just curious. good luck with the interview either way.

we used to buy for everyone, i.e., my two brothers and their girlfriends (at the time), my parents, aunt (dad's sister), uncle (mom's brother) and cousin (the aunt's daughter). besides being expensive, one year it got to the point that we couldn't even walk into the room at my aunt's house and had to stand in the hall with runners going in and fetching gifts. that ended. then we went to the gift draw which ultimately ended when we started having kids. now we just buy for all the kids in the family. since i'm in CO, that means mad shipping rushes at the last minute between here and st. louis.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

do you mind telling us who with?

It's a contract job from Tek Systems. They will not tell me who the client is before screening but a little digging around has convinced me it's Clear Channel Communications. The job requires expertise in FCC licensing procedures and requirements. Boring stuff. It's not a a permanent solution nor is it likely to lead to one but its a pay check until something better presents itself.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

ah, gotcha. well, if you're qualified for FCC licensing stuff you're qualified to put in some time at the GL Group. that's the kind of experience they typically use.

i went out today and bought a bunch of "supporting" supplies for xmas. i had to get two gifts and look at another that my wife wants to get me. one of the gifts i was supposed to buy was a comforter set for the two of us, but i need michele to see it first. the other was a DS game for the squirt. the one i looked at was a knife set that i've been wanting (cooking, not carnage). somehow today turned into a ridiculous amount of money after i ended up getting new gloves for the squirt and new thermals for both of us and an oil change.

so yea, i'm buying. it just won't end.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I resorted to buying everything, since I hardly have the space and stuff to come up with anything home-made. I live in a closet filled with old newspapers.

Sad, really. But then again, I got to share on the Bushmills I bought for my dad. Cheers.

Bushmills is great whisky. Cheers.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Congratulations. Now start trying to book for Valentine's day.

-Elwood Blues

Bought: christmas presents for ~300 euros. + a 37" FullHD TV for myself

Recieved: A new 22" FullHD LCD monitor, a Zoom G-2 (programmable) guitar effectbox for my 7-string, Sun Tzu's "The Art of War", DVD's and loads of chocolate.

I guess that i broke even, excluding the TV that i bought for myself.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Chocolates and a game board.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sun Tzu's "The Art of War",

Which translation?

-Elwood Blues

Sun Tzu's "The Art of War",

Which translation?

Samuel B. Griffith. I have no idea on which is the 'best' translation.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

*puts hand up*

That was me being a snob. Sorry. I just think the James Clavell translation is the best for explaining the concepts with clear concise examples.

I quite enjoy getting second hand stuff and stuff from charity shops. It's often of excellent, if dented quality. I suppose it comes of years of looting corpses in RPGs.

-Elwood Blues

My gf's little sister made me a large wooly scarf. I adore it. Best gift in years.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds