SteveThaiBinh

Sunrise (1927)

Gone With the Wind (1939)

His Girl Friday (1939)

Bringing Up Baby(1938)

Adam

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

you watched... mamma mia!? oof, that must've taken patience.

we rented the new mummy flick the other day. good movie, but i missed the original chick. they had a funny ploy in the beginning to explain her absence (well, they made a joke of it), but the new one wasn't quite as good. an overall entertaining movie with a few scenes that had me almost wetting my pants laughing so hard.

next i'm going to get mirrors, with kiefer sutherland. i need a good horror flick since the last one i watched was semi-bleh (the messengers). hopefully this one does better.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Sunday afternoon I took my daughter to see Twilight. I'd read the book so I knew what I was getting myself into, but still had to laugh most of the way through it. It takes itself soooo seriously, which considering it's a movie about a sparkly 100 yr old vegetarian vampire who falls in love with / wants to eat an obnoxious teenage girl... well... it's... amusing, at the very least.

I most enjoyed the performance of Bella's father, who's eye rolling frustration with the teenage girl drama was pretty perfect and reflected much of the adult audience's feelings pretty well.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

you watched... mamma mia!? oof, that must've taken patience.

I saw it with my mum the other day. It was hilariously awful.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Tried to watch Mutant Chronicles today - after 30 minutes I was bored out of my skull and had to turn it off .. they have CGI rain in the film all the time and it's really awful to look at.. It has some redeming qualities though - like almost being so bad it's funny.. but unfortunately it's just not so bad that it's good.

The wierd part is that Thomas Jane, Ron Pearlman, John Malkovich and Sean Pertwee (okay Sean is quite often in B films, but at least he's usually ok in them) are in the film - the wierder thing is that I've never seen worse acting from either of them.

That's 5$ and 30 minutes of my life wasted..

If you have masochistic tendencies, go see this film!

Fortune favors the bald.

Taken... Best movie I've seen in a long while. Actually had spying which is unusual for spy flicks these days.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Idiocracy

I had recorded it off Comedy Central over the weekend and it was somewhat cleaned up and probably massively edited, but it was still pretty funny. Makes me want to see an unedited version, though.

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

What Women Want - While funny at times, and entertaining this movie can eaisly be seen as sexist since it basically streotypes both genders. Gibson gives a good performance with a character that could easily delve into being really dislikeable.

Grandma's Boy - I really liked this movie when I first watched it; but rewatching it is mildly entertaining and really gross but not in the good way. L0L

Glitter - I know people will say I'm stupid (hey, what's new, lol); but this movie is underrated. This Mariah Carey vehicle was proclaimed 'one of the worst movies ever' which is just bogus. Sure, Carey's part isn't a huge stretch for her obviously; but she does a solid job in the role. To me, it's very similar in tone and quality to 8 Mile.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just saw Man from Earth the other day..

It's actually one of the better Sci-fi films I've seen in a very long time - it's entirely dialouge driven, no CG effects or anything like that.. it's just a bunch of people in a house.. talking..

The film is a return to old school sci-fi literature .. the kind that's more about ideas and concepts than fancy aliens etc. I wouldn't have been suprised if it was written by Isaac Asimov, in his early days. It has his "feel" to it.

I was really astonished when I found this news - apparently the movie became famous because it was pirated.

Eric Wilkinson, the producer of the independent film "The Man from Earth", wrote an email to RLSlog in which he thanks them for the free promotion they gave him. "In the future, I will not complain about file sharing" he wrote,

Fortune favors the bald.

I saw a movie the other day where Scotland got taken out by plague and years later had degenerated into a Mad Max-style PA dystopia. Anyway, some futuristic soldiers get into the armoured car from Aliens with the pretty brunette chick who took over from Kate Beckinsale in Underworld. They drive up there to get the vaccine for the plague, which had reappeared in London for some reason. England is run by a sinister totalitarian political party, so there was a bit of realism in the film.

Half the surviving Scots had gone all cannibal punk and the other half had gone all Medieval, living in castles and wearing chainmail. None of them sound very Scottish, which I suppose is a symptom of the plague, or bad casting, you decide. Pretty chick escapes in a pristine Bentley in a hilarious car chase that is a total homage to the end of Mad Max 2.

It was so insufferably preposterous that Mrs. Carlo and I laughed all the way through, loved it to bits and want to see it again. I can't even remember the title, but it was awesome and I implore you all to see it as soon as you can. Seriously.

My next big night in will be Jason Statham in Death Race. Am giddily excited.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Am very lucky, Mrs. Carlo hates sci-fi (i.e. "anything with spaceships") but really likes, er, non-spaceship based sci-fi. This is the way her mind works. Anyway, I've now indoctrinated her with the core message that it cannot be sci-fi if there isn't a spaceship.

Therefore she swooned all the way through the trailer for Death Race, both at hunky Jason as well as the silly cars and OTT action sequences.

It's all a question of semantics.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can't even remember the title, but it was awesome and I implore you all to see it as soon as you can. Seriously.

That would be Doomsday from writer/director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) with Rhona Mitra, Sean Pertwee, Alexander Siddig, Bob Hoskins, and Malcolm McDowell.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

my wife has no pre-conceived notions about sci-fi one way or another, and she seemingly adores jason statham so i suppose i'd be allowed to watch that movie if i wanted to (i don't, not my cuppa joe that one). she likes sci-fi hit or miss, in fact, though she tends to not like the stupid sci-fi channel movies that, well, anyone with a brain tends to disfavor as well.

i'm still waiting for a good time to rent mirrors. it's not something my son would watch (he's not into horror) which means post-9:00 viewing only, and mitch rarely makes it through anything i rent that late.

taks

I can't even remember the title, but it was awesome and I implore you all to see it as soon as you can. Seriously.

That would be Doomsday from writer/director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) with Rhona Mitra, Sean Pertwee, Alexander Siddig, Bob Hoskins, and Malcolm McDowell.

That's the one! Rhona is extremely lovely, but she does scowl all the way through the movie.

Oh, and SPOILER! Sean Pertwee gets eaten. I like Sean Pertwee, it was a shame to see him get eaten so early in the movie, but then again he might have had other commitments.

There's a Vin Diesel movie on pay-per-view at the moment called Babylon AD. Mrs. Carlo likes the look of it and so do I. Has anyone seen it? If so I'd be grateful for a quick review, although the synopsis seems reminiscent of the sci-fi movie with Bruce Willis and Gary Oldfield... blimey I'm getting bad at remembering movie titles at the moment!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

horror flicks, in general, tend to be pretty bland. i can't remember the last time i was actually frightened by a movie. of course, i don't count the sudden frights they always insert, which really aren't scary as they don't fill the movie with any sense of dread, just a temporary jolt to the senses, IMO. anyway, as a result, my expectations are low and i'm simply looking for a decent story.

taks

horror flicks, in general, tend to be pretty bland. i can't remember the last time i was actually frightened by a movie. of course, i don't count the sudden frights they always insert, which really aren't scary as they don't fill the movie with any sense of dread, just a temporary jolt to the senses, IMO. anyway, as a result, my expectations are low and i'm simply looking for a decent story.

taks

^ I was on my own in a house in Dorset (very rural), drunk and watching The Shining. It was pretty scary, although not as scary as my hangover the next day.

sonsofgygax.JPG