Greetings all seeking staff for new news/community site

Rhomal

Great, yet another pathetic MMO that will probably burn and die like Conan, DDO, Vanguard, Age of Camelot, Tabula Rasa, the abortive attempt on Stargate and Fallout, and so forth and so on. That's all we need.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Only half of those titles actually burned and died, Hades. Dark Ages of Camelot was successful and had multiple expansions. DDO and Vanguard are still plugging away modestly, and Age of Conan sold a million copies at release (although bad business decisions have pissed that away.)

There are quite a few success stories to go along with your doom and gloom.

If its a MMO, then its CRAP! Crap I tell you.

As someone who gave AoC almost 3 months and became a in-game 'Follower' (staff who addressed player trouble tickets and bug reports) I can say AoC, if you were a RPer was VERY enjoyable. If all you were into was the H&S aspects and l33t l00t then yes it got quite repetitive after the first 8 weeks due to some poor design decisions. (The fact you can grind your way to max lvl in a matter of 2 weeks (or less) and then little 'end game' content was a biggie). Then many of the major features were not buggy but simply broke on release didn't help.

However if gaining lvls and l00t wasn't your #1 reason for playing the RP community was fantastic (on the right servers). And if you played as a RPer first then you could get a lot more out of the game then a non-RPer. It wasn't a cure all but it make the game a lot easier to enjoy. I had some fantastic RP encounters, meet some great people and overall enjoyed my time and don't regret giving it a shot. However the direction they were taking the game and the slowness to address certain major issues (like the craft system that spills over in the RP community as without a living player economy that hurts RPers and non-RPers alike) just made me loose interest.

It is a good game as a whole, and getting better, but I rather take a step back now, and check it out again in 6-12 months. If they addressed the issues that effected me the most I'll give it a shot again perhaps. But to use a blanket statement to say AoC was a failure isn't too accurate in my view. On some levels it certainly didn't get off the right foot or make the best design choices, however there were just as many aspects they hit the nail on the head.

Its a mmorpg that has promise at the very least and some of the RPing I did rivaled 80% of the 'RP' nwn servers out there to be blunt. So its certainly has merit if you are a RPer at least.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I just don't believe in paying a monthly fee for a game I already paid for. If I am going to spend $30 to $50 for a PC game, depending on its age, I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee on top of that. That is why MMOs are crap. Its not the gameplay, its the constant money grabbing.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I just don't believe in paying a monthly fee for a game I already paid for. If I am going to spend $30 to $50 for a PC game, depending on its age, I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee on top of that. That is why MMOs are crap. Its not the gameplay, its the constant money grabbing.

Well the issue with your argument is they (the service providers) have to pay for server fees and staff fees for additional content. if the mmorpg in question wasn't adding or upgrading the game then you would have a possible argument, but since that's not the case the argument holds little water. Unless you can provide a way for them to pay for the server admins, hardware and support staff in a different way.

Edited by Rhomal

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Well the issue with your argument is they (the service providers) have to pay for server fees and staff fees for additional content. if the mmorpg in question wasn't adding or upgrading the game then you would have a possible argument, but since that's not the case the argument holds little water. Unless you can provide a way for them to pay for the server admins, hardware and support staff in a different way.

Its simple. Do it the Guild Wars way.

And their business model failed anyway, hence why GW2 is going to be pay-to-play.

But Sand, like a lot of anti-MMOers is bitter more in theory than practice anyway, since 'I don't want to pay!' is a more convenient excuse than 'the games arn't actually that great' which, for the most part is completely true. After all, ANY gamer would be able to compile a wishlist of features for their dream game and continue by excusing nominal monthly costs, objection to which is more on a moral basis than a finantial one. After all, even a minimum wage warehouse packer can pay off an entire month in about an hour, and a doctor working overtime can pay off about a year in two hours, so anyone who claims that the money is REALLY an issue is only saying so because the games themselves arn't WORTH that money, which is completely legitimate, but a slightly different issue.

However, anyone who claims that even the best game they could think of wouldn't be worth (a justified) $5 a month then they've probably got higher recreational priorities than games in the first place (such as arguing on the internet or taking their clothes off).

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Geez, I'm pretty sure I've explained why the business model of MMO's is an economic necessity about 5 times on this board. I think Hades just refuses to look at reality.

I agree the mmo model is a legit model. It is required of you need to maintain a backend of any size to offer the game/service. Thats like dining out and not tipping if you got good service. Without the waitress/cooks you might as well stay home and eat.

Side note: I don't get the whole 'register under a new handle every other month' hobby many partake in here... hard to keep track who's who.

Edited by Rhomal

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Stop trying to pretend that you wear clothes.

I always tell my gf's.. clothes are over rated.

Back on topic... any artsy folks skilled in photoshop or the like? need a little help with creating a cool banner for my web site.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Hmmm is this the un-announced World of Darkness MMOG? :lol:

This is the big question.

And I predict the answer is "yes".

Cat is clearly now out of the bag.. so 'yes'. :lol:

www.wodonlinenews.net

Still under development, few days away from the site being finished but you can get the idea. I'll post again when the site opens officially.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I'm not going to comment on the banner picture and the lhs picture, since I'm pretty sure we won't see them at launch. Right? :lol:

The main area looks alright, gonna be interesting to see what the game is like.

I'm not going to comment on the banner picture and the lhs picture, since I'm pretty sure we won't see them at launch. Right? :lol:

The main area looks alright, gonna be interesting to see what the game is like.

Those are hopefully place holders.. I am looking to find a photoshop guru to help me out on this level, I am not so skilled in computer art sadly as you could tell.. if you know any please do send them my way!

Yes the concept sounds quite interesting and fail-proof, I would say 'how do you screw up a vampire MMORPG based on a solid game/mythos?' Then I think of conan and think... yes its possible. heh... But the redeeming element in this is White Wolf has a direct hand in its development. So thats a good sign. And make sure the fired project lead of the conan mmo does not get hired to the team.. that too.. :>

None the less thanks for the kind words, this time next week we should be firing all all cylinders on the site, hope you pop by often :lol:

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Isn't there a big risk this will just turn into World of Emocraft?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I suppose, but the same can be said of almost any game that just started production with little info released. However I have talked to one of their staff (who actually approached me about starting the site) and from the very limited info he could tell me I feel pretty good about the vibe I got. From the limited interviews made WW has a direct hand in this and to me that's reassuring. Plus the CCP folks who does eve online, they have the mmo experience. So combined I get the impression they will do a good job. Of course time will tell and I could be wrong. But I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, just like I did to Obsidian and nwn2 when the bio fanbois were all over me for jumping ship says nwn2 was going to 'suck'. I certainly don't regret the 3.5 yrs I spent on nwn2news nor the friendships I made at obs.. I certainly don't regret the game they put out. It was worth my invested time IMO. Point being, you never know and just go with your gut. ;)

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

'Harlequin Shadowlands'?

Only if people role-play, and you have to hold a gun to peoples heads to get them to RP in an MMORPG.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't think Age of Conan messed up the setting, in fact I think Tortage was a fantastic voyage through a Robert Howard story. I just think the game lost focus after that. Maybe they needed more time, or they needed to focus their efforts on less content.

'Harlequin Shadowlands'?

Only if people role-play, and you have to hold a gun to peoples heads to get them to RP in an MMORPG.

Clearly your experience and mine are very different. I found some great RP in AoC, nwn and UO. Of course you have to look around to find the right server, place but once you do theres usually a great rp community.

And its a little contradictory saying you shouldn't rp in a mmoRPG...

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I don't think Age of Conan messed up the setting, in fact I think Tortage was a fantastic voyage through a Robert Howard story. I just think the game lost focus after that. Maybe they needed more time, or they needed to focus their efforts on less content.

I agree the setting was quite nice and very respectful to conan lore and feel. Visually and atmosphere wise they did a great job. My issue was simply gameplay and as you stated how the game started to take a downturn on that level after lvl 20.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

rofl @ roleplay in an MMO

Sorry to hear you failed at your attempt at such. Does not mean however it can not happen and can not be of high quality. The RP I had in serpents Inn on the wiccana server in age of conan was fantastic. Many fantastic RPers on that server.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---