What kind of future settings is Obsidian planning?

Winterwolf

Elves with shotguns? ugh...just ugh.

Clearly you never played shadowrun and do not know the goodness it holds. Vastly more then yet another steampunk setting.

Clearly i didnt.

Ive gone and read wiki article about it. At first i thought they did it at least somewhat smartly when they mentioned that after magic came back humans changed into other races intentionally... or so it seemed in the first line explaining it.

But then down in explanation of races it states that humans started having elf, orc, troll and whatnot babies - just because.

I see magic is used there as an excuse for stupidity of unimaginable level.

Was it such a big problem just to say that humans changed their looks and then even DNA later on to pass those traits to offspring - because of these fantasy archetypes we all have and know. (Even then i cannot imagine who would want to be a orc or a troll all their lives).

Im sure it provided excellent gameplay and whatever but having such a silly lore is impossible for me to tolerate due to my Tolkien origins.

Its not only a blatant ripoff, but its appalling low quality and outright stupidity are worse then rubbing salt directly on a wound.

On book licenses(and I love Herbert and Erikson, reading Deathhouse Gates and Heretics right now), it's something that usually starts with the one holding the rights, not the developer. So there would have to be interest from the other end first. Though I can imagine both Erikson and Esslemont(who hold the ip) having some interest on making a Malazan game. They have their own rpg afterall, made from the ground up during their free time.

As for Shadowrun being a blatant Tolkien rip-off, feck off. I don't like the setting myself, but it's pretty one-sided to shout out "rip-off" with such a malleable genre where all influences go back and forth. I mean, Tolkien didn't invent elves, nor fantasy. And just as well, there are far worse rips in the genre, like that Shannara travesty.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, I kinda wish that one unnamed project had come to something, since there was every inclination that it would be another original ip.

Correct me if that became AP.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I keep reading this as "Elvis with a shotgun" for some reason.

Which gives me this bizarre idea of playing dead pop-culture stars who die and wake up in a bizarre purgatory where they have to arm themselves and fight for a place in heaven.

It could never happen due to licensing of stars images, but man does it kinda freaks me out. :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I keep reading this as "Elvis with a shotgun" for some reason.

Which gives me this bizarre idea of playing dead pop-culture stars who die and wake up in a bizarre purgatory where they have to arm themselves and fight for a place in heaven.

It could never happen due to licensing of stars images, but man does it kinda freaks me out. :)

That is an awesome idea. Kind of like a mix of Unreal Tournament, Celebrity Deathmatch and SingStar Pop Hits.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

> Clearly i didnt.

And you feel qualified to make a assessment, ok then.

> Ive gone and read wiki article about it. At first i thought they did it at least somewhat smartly when they mentioned that after magic came back humans changed into other races intentionally... or so it seemed in the first line explaining it. But then down in explanation of races it states that humans started having elf, orc, troll and whatnot babies - just because. I see magic is used there as an excuse for stupidity of unimaginable level.

There is 'stupidity', or closer to ignorance, here in this thread but not with SR. If you did a little more research then one wiki article you would see when FASA put out SR it predates their D&D type setting Earthdawn yet in the game world they were linked. The concept was many of the mythical creatures over evolution took on more mundane forms as magic waned in the world and that aspect of their dna went into hibernation per se. Until 2012 or so when magic then re-awoke and came back to the world. That set off a chain reaction the sparked all the latent dna and hence why 10% of the worlds population 'goblinized' into elf, dwarf, ork or trolls. (and with other expansions other type pf mythical creatures like minotaurs). As to why some families of one race had another races children, when you are dealing with dna it can happen. Whos to say a few eons ago in that bloodline a elf didn't mate with someone or the like. I really don't see the the failed logic here.

> Im sure it provided excellent gameplay and whatever but having such a silly lore is impossible for me to tolerate due to my Tolkien origins.

Oh please like he never 'borrowed' anything from other sources. Get off the JRR elitist bus. If that's your stance you must HATE the forgotten realms setting. It is nothing but ripoff after ripoff from a handful of sources with very little originality.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I think it would be cool to see a BPRD RPG. Or even better, get the rights to BPRD and Atomic Robo and cross them over.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In spirit of alternative history, I'd actually want to see the Transformers "what if" scenario during the late WW2 come into games. That was brilliantly geeky.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

In spirit of alternative history, I'd actually want to see the Transformers "what if" scenario during the late WW2 come into games. That was brilliantly geeky.

Or the Hearts of Steel one, where they landed in the 1800s and took the form of steam engines and DaVinci esque flying machines.

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/images/shockwave.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/ng...el_Megatron.jpg

http://www.cyberfembot.com/CustomToys/FrontPage/RED_01.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transfor...of_Steel_2b.jpg

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sorry if this has already been said guys

But how about a more contemporary setting? The slums of bombay, the streets of baltimore, the favellas of Brazil. Film and TV dont restrict themselves to elves and aliens so i dont see why games should, Alpha Protocol is a rare exception

I'd like to see something is not necessary or does not make up the bulk of gameplay. Think of games like Elite or Thief

Imagine an RPG where the fun was in political manouvering, diplomacy, trade

Or the Hearts of Steel one, where they landed in the 1800s and took the form of steam engines and DaVinci esque flying machines.

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/images/shockwave.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x112/ng...el_Megatron.jpg

http://www.cyberfembot.com/CustomToys/FrontPage/RED_01.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transfor...of_Steel_2b.jpg

Those look a bit less inspired than the WW2 ones, but it's a cool concept nevertheless.

kirottu said:

Sorry if this has already been said guys

But how about a more contemporary setting? The slums of bombay, the streets of baltimore, the favellas of Brazil. Film and TV dont restrict themselves to elves and aliens so i dont see why games should, Alpha Protocol is a rare exception

I'd like to see something is not necessary or does not make up the bulk of gameplay. Think of games like Elite or Thief

Imagine an RPG where the fun was in political manouvering, diplomacy, trade

Hence the BPRD setting. Hunting monsters and such for the US government in modern times sounds good to me. Set it up so you can leave and go freelance so its not so restrictive, or try to snag the rights for Atomic Robo as well and cross them over, working with him fighting wierd science stuff as well.

Those look a bit less inspired than the WW2 ones, but it's a cool concept nevertheless.

The WW2 ones had a better art team.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
And you feel qualified to make a assessment, ok then.

I was just letting you know how much detailed knowledge i have about it and on what info i am making judgment.

There is 'stupidity', or closer to ignorance, here in this thread but not with SR. If you did a little more research then one wiki article you would see when FASA put out SR it predates their D&D type setting Earthdawn yet in the game world they were linked. The concept was many of the mythical creatures over evolution took on more mundane forms as magic waned in the world and that aspect of their dna went into hibernation per se. Until 2012 or so when magic then re-awoke and came back to the world. That set off a chain reaction the sparked all the latent dna and hence why 10% of the worlds population 'goblinized' into elf, dwarf, ork or trolls. (and with other expansions other type pf mythical creatures like minotaurs). As to why some families of one race had another races children, when you are dealing with dna it can happen. Whos to say a few eons ago in that bloodline a elf didn't mate with someone or the like. I really don't see the the failed logic here.

Thats "unimaginable" stupidity if i ever saw one.

Oh please like he never 'borrowed' anything from other sources. Get off the JRR elitist bus. If that's your stance you must HATE the forgotten realms setting. It is nothing but ripoff after ripoff from a handful of sources with very little originality.

He was inspired by various Nordic myths and sagas but he took care to make sense in his imagined world while he never just blatantly stole or ripped off ideas and concepts belonging to others with intent to transform them intentionally into silly massmarket nonsensical piles of dung.

Im not elitist... its just that im handsome. :lol:

and i drive a ferrari, not a bus. :)

WE HAVE A FIRE

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

*looks left*... *looks right*...

Looks like the original topic has evapourated a bit.

This sounds more like stuff for C&C so I closing it for now.

Feel free to create a new thread when new ideas pop up :)

:(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein