New Student

OntologicalOnion

Hello,

My name is Shawn. I am currently enrolled at CATO in the 3D Game Animation program, in Kelowna B.C. Canada.

We have been given an assignment in which we must interview an artist in the gaming industry. If someone could take the time to answer a few questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1.If you had to re-apply for your position, what would you put on your demo reel to secure an interview?

2.What is the best advice you could give a student who is just starting?

3.What does a typical day at work entail?

4.I know that this industry is very demanding, and requires a lot of hard work. That said, do you still have fun amidst all the chaos?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I hope you can get back to me.

shawn

Hey Shawn. I emailed some of our artists and will see if any of them are able to answer your questions.

Here's an answer from Obsidian's own Kevin Spangler!

1.If you had to re-apply for your position, what would you put on your demo reel to secure an interview?

There were a few things on my demo reel that weren't my best work...I'd get rid of those. Those things, don't even bother putting them on your reel. You only want people to see your absolute best work.

2.What is the best advice you could give a student who is just starting?

If you get the chance to take an internship, do it! That's the one thing I regret was not taking an internship during school. It'll be tough to manage your time, but it'll be worth the head start. I have this job because I took an internship.

3.What does a typical day at work entail?

When I'm not helping with the Mocap shoots, I'm animating. I do everything from running shoots, to cleaning mocap animation. We also hand key animations. And Meetings! We have a lot of meetings, which I think is great because you can never have too much communication.

4.I know that this industry is very demanding, and requires a lot of hard work. That said, do you still have fun amidst all the chaos?

Of course. Right now, we are pretty busy...but everyone has the same interests as you, generally speaking, so we all enjoy hanging out with each other. Everyone plays games. Lots of people play WOW... A bunch of us have a night where we get together and play fighting games. It's awesome. It's the best job I've ever had.

Kevin Spangler - Junior Animator

Matthew Rorie