Does Obsidian make anything for non-window systems?

Solo

We only have DVD cases because the EU pased some law about software packaging. A rare example of them getting something right.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's great. Wish all countries would use less materials. Some items can't be helped like materials that include the paper manuals as in Lightwave and or Poser. But when the manuals are in PDF on the disk and or can be viewed on line then the packaging size can be reduced. Thus making more floor and shelf space.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

I buy all of my games online so I'm not that concerned about maximizing Gamestop's retail space. I miss big boxes. I want a big box. A BIG box. With a manual. And a comic book, a novella, a map, a fake newspaper, an in-jokey prop from the game, a quick reference card, and advertisements for Prodigy AND Compuserve. Sure they still sell them, but they cost $130, for what was once simply expected.

I'll agree that most modern mini-boxes are useless and could easily fit into a DVD case. The most recent exception I can think of is Tron 2.0; I got it last month and it still came with some goodies.

The Wolfire blog had some good arguments for porting to Mac and Linux, though most of them would involve designing your engine cross-platform from the get-go.

Edited by crakkie

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I can see your point there. But as long as they only put the bare amount of printed materials and nothing else then a thin case should be the step to take. The idea of adding maps and extra gaming materials would be great if one could role play such activities in a pencil and paper(old days of RPGing) and on their computer. Or how about a DM set that would help make the toolset more easy to work like a flow chart of what it is game world creating you want to do and then added in the game?

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here but could such a idea be possible?

Ranger Lord Solo

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself here but could such a idea be possible?

Anything is possible... probable is another matter.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

So is that a vote for yes or should I continue to hold my breath?

Wait! Holding my breath is still a good idea right?

Ranger Lord Solo

• 1 year later...
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

@pop

That may be true. Though it is a start and a welcome start. Once the Mac community can see that yes they are being put and brought into the picture then some of the other games should start to come over as well.

This could be a good time for the Linux community to watch and input as well. If the Mac sales do go well, Linux users should be able to lobby Steam to work with them too.

Ranger Lord Solo

Note that Steam and Source-based games being translated does not necessarily mean we'll see AP or other newer games ported.

What it means is that the tired argument that the Mac isn't financially viable as a game platform is baloney and can be put out to pasture permanently.

I know Obsidian probably still can't be bothered but meh.

Note that Steam and Source-based games being translated does not necessarily mean we'll see AP or other newer games ported.

It's still a start... Just imagine the possibilities.... Portal on my laptop... Its gonna be great...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

What it means is that the tired argument that the Mac isn't financially viable as a game platform is baloney and can be put out to pasture permanently.

I don't think that was ever really an argument. The argument was that Apple just didn't care about gaming, which was true. The official "gaming" department at Apple was something like 5 employees.

I'd take it you don't like any other games being available for other system other than Windows, pop?

Ranger Lord Solo

I don't think that was ever really an argument. The argument was that Apple just didn't care about gaming, which was true. The official "gaming" department at Apple was something like 5 employees.

Apple spent the past year and a half helping Valve to make sure OpenGL on Mac was up to scratch, and helping Valve port their games.

Apple spent the past year and a half helping Valve to make sure OpenGL on Mac was up to scratch, and helping Valve port their games.

Only took them, what, 10-12 years?

• 4 weeks later...

We've actually looked into options for Mac versions before. Even if it hasn't been a viable platform in the past, it sure could get that way.

We've actually looked into options for Mac versions before. Even if it hasn't been a viable platform in the past, it sure could get that way.

Indeed - I think Apple is gaining market share, so at some point it might reach a level at which it would be viable to make a port of many games. Also, the bigger the game (in terms of expected sales), the more viable a port becomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Apple has updated the Macbook Pro line with Core i5/i7 CPU's and the new video CPU the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. What are the thoughts of the Dev's and Programmers on this? Would this make the task a little easier if you all were to take on making games for the Mac? Again I'm saying doing something from scratch and not just porting over. The biggest hurdle that I know is the .NET vs OpenGL. Many of you may be too use to .NET and may find OpenGL old hat to you. But is it really old hat?

Ranger Lord Solo

Now that Apple has updated the Macbook Pro line with Core i5/i7 CPU's and the new video CPU the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. What are the thoughts of the Dev's and Programmers on this? Would this make the task a little easier if you all were to take on making games for the Mac? Again I'm saying doing something from scratch and not just porting over. The biggest hurdle that I know is the .NET vs OpenGL. Many of you may be too use to .NET and may find OpenGL old hat to you. But is it really old hat?

I just picked one of the new 15" MBPs up. They're sweet B). But they wouldn't really be any easier to develop for than any other generation of intel Mac.

.NET doesn't matter much for game code. It would just be a tools issue.

It's never been a question of difficulty, it's just a question of cost vs. reward. The market of additional people who would buy your game if you made it on Mac hasn't generally been large enough to justify the expense - but that changes as the market changes.

Thank you for your answer.

Now I know what you mean by the masses and markets. A strong demand and or numbers to support the work and effort of doing. Now, my little question is this.

If nobody really tries to do anything like make tools to build like the PC and the game it self to run well on other non Win systems. How is the market going to expand and or grow then?

Ranger Lord Solo

Thank you for your answer.

Now I know what you mean by the masses and markets. A strong demand and or numbers to support the work and effort of doing. Now, my little question is this.

If nobody really tries to do anything like make tools to build like the PC and the game it self to run well on other non Win systems. How is the market going to expand and or grow then?

The iPhone didn't start as a gaming platform, but it's become one pretty handily. The PC didn't start as a gaming platform either.

The Mac as a gaming platform will be successful alongside the Mac as a general computing platform.

The exception that you might cite for this is gaming consoles, but in those cases the first parties put a lot of money into developing killer games for their platforms to build the market and support the platform. Apple hasn't done this for gaming with the Mac (and they didn't *really* do it on the iPhone until the last couple OS releases with some new gaming focused features and the new Game Center in OS4). The iPhone became a successful gaming platform because it was a really good phone and people bought it for that.