Not Islam

Walsingham

We must all have read about the recent attacks in Mumbai. I was particularly struck by the mounting impression they give that radical Islamic terrorism is about as Islamic as bacon butties.

1) On hearing that the terrorists would be buried in Muslim burial areas, the local Muslim community asserted that the men and their behaviour was totally unIslamic. Marches were held to prevent the men being buried in the Muslim cemetery.

2) The men had been on a steroid training regime, and took drugs to get themselves in the right frame of mind and stay awake during the attacks.

It seems to me that one of the most crucial objectives of the terrorists is to brand themselves as Muslims so they can continue to recruit from that base. A real practical and effective thing we can all do to combat terrorism is to refuse to play along with their agenda.

Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not really terribly important what we think in the West. It's what they think in Kashmir, Pakistan and India that's important.

And unfortunately, we don't have much of a say in that. And unfortunately, Muslims don't do anywhere near as much as they could to stand up and denounce these type of people. It's usually a once-off tentative speech about how things like this are 'un-Islamic' and then nothing till the next attack where they do it all over again. They need to be actively campaigning in some capacity against terrorism, and aggressively teaching their youth the evils of it, instead of all too often silently and passively supporting it in the home or church as some sort of 'resistance fighting'.

I am rather disheartened though, when I see left-wing nutters in Australia, who support Hamas and Hezbollah through some twisted and misguided form of pity, who are claiming these attacks are a 'justified form of resistance against oppression'. Total arseholes.

That was a weird ****ing attack. Who ever heard of terrorists going in with automatics and mowing down people one by one.

What is this all about, Kashmir...

When I first head about it the Indian commissioner said 5000 casualties, surely it can't be anywhere near that much.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that somehow the terrorists wanted to provoke an Indian military incursion of some kind. Unless they are stupid enough to think that it would start a civil war inside India.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's not really terribly important what we think in the West. It's what they think in Kashmir, Pakistan and India that's important.

And unfortunately, we don't have much of a say in that. And unfortunately, Muslims don't do anywhere near as much as they could to stand up and denounce these type of people. It's usually a once-off tentative speech about how things like this are 'un-Islamic' and then nothing till the next attack where they do it all over again. They need to be actively campaigning in some capacity against terrorism, and aggressively teaching their youth the evils of it, instead of all too often silently and passively supporting it in the home or church as some sort of 'resistance fighting'.

Well said. I find Islam to be a beautiful religion, and I am impressed by the fact that many Muslims in my area are truly committed to the religion, unlike many of the one day a week Christians I know. But there needs to be a much stronger united movement to rid Islam of these radical groups, and it needs to be led by the millions of peaceful muslims in the world.

I find Islam to be a beautiful religion

:x>_<:x>_<:x

I should probably add that, as someone who studies and teaches History and world religion every day, I find most religions to be beautiful. I am fascinated by them all. That's why I enjoy my job.

I'm not committed to any specific religion myself though.

hey, i don't practice atheism only once a week. it is a daily, hourly, by the second belief that i firmly uphold. is that beautiful, too? >_<

btw, it is somewhat important what we think in the west (actually, outside of islamic centers) because you can never hope to combat an enemy you do not understand. that said, we spend far to much time harping on "islamic terrorists" when in fact, it is "radical islamic terrorists" that are distorting the koran to their warped belief system. radical factions do this with the bible as well. i agree that the islamacists should be campaigning against radicalism.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Islam is based on 5 pillars, none of which have anything to do with violence or suppression.

1. Declaring your faith in one God

2. Praying 5 times a day

3. Making a pilgrimage to Mecca

4. Charity, or sharing wealth with others

5. Fasting during Ramadan

There are extremists in every religion, though I have to wonder about Buddhist Extremists. *shudder*

I find these terrorists any more a representation of Islam as I see the likes of Rev. Phelps as a representation of Christianity. People have been using religion as an excuse and justification to engage in cruelty and violence to others for centuries and will do so for centuries to come. How we react to such acts will determine our worth. Do we condemn a whole group of people for the acts of a few, or do we, those who oppose such violence regardless of culture and religious beliefs, work together and overcome our prejudices to ensure those who wish to act such as this are stopped prior to any violence?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

And if religion doesn't stand in the way of people, they'll find other reasons to stab each other in the eyes.

Of course, it is all part of the self-destructive instinct all humans are born with. Some rise above it, others learn to live with it, while others, such as these terrorists, embrace it.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Yay Killian, did you engage in a rhetoric course? I find it beautifully phrased, but of course it's prone to seem too smooth for people who like to think reality is and always will be cruel - while they do all they can to keep it that way. Yes, I'm talking about you here, Morgoth. If you just accept violence and add your own prejudice to it, why would anything ever change? Might be of course you're comfortable with the situation.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well, I do have a degree in Literature and Creative Writing with an adjoining minor in Religious Studies. However, I am considering going back to school to gain a degree in something in one of the hard sciences or computer related.

isnt there some rule against being a racist deucebag

There is indeed. Sounds like somebody needs to take a break and relax.

Lets give this one a time out for a short moment...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ok, thread pruned. My apologies to those posters who meant well and lost posts as "collateral" damage.

Lets just repeat one important thing:

Discrimination: Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

Let's see if we can do this without me having to call in the firing squad?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Islam is based on 5 pillars, none of which have anything to do with violence or suppression.

1. Declaring your faith in one God

2. Praying 5 times a day

3. Making a pilgrimage to Mecca

4. Charity, or sharing wealth with others

5. Fasting during Ramadan

Does it really matter how many times a day you pray? Why pray 5 times a day? What if you only pray 4 times a day, does that make you a bad muslim? Who sets these arbitrary numbers anyway? :p