look at this dnd image

What the hell is that for?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Vexed much?

Here's a nice idea, get a fighter/barbarian with a falchion, proceed to make him a Weaponmaster PrC, keen weapon and improved critical on falchion. By level 20, you will enjoy critical hits on a d20 result of a natural 9 and up. That should make you feel MUCH better. Unless the DM is a douche, in which case substitute PHB in the picture with the DM in question.

• 2 weeks later...
Or better yet, get 4e.

Garbage. Worse than 3.x.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Whatever the edition, I'm getting a bit tired of them re-hashing/re-using alot of the old materials, book titles, and themes yet again. Manual of the planes, fiend folio, etc. all the rage back in the 80's, yet you see versions for 3E/4E. Thought it was amusing, but they've actually re-released the 80's endless quest books(choose your own d&d adventure)... No new stories, just the original writings wrapped in, I assume, new covers... as if this was great writing to begin with. I"ve seen several Vecna, Kos, and tomb of horrors articles on the wotc/d&d main page lately. Once again, Forgotten Realms is the main game world.

D&D remains so steeped in, and dependent upon, nostalgia. Wish they could break away from that and come up with some new ideas again. Like in the 80's... when dragonlance, the colored box sets, and such, were all new...

Honestly, they tried it with Eberron, but nobody bought it. Of course they'll just reroll back to FR since it's the setting that sells the most.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What about Grey Hawk? You had so many neat worlds Living Grey Hawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms. Didn't get into Blood rite/right? and there was another about middle Earth or something about the sun. My memory is so bad. ;)

But yes, something needs to be done besides updates to the AD&D books. Think I'll pull out my Tunnels and Trolls books.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Whatever the edition, I'm getting a bit tired of them re-hashing/re-using alot of the old materials, book titles, and themes yet again. Manual of the planes, fiend folio, etc. all the rage back in the 80's, yet you see versions for 3E/4E. Thought it was amusing, but they've actually re-released the 80's endless quest books(choose your own d&d adventure)... No new stories, just the original writings wrapped in, I assume, new covers... as if this was great writing to begin with. I"ve seen several Vecna, Kos, and tomb of horrors articles on the wotc/d&d main page lately. Once again, Forgotten Realms is the main game world.

D&D remains so steeped in, and dependent upon, nostalgia. Wish they could break away from that and come up with some new ideas again. Like in the 80's... when dragonlance, the colored box sets, and such, were all new...

Honestly, what do you espect? Not all new players have access to OD&D/1st/2nd edition materials, and even those who do want to see them converted to the new game rules. I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to the endless quest books, I've never seen one made for D&D. If the game has planes (as it should), there should be a Manual of the Planes to deal with the cosmology. Sure, it shouldn't just rehash the same old stuff - it should add new stuff to the mix. And it does that.

Forgotten Realms is not the main game world in 4E. The plan is to release one setting per year, and FR, being the most popular, got released first. They don't plan to publish additional setting books for FR. In fact, you would be hard pressed to even recognize the current version of that setting as Forgotten Realms.

As stated, Eberron is the shiny new game world which was invented for 3.5E, and it will be updated to 4E this summer. The year after that, they will either publish a new setting or update one of the old favorites.

And new stories are published all the time, they just draw upon the tons of rich lore from previous editions to establish themselves as parts of the continuity. If you have a story set in Greyhawk, of course it will likely mention Vecna, Kas, Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil at some point. If you have a story set in Scotland, I'm sure William Wallace and the Loch Ness monster are bound to pop up eventually.

Ironically, one of the main criticisms of 4E is that it breaks too many ties with D&D traditions and severs itself from the continuity. I tend to agree with it.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Honestly, what do you espect? Not all new players have access to OD&D/1st/2nd edition materials, and even those who do want to see them converted to the new game rules. I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to the endless quest books, I've never seen one made for D&D. If the game has planes (as it should), there should be a Manual of the Planes to deal with the cosmology. Sure, it shouldn't just rehash the same old stuff - it should add new stuff to the mix. And it does that.

In regards to endless quest books, you must be thinking of some other series. They were pretty much all based upon d&d and d&d campaign worlds. With, I think, maybe a couple based on Gamma World and Top Secret. Sure, they are going to have planes of existance in d&d, but they could have called it something else... Manual of the Planes smacks of needless nostalgia.

Forgotten Realms is not the main game world in 4E. The plan is to release one setting per year, and FR, being the most popular, got released first. They don't plan to publish additional setting books for FR. In fact, you would be hard pressed to even recognize the current version of that setting as Forgotten Realms.

Haven't been following 4e product release scheduling that closely, so that's news to me. And good news if they can come up with some decent settings. Which begs the question, if so unrecognizable, why couldn't they simply have called this version of the FR something else?

As stated, Eberron is the shiny new game world which was invented for 3.5E, and it will be updated to 4E this summer. The year after that, they will either publish a new setting or update one of the old favorites.

Don't care for the Eberron warforged look... They need to try something different. Amazingly, I see they've come out with recent Dark Sun books. That setting actually had some merit.

And new stories are published all the time, they just draw upon the tons of rich lore from previous editions to establish themselves as parts of the continuity. If you have a story set in Greyhawk, of course it will likely mention Vecna, Kas, Tomb of Horrors or Temple of Elemental Evil at some point. If you have a story set in Scotland, I'm sure William Wallace and the Loch Ness monster are bound to pop up eventually.

If the stories and scenarios are good enough, they should be able to stand on their own merits, not lean upon works of 3 decades ago as if on a crutch.

Ironically, one of the main criticisms of 4E is that it breaks too many ties with D&D traditions and severs itself from the continuity. I tend to agree with it.

Break with it completely and come up with new materials... the way they used to. The late 70's/80's tsr designers were'nt writing as if to establish a master template of books and content that had to be repeated every few years, they simply jotted down ideas they thought were cool.

Edited by Stephen Amber

Never got into Dark Sun that much, nor did I like Spelljammer. (Plz dont bring that back!!!) Greyhawk was and still is the grandfather of um all. Dragonlance, ... yea. Forgotten Realms is great too, but rehashed to much. Eberron, cant stand it. Only reason I play DDO is because it's the only D&D based MMo out there, hate WoW. If they were to make another D&D MMO, I'd like to see it in either Greyhawk or (yes here it comes) Faerun. Just for the fact that both of those have pretty good areas and much more suited for MMO play. Of course, they could always do something like SWG and make it to where you could D-Door from one world to the other. That would be nice, both for PnP and Digital. One quest may take places in Greyhawk, but ties into something in DS, then ends up in Ravenloft. Whoa, thats actually kind of disturbing nvm, lol.

gtdarktrooper.png

If the next DnD MMO was set in Faerun, I might actually play it.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 4 weeks later...
If the next DnD MMO was set in Faerun, I might actually play it.

Considering the total and utter annihilation of Faer

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Reason #1 why it sucks. It destroyed an awesome setting like the Forgotten Realms.

I agree that that's one of the major reasons it sucks, but lest we forget I also want to point out that not only did they destroy the fluff and especially Forgotten Realms, but they also raped the rules. Raped them them, waterboarded them and then cut them apart in small slices, threw them into a mixer where they shredded them and finally canibalisticaly devoured them. Their, ehm, biological products, ehm, then became 4E rules.

you know, I never liked the vacian spell casting, but atleast; when I achieved high levels as a wizard, I fealt powerful.

It could of used a mana point deal with it, but then Im the person who thinks the sorcerer was worthless.

moving on, the 4e wizzard makes me feel like the char is weak.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

• 4 months later...

:: Sigh ::

Setting specific D&D was a 2E development, really. OD&D, and later 1E AD&D were meant to be generic fantasy settings with Greyhawk as this default, vanilla place hanging around in the background. I wish I still had my original World of Greyhawk campaign setting for 1E AD&D, just so we could compare it with (say) the 3E Forgotten Realms splat-book (which is a great product, but everything, including I suspect Thayvian pasta sauce recipes and different types of socks worn on the Sword Coast is in there).

The original Greyhawk was in an old-style cardboard module cover. You got a big colourful map and a slim book which gave you about a paragraph on each area. You were encouraged to make the rest up. Every module gave you a rough Greyhawkian location if you were using it, no biggie if you weren't.

Gary Gygax wrote long, rambling essays on campaign building in the DMG. The whole 2E business model, which foresaw the collapse of TSR, revolved around splatbooks and campaign settings and has been stuck there ever since, and now includes the inevitable rule amendments, complete with (yes) more splatbooks.

The only setting-specific games I've ever played that really felt like the rules were segued nicely into the setting were RuneQuest and Traveller. D&D, for me, has always worked best, and in the spirit of the original game, in a home-brewed campaign setting.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG