Movies you have seen recently

SteveThaiBinh

yes man

definitely not the best jim carrey movie i've seen, but still okay none the less

some bits were a bit slow, some were cheesy, but overall it wasn't too bad

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Not technically a movie - but my girlfriend returned from a trip to the states with Season 1+2 of Dexter. I've been watching them whenever I get the chance for the last week and I'm actually quite impressed. I'm definitely getting the books they are based on.

Fortune favors the bald.

My girlfriend bought me a Guillermo del Toro boxed set this weekend. We watched Pan's Labyrinth, which most of you have no doubt seen. However, we also watched The Devil's Backbone. This could easily have been a Western movie, involving far less of the Civil war than implied in the description. It is a complex film, slightly let down by its special effects, but more than compensated for by it's high grade acting, and unusual plot. I'd rate it very highly on the action, and emotional levels.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My girlfriend bought me a Guillermo del Toro boxed set this weekend. We watched Pan's Labyrinth, which most of you have no doubt seen. However, we also watched The Devil's Backbone. This could easily have been a Western movie, involving far less of the Civil war than implied in the description. It is a complex film, slightly let down by its special effects, but more than compensated for by it's high grade acting, and unusual plot. I'd rate it very highly on the action, and emotional levels.

Considering its a mexican flick with a budget of like 5 million, the effects are quite impressive. Devil's Backbone was the 2nd Del Toro flick I saw after Blade 2. I was impressed.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Lets see, since last I posted here I've seen:

The Spirit - terrible film, awful direction, no plot. One of the handful of films so bad I walked out on it, not because I can't take bad films but because it also committed the cardinal sin of being boring as well as bad.

Hair Extensions - kinda creepy, in its way, but not as scary as I'd hoped it might be.

The Ghoul - great old Boris Karloff film; one which apparently sent the UK censors wild at the time.

Speed Racer - such a fun, kinetic film. Truly a pity it didn't find its audience, IMO.

My Bloody Valentine 3D - nice use of 3d, effective slasher kinda disappointed in the end.

Underworld 3: Rise of the Lycans - for what it is, it was fun. But prequels where you know everything that HAS to happen can lack suspense, which this film does.

Dr. Syn alias the Scarecrow - Disney's TV adaption of the Scarecrow of Rommeny Marsh story. Pretty fun and Patrick McGoohan (RIP) is always good.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - I'd not seen this version since I was very young; good to see it again. Very effective remake - shows that it can be done and be just as good as the original.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So the 1978 version of IotBS was a remake itself? Interesting. Off to IMBD with me.

Yes, the original is from 1956.

The guy in the 1978 film who runs up to Donald Sutherland's car warning him that they're trying to take over only to be chased and hit by a car is actually the lead from the original film (Kevin McCarthy) and the scene itself an homage to the end of the 1956 film.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i remember now, i watched 28 weeks later the other night.

while there were some interesting moments, the film is marred by the standard assumption that everyone is sooooo stupid they couldn't manage to work a belt or shoelaces, let alone living. this is, of course, after all these stupid people were somehow clever enough to avoid all the rampaging zombies in the first place and re-colonize the UK. yup, we're smart enough to survive, but then took stupid pills once our survival was all but guaranteed... nope, no chance we'll booger that one up.

the first one was orders of magnitude better in nearly every respect.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i remember now, i watched 28 weeks later the other night.

the first one was orders of magnitude better in nearly every respect.

taks

I liked 'em both, but they're totally different movies. Days is more about the suspense, while Weeks is all about the action. Much like Alien vs Aliens.

28 Months Later is also coming up. Rumor has it that Danny Boyle, director of Days, will be returning.

I might have to watch 28 days if it's good zombie horror fun. After all that L4D gaming, I'm jonsin' for a well done zombie horror show.

We watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind the other day. I have to admit, never really got much out of it.

28 Days Later is a great one. 28 Weeks Later was well-shot, but it's hard to believe so many people could make so many stupid decisions so consistently. I'll still watch a sequel though.

I'm about halfway through a fairly recent Day of the Dead remake. It's pretty bad. My issue is that the zombies are all way too inconsistent. You have some zombies picking up mops to bang on air ducts when people are passing by, and that just seems a bit too much intelligence for a zombie. Plus they are super fast... it just seems like they've lost touch with the original zombie vision. I'm not sure how much involvement George Romero had in this, but it's been sad so far.

I haven't watched any films I actually haven't seen in quite a while.

The other day I rewatched The Ninth Gate, which is quite awesome. A few minor things that I don't like, but on the whole a very well executed thriller which doesn't go to far into the supernatural or fantastic on-screen (there are a few moments though). The investigative part of the plot is great to watch.

I also rewatched Once Upon a Time in the West, which is one of my favourite westerns (though my favourite is still probably The Good, the Bad and the Ugly). Sophia Loren, mmm... :thumbsup:

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

28 Days Later - Still as great of a film as when I first watched it. They really did a good job with this one and I hope they re-create the feeling in the next installment. ;)

28 weeks later?

They didn't, but it's still a good movie - in many ways as good as the first, just in a very different way.

Much like Alien vs Aliens

Fortune favors the bald.

Waterworld - Watchable but could have been so much more. Kinda creep how some of the men acted towards the little girl...

The Postman - Underrated. Hits all the notes it aimed for.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.