What kind of future settings is Obsidian planning?

Winterwolf

MGP6118_500.jpeg(sorry, Paizo)

CthulhuTech

A friend called it "fighting Migos with mechas", and honestly, there's nothing I want to add to that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

eh... Monty, isnt there anything that can be done about poor Purgatorio boards?

Its really a shame to see them in such a sad state as they are now.

That is one future setting that needs some attention.

It's nearing the top of my list of things to do (getting the new guys on the purgatorio team some support from my end) -- it's been an insanely busy 6 months.

Thanks for the awesome avatar Jorian!

I personally think a low-fantasy/horror (possibly World of Darkness) game set in 16th-18th century would be cool. Many cool ideas at the time, lots of beautiful architecture and scenery to borrow from. I'd love to see a game which begins with subtle court intrigues, and a mysterious murder of a marquis at a ball rather than "here is a dagger, kill 5 rats".

One example to take inspiration from could be this film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_the_Wolf

Probably not a recipe for a box office hit, but one can dream...

:)

Also, in the latest version of World of Darkness, I find the Werewolf:Forsaken imagery the most powerful. A urban noir horror game based in that world, where combat is turned based squad tactics would be great. The game could start with you discovering your werewolf heritage and being recruited into a low-ranking pack. You are given a small, mostly worthless territory by your mentors, an alpha pack. You police the spirit world, defend your territory against other WoD horrors, find a totem spirit, etc, and then the real plot begins when all hell breaks loose and you are forced to flee as the alpha pack is wiped out by.... something.

More World of Darkness. Steampunk, Arcanum style would be good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Well - and whats so important about switching the setting around ? I like to have a wide variety of locations and an ambundance of classes and character customization. Such things are best in classic fantasy games. I dont oppose other settings if they have the same, but typically they are much simpler than the classic stuff. Yeah its nice for a change, but its not nice on the long run.

For example, KotoR1 had the ambundance of, gasp, the unbelievable ambundance of 3 classes for each non-jedi and jedi. Both 3 classes where more or less the classic fighter, rogue and wizard.

But KotoR2 then was already SO much better. As we now got 6 more PrCs, three for each light and dark jedi, again following the good old fighter, rogue and wizard scheme. Whow ! The possibilities ! Whow !

Thats why I prefer classic fantasy. Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, yes, but also Paladin, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Warriormonk, and many many many others.

Even "simple" classic fantasy games give you a lot more options than typical RPGs of other types. For example, the (in)famous MMO World of Warcraft gives you currently Warrior, Rogue, Priest, Mage, Paladin, Hunter, Druid, Shaman, Warlock, Deathknight, a total of 10 choices. No Bards, no Monks, no Necromancers etc, but still already a long list of possibilities, plus each of these classes can be configured into ca three different specializations.

Or Lineage 2 with a ton of classes. Like Paladin, Dark Avenger, Gladiator, Treasure Hunter, Hawkeye, Sorcerer, Necromancer, Warlock, Bishop, Prophet, Swordsinger, Elven Elder, Bladesinger, Spellhowler, Shillien Elder, Destroyer, Tyrant, Overlord, Warcryer, Bounty Hunter, Warsmith, and many more. Granted, many classes there are just racial variants of the same concept, like Hawkeye, Silver Ranger, and Phantom Ranger, which are all variants of the Archer or Ranger, but still L2 offers a large variety of such concepts.

A typical RPG from a different kind, like Vampire: Bloodlines, only came with seven different clans, and that was already an extraordinarily ambundant selection.

Thats why I prefer classic fantasy. Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, yes, but also Paladin, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Warriormonk, and many many many others.

It's just that Paladins, Rangers and Warriormonks are basically fighters, while Bards and Clerics are essentially wizards. I'm not saying variation is a bad thing, but there is nothing hindering such variation in games outside of the fantasy genre.

How many classes were there in Mass Effect again?

How about a Jesus game? I think that's an underexplored market for gaming.

Too controversial?

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Give it another millenium.

In the meantime give me a goddamn steampunk RPG.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Die Hard RPG?

Am I the only who thinks this could be awesome?

I suspect that I'm biased*, and i don't see how this would be far different from Alpha Protocol.

* I was seriously considering getting a tattoo on my chest that reads "Now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho." at the weekend.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Too controversial?

The fictional character in the bible version or the real historical version?

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Too controversial?

Mel Gibson version.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Too controversial?

Mel Gibson version.

huh... that may be a potential hit... perhaps toss in a little passion of the christ action too...

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I can see such a game for me... You are the son of a god, the chosen one. You have to gather party members and solve quests, provide healing, leadership using dimplomacy skills, slowly rising to a position of all powerful being. At the end of the journey, you have to chose, do you want to ascend to godhood and leave your partymembers and love affair behind or do you chose to stay mortal and roam the surface of Faerun the world until the end of your natural lifespan? >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And we could have whipping mini-game!

Thieves World game.

Awesomness

That is an exciting idea.

Personally though, I'd like to see some new settings. I would like the game designers to just choose their favourite pieces of art, mix them together, let their imagination flow, and create a RPG out of it all. Maybe I'm an insane artist, but I really don't understand why developers always choose to base their RPGs on the same ****ing generic fantasy/scifi worlds.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Have I mentioned Steampunk yet?

Thieves World game.

Awesomness

Man, 80 years of speculative fiction and fantasy and everyone is still redoing the "dirty urban megalopolis with scoundrels"-motif.

One, two and one, two, three, four...Gormenghast, Llankhmar, Ankh-Morpork, City, Absalon...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds