Prince of Persia is out

Calax

It's better on a console, I'm able to save wherever I want and it always comes back to that spot, and instead of tap e it's tap triangle, and in general the controls are extremely well designed.

What? Why would they have 'save where you are' on console but not PC?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

More endless tapping! I'm fighting the Warrior right now and to win I have to repeatedly click my right mouse button fast enough. I've played this eight times now, and can't get it right. Oh, boy! Isn't this fun?

And there's no way to remap buttons.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Told you it would suck on the PC. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Can you use a gamepad on the PC version? If you can then theres no point in shelling out for an inferior console version that doesnt render above 1280x720

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I find it very odd that you can't remap the keys in the new PoP. I mean, it's a standard option in any PC game, and it was possible to do it in all the previous games in the series. It would have to be a complete brain fart.

Edit: As I'm going to buy this, eventually, I did some checking and according to this you can remap the controls...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I find it very odd that you can't remap the keys in the new PoP. I mean, it's a standard option in any PC game, and it was possible to do it in all the previous games in the series. It would have to be a complete brain fart.

Edit: As I'm going to buy this, eventually, I did some checking and according to this you can remap the controls...

I already figured out how to do it. There's a 'settings' button on the launcher and an options button in-game that lets you remap the controls. I changed the attack button to F and managed to get through that portion.

Just got this on PC. No DRM what-so-ever = epic win

First of all, this game runs very well(30-40fps) with all settings on max and no Anti-Aliasing on my 2.66GHz AMD Opteron/2GB ram/Radeon x1950pro 1280x1024.

Secondly this game is PRETTY, not your average washed-out, bloom-riddled Fallout 3/GTA IV/Farcry 2 pretty, but pretty like a painting. I was surprised that my hardware could render something so pretty. It looks way better in action than on screenshots.

I have played a little of all the previous Prince of Persia games. Never finished any though... Sands of Time and Two Thrones were okay, but Warrior within was horrible with mouse/keyboard. I really love this one. The characters are really well written and believable, the story is okay and it plays well even with mouse and keyboard, not a big fan of gamepads on the PC.

The platforming is pretty fun and after an hour I can get the Prince to do what I want without failing too often. The camera doesn't get in the way most of the time, either. I have never been a huge fan of 3d platformers, so I love the Elika-chekpoint thing. I usually just give up if I have to single long part for more than four times. I don't think it makes the game too easy, it just lessens the frustration of redoing stuff.

The combat isn't that great, though. You have 3 different kinds of moves: sword, claw and magic(Elika) and block. You use those to make combos and beat down the enemies' health. You usually just fight big single boss-monsters. There is some variation though, some of them are immune to your attacks and need to be pushed off ledges etc.

I haven't seen any cutscenes that I though were too long or boring. The banter between the Prince and Elika is really charming, as well, it doesn't feel forced and is genuinely funny most of the time. I also really like the characters. The Prince is charming Scoundrel, not unlike Han Solo, who makes witty remarks. Elika is a sassy princess, who tries to fix the world, she is all business.

So don't listen to the haters, this is not a hardcore platformer, it is a beautiful story that includes platforming elements. I would compare it to World of Goo, which was not just a puzzle game, but also a charming experience. Or if you have seen it, Pushing Daisies, which even when the plot isn't that great, draws you in because of the beautiful world and charming characters.

PS. This is just a couple of hours in, I haven't completed it yet.

Edited by Purkake

Just got this on PC. No DRM what-so-ever = epic win

First of all, this game runs very well(30-40fps) with all settings on max and no Anti-Aliasing on my 2.66GHz AMD Opteron/2GB ram/Radeon x1950pro 1280x1024.

Secondly this game is PRETTY, not your average washed-out, bloom-riddled Fallout 3/GTA IV/Farcry 2 pretty, but pretty like a painting. I was surprised that my hardware could render something so pretty. It looks way better in action than on screenshots.

I have played a little of all the previous Prince of Persia games. Never finished any though... Sands of Time and Two Thrones were okay, but Warrior within was horrible with mouse/keyboard. I really love this one. The characters are really well written and believable, the story is okay and it plays well even with mouse and keyboard, not a big fan of gamepads on the PC.

The platforming is pretty fun and after an hour I can get the Prince to do what I want without failing too often. The camera doesn't get in the way most of the time, either. I have never been a huge fan of 3d platformers, so I love the Elika-chekpoint thing. I usually just give up if I have to single long part for more than four times. I don't think it makes the game too easy, it just lessens the frustration of redoing stuff.

The combat isn't that great, though. You have 3 different kinds of moves: sword, claw and magic(Elika) and block. You use those to make combos and beat down the enemies' health. You usually just fight big single boss-monsters. There is some variation though, some of them are immune to your attacks and need to be pushed off ledges etc.

I haven't seen any cutscenes that I though were too long or boring. The banter between the Prince and Elika is really charming, as well, it doesn't feel forced and is genuinely funny most of the time. I also really like the characters. The Prince is charming Scoundrel, not unlike Han Solo, who makes witty remarks. Elika is a sassy princess, who tries to fix the world, she is all business.

So don't listen to the haters, this is not a hardcore platformer, it is a beautiful story that includes platforming elements. I would compare it to World of Goo, which was not just a puzzle game, but also a charming experience. Or if you have seen it, Pushing Daisies, which even when the plot isn't that great, draws you in because of the beautiful world and charming characters.

PS. This is just a couple of hours in, I haven't completed it yet.

for combat I've found that the best combo is either acrobatic, sword, claw, acrobatic, magic, sword (in PS3 that's X, Square, Circle, X, Triange, Square)

or instead of acrobatic off the bat, magic magic claw

when on the ground the claw tosses people into the air and when in the air it does the exact opposite, I have found that most of the time I was fighting by the time I got halfway through a combo I'd reach the edge of the combat zone, or a wall, and the opponent would automatically appear behind me (sometimes with a tap square minigame)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Secondly this game is PRETTY, not your average washed-out, bloom-riddled Fallout 3/GTA IV/Farcry 2 pretty, but pretty like a painting.

It's beautiful. Fallout 3, GTA, and Farcry are not beautiful in the least.

So don't listen to the haters...

The.. h8ers? It's getting great reviews across the board.

So don't listen to the haters...

The.. h8ers? It's getting great reviews across the board.

There are a bunch of haters saying that the platforming isn't hardcore enough and that no death makes it too easy. And too be honest, almost all AAA games get great reviews across the board. Someone in one of the gaming podcasts was seriously h8ing on it.

Edited by Purkake

Unlike the previous PoP, I find it difficult to replay this game at all due to the lack of challenge and no difficulty modes I suppose.

In addition Its hard to enjoy the story as well since as the previous posters said, the storytelling is modular based on the map and the absence of linearity makes it very difficult to make sense of the relationsehip progress between the two protagonist. Its a terrible flaw design and it would be more ideal if the sequence of the bosses you battle with are linear, with each completion giving signs of progress in the character interaction from one of a stranger into a strong possiblity of a romantic partner. So in the story aspect, there truly is nothing to brag about it since at times, it just feels like there is a gap in between or doesn't make any sense at all.

However, the developers succeeded integrating an interesting and rich lore background of the world. The implementation is executed well with the talk button with the princess to those who are curious and remains purely optional to those who prefers no interruption in the flow of the gameplay.

Combatwise is simply as I said: a glamorous presentation of Rock, paper and scissors game. Want to know when the enemy is vulnerable to sword attack? The sword has a magical stain on it. The same goes to the claw which will glow and using magic when the enemy covers himself with shadows. Its easy since there is barely any tactical or complexity depth with such combat system which depends mostly on quick time events and there is only one enemy to focus on rather than be aware of the surroundings at all times.

Overall its not a bad game. Beautiful graphics and art direction, the expansion of a two protagonists idea from ICO. But its not a great game in the end and probably a weak PoP amongst the series.

In addition Its hard to enjoy the story as well since as the previous posters said, the storytelling is modular based on the map and the absence of linearity makes it very difficult to make sense of the relationsehip progress between the two protagonist. Its a terrible flaw design and it would be more ideal if the sequence of the bosses you battle with are linear, with each completion giving signs of progress in the character interaction from one of a stranger into a strong possiblity of a romantic partner. So in the story aspect, there truly is nothing to brag about it since at times, it just feels like there is a gap in between or doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm guessing that the best way to experience the story and see the romantic growth is to go Hunter, Warrior, Alchemist, and Concubine.

I noticed quite a bit of romantic dialog in the Concubine area, and the way you locate Elika in the Concubine final fight is a perfect climax to the burgeoning romance.

My best combo so far is sword, sword, sword, magic, sword, magic, gauntlet, magic, sword, magic, sword. I've only been able to do the entire thing twice because most badies hit the edge before I finish.

Does anyone else think Hunter, Warrior, Alchemist, and Concubine is the best order for the story? I figured I just go right to left (Hunter, Alchemist, Concubine, and Warrior). I wonder if any developer/writer at Ubisoft has weighed in on the 'prefered' order.

Personally I think that the Concubine was the only boss who sparked an interest in me (not only because she happened to have an interesting final boss fight, or at least one that wasn't just about killing). The warrior would have been a contender if something akin to his redemption had been made better told (Maybe with him actually showing how he looked originally or without the ambiguity between the characters after his defeat), or had the boss fight itself be more than just dodge, mash button four times in a row. The hunter wasn't really memorable, probably because he didn't speak or didn't even have any real gimmick to him. And the physician or whatever only stuck out because of the limited time bits.

All in all the writers at Ubi could have put ALOT more time and effort into making the bosses have more character, instead they just come off as bland as paste.

Personally I think that the Concubine was the only boss who sparked an interest in me (not only because she happened to have an interesting final boss fight, or at least one that wasn't just about killing). The warrior would have been a contender if something akin to his redemption had been made better told (Maybe with him actually showing how he looked originally or without the ambiguity between the characters after his defeat), or had the boss fight itself be more than just dodge, mash button four times in a row. The hunter wasn't really memorable, probably because he didn't speak or didn't even have any real gimmick to him. And the physician or whatever only stuck out because of the limited time bits.

All in all the writers at Ubi could have put ALOT more time and effort into making the bosses have more character, instead they just come off as bland as paste.

I haven't finished the game yet. I think that making interesting boss fights (both in mechanics and story) is something that very few games get right. Usually it just comes down to a normal fight with a ridiculously powerful bad guy (Baldur's Gate 2, Final Fantasy VII) or some kind of special made-for-boss system that works really badly because it is only used a couple of times.(older platformers, Beyond Good and Evil) Or they just resort to a really long QTE like in Two Thrones.

Hmm, maybe this could use its own thread...

EDIT: One game that really comes to mind here is Max Payne. The boss fights tried to be innovative, but in the end you either had to shoot the (normal human) boss character in the head a hundred times or do some really elaborate stuff like shoot the BOLTS! out of a chandelier to drop it on their head or shoot two cable anchors to make a TOWER! fall on a helicopter.

Edited by Purkake

Well generally in newer games the bosses had more of a personality than a basic backstory (told by another character rather than through exposition or learning by the main character no less) and four lines they like to repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game. At first I though the ending was going to suck, but then the REAL ending came and I loved it.

I really loved how they made you(the player) cut down all the trees and undo all your hard work instead of it just being a cutscene. I knew what it was going to do, but I wanted to do it anyway. Also, poor Elika, how can she live on knowing that both the Prince and his father did it all for her?

So go play it if you haven't already, it is worth it just for the story.

Edited by Purkake

I disliked the ending.

It was neat that they made you do it yourself, but when I still had a good 100 or so light seeds populating the levels out there that I hadn't already collected, it would have been nice to have an alternative to cutting down those trees.

Ran great on my computer. Was running it at 1920x1200 with all the settings on high and there was no noticeable slowdown in any of the areas. Absolutely gorgeous game. :down:

Edited by Deraldin

Didn't get it for Christmas, so once I'm back in school I'll just pop in the local game shop (which is actually a small business) and buy it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 1 month later...

The Prince sucked. He could have been replaced by a monkey with a big sword and add just as much emotional impact.

The Sands of Time was great because the Prince managed to utterly destroy what he loved through his arrogance. He matured as he accepted this, vowed to fix what he

Edited by Maria Caliban

The Prince sucked. He could have been replaced by a monkey with a big sword and add just as much emotional impact.

The Sands of Time was great because the Prince managed to utterly destroy what he loved through his arrogance. He matured as he accepted this, vowed to fix what he