DRM Thread

Since the old DRM thread has disappeared, I thought I would start a new one.

I was also prompted to do so by some joyous news: Ubisoft's retail version of the new Prince of Persia will not have any DRM! Link: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8...6017#6721096017

Go Ubisoft! I really hope this works out for Ubisoft!

Where does it say there won't be any DRM?

Edit: I see it now.

Sorry, you have my apologies but I was purely talking about store-bought copies of PoP which have no copy protection.
Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It says so right at the bottom. Woohoo!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

DRM is in the best interest of the consumer. After all the consumers demanded it, right?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

To quote Gabe Newell, head of Valve: "As far as DRM goes, most DRM strategies are just dumb. The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value (make it easy for me to play my games whenever and wherever I want to), not by decreasing the value of a product (maybe I'll be able to play my game and maybe I won't)."

To quote Gabe Newell, head of Valve: "As far as DRM goes, most DRM strategies are just dumb. The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value (make it easy for me to play my games whenever and wherever I want to), not by decreasing the value of a product (maybe I'll be able to play my game and maybe I won't)."

WHile I don't disagree with this thoughy, I will just point out that I have played a lot of games in my life. Every time I have had problems with a game it is because of bugs, not DRM. My most recent experience is with Far Cry 2 with contains a gamestopping bug that affects quite a few users. I would trade DRM for bugfree games any day.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

WHile I don't disagree with this thoughy, I will just point out that I have played a lot of games in my life. Every time I have had problems with a game it is because of bugs, not DRM. My most recent experience is with Far Cry 2 with contains a gamestopping bug that affects quite a few users. I would trade DRM for bugfree games any day.

What are you trying to say? That they should add DRM because it reduces bugs?

I agree with this. It may seem naive to say that "Hey, DRM has never caused any issues for me, so I'm not concerned about it" but I also haven't heard too many people have problems with DRM that weren't up to something shady. Every time we have a DRM thread we get a few people pretty much admitting they pirate titles, so it's hard to have much sympathy for them.

There is going to be a new update for Dragon Age today: Click Here

After the recent string of good news, I am really hoping that it's going to be an update to the FAQ and the update will mention that Dragon Age will not use DDRM!

Who knows, the thread being not stickied might mean that the issue will soon not be relevant!

I am fighting my hopes getting up too high, so that I am not disappointed.

I agree with this. It may seem naive to say that "Hey, DRM has never caused any issues for me, so I'm not concerned about it" but I also haven't heard too many people have problems with DRM that weren't up to something shady.

I have only had computer problems due to DRM once and that was not with games but with music. It was thanks to Sony's music DRM and my sister's Sony MP3 player. Suffice it to say, I have become much more cautious about DRM since that time - it was a real eye-opener for me that cost my family a great deal of frustration and also some money (the Sony MP3 device was rendered unusable). This was many years ago, and I have never had problems with DRM since then, since I simply don't buy any music or games that has DRM dependent on outside stuff (online activation...) and am very careful before buying any Sony equipment (well, to put it simply-my family no longer buys any Sony music-related equipment, though we are still fine with Sony TVs and so on).

And, of course, there is the longevity issue of draconian DRM (DDRM) that requires company servers to exist for online activation. As for normal DRM, such as disk-checks, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Regardless, there seems to be experimental movement away from draconian DRM by Ubisoft and perhaps even the EA. I really hope it works out for them and if so, than this topic will, of course, lose its relevance. That would be a win-win for all, I think.

What are you trying to say? That they should add DRM because it reduces bugs?

I'm saying, given my experience in gaming, focusing on DRM because of the problems it causes is focusing in the wrong place. Bugs are a much larger source of problems with games.

Please note, I am not saying DRM does not cause ANY problems, rather I am saying that bugs cause more problems.

I recognize that it is not really an either/or scenario, but, idealistically speaking, I wish gamers got as outraged about buggy games as they do about DRM.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

...but I also haven't heard too many people have problems with DRM that weren't up to something shady.

Buy GTA4 for the PC. Please. Do it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I had to authenticate my game three times with three different programs and they kept crashing and messing up my computer. Rockstar Social Club, Games For Windows Live and the actual game itself all needed to assuring I wasn't pirating something. I think it took me TWO HOURS before I was actually able to start up the damn game itself.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But any form of DRM makes the game UNPLAYABLE! Right D_N?

No, only the forms of DRM that I refuse to support make games unplayable - and then it's mainly because I do not buy, and thus do not play, the games.

...I also haven't heard too many people have problems with DRM that weren't up to something shady.

Well, I guess we've heard from different groups - I know plenty of people who do not like DRM and would not pirate something.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yes, pirates dislike DRM. Non-pirates also dislike DRM.

The perfect DRM would have a good balance between discouraging piracy without punishing the paying customer or tampering with their property. I have no problem with Mass Effect calling home when I install it. I dislike the fact that when I switch out my hardware, it will call home again and again and eventually tell me I can

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Why would pirates dislike DRM? They generally download their games already loaded with the crack and never have to deal with DRM.

Which just makes the situation all the more ironic.

You have a point.