What kind of future settings is Obsidian planning?

Winterwolf

To my knowledge, he only does the movies. He receives money for everything everyone else does, but you would too if you made some movies and people made things with your movies name on it. I don't think he has anything to do with the games, books, etc. If That's what you call milking the franchise, Then I guess I just dont understand.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

And you don't think hes milking the movies (both live action and animated?) Did we REALLY need the clone wars animated film that just came out a few months ago? You don't call that milking? What next, a animated film of yoda's youth?

Also lucas arts had produced many of the SW games and cartoons not just leased the license.

Sorry but hes just about sucking in the fans with poor quality merchandise as he cares little about the product anymore (as the last 3 live action films show or, obsidian/bioware aside, pc games have shown) just the almighty $. Not that I am against making money. So are all folks like that, and thats not the issue I have.

Its hes the opposite of say Ron D. Moore or the writers for obsidian, sure they want to make a $ but they also care about the quality of their writing and product. In fact in his podcasts RDM rips himself apart when a script or finished product in his eyes fails as he has a 'buck stops here' attitude.

Lucas OTOH couldn't care less it seems about quality, just quantity. Hence why I say hes milking it and, IMO, making all the SW fans out to be, in the end, suckers.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

George Lucas isn't Lucasarts. Just because Lucasarts does something doesn't make George Lucas directly responsible. And there're lots of things people don't REALLY need, but they have them anyway.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

George Lucas isn't Lucasarts. Just because Lucasarts does something doesn't make George Lucas directly responsible. And there're lots of things people don't REALLY need, but they have them anyway.

err, you do know who owns and in the end runs LUCAS arts right? That's like saying he has nothing to do with his film production studio or his ranch where all the FX is done.

That aside I see nothing to rebut anything I said about him other then splitting hairs.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Surely, if Obsidian got an SW thingy their natural awesomeness would overpower the bearded freakchild that is George Lucas? Feargus would stare him down while Mr Sawyer snuck up behind him with a croquet mallet.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I would love to do a cyberpunk/Shadowrun style of game... or World of Darkness :sorcerer:

I think with our preference for darker storylines, we could do well with these.

Then get to it!

Just make sure you implement a Jagged Alliance style combat engine. It's the key component, particularly if you do a Shadowrun game. Trust me.

To my knowledge, he only does the movies. He receives money for everything everyone else does, but you would too if you made some movies and people made things with your movies name on it. I don't think he has anything to do with the games, books, etc. If That's what you call milking the franchise, Then I guess I just dont understand.

From what I've heard, he's involved in most high-level decisions, regardless of media. E.g. he signed off on the death of Chewbacca, was heavily involved in the Shadow of the Empire experiment (I believe there was even scuttlebutt about turning it into a movie of its own at some point), and I'm sure he was involved in the Force Unleashed plotline, etc., etc.

I'm guessing he still cringes at the thought of the Holiday Special and doesn't want a repeat of that. I doubt he analyzes every single joint of every single action figure, but he's definitely involved with the franchise's important direction decisions.

Matthew Rorie

I would love to do a cyberpunk/Shadowrun style of game... or World of Darkness :ermm:

I think with our preference for darker storylines, we could do well with these.

*waves to Rob* Long time no chat! :)

I would LOVE you (both 'you' as in YOU specificly and obsid as a whole) to take on either of these products. I think obsid and a dark, mature setting go natually hand in hand. You have, IMO, some of the best producers and writers for PC games currently. And if you could some how wiggle getting the SR or WoD lic that would be amazing.

I know I'd be first in line to buy it! Sorry to gush like a fan boy but after my expose to obsid via nwn2news I certainly hold obsid, (and you specificly among several others) in high regard.

If you have the time to reply, off the top of your head what kind of idea generally would you be interested in persuing for SR or WoD story wise?

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Come on.

Steampunk. You know you want to. So underused! Pull the art deco with style and any studio can get famous with it!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

err, you do know who owns and in the end runs LUCAS arts right? That's like saying he has nothing to do with his film production studio or his ranch where all the FX is done.

That aside I see nothing to rebut anything I said about him other then splitting hairs.

Lucas doesn't run LucasArts, never has, never will. He doesn't decide what LucasArts is doing, he doesn't decide what Skywalker Sound is doing, he doesn't decide what ILM is doing. They all have their own management, which is controlled by another management that oversees all divisions. They come in handy when he is doing a movie or tv-show, but apart from using them for his own projects, he doesn't tell them what to do.

As long as they do their job, Lucas doesn't get involved. He's a film-maker, and that's more than enough work. Now and then he gets involved a bit in story-details, but that's only true for important decisions in regard to Star Wars, all the rest is controlled by some guys at Lucas licensing.

As for milking the franchise; it's hardly his fault that people are interested in Star Wars. No company in the world acts any differently. You certainly don't see Marvel stop their comic-franchises just for the heck of it.

I'm telling you, man. World of Darkness, Victorian Hindu Kush setting as above. Steampunk stylings. TREMERE QUEEN VICTORIA. :ermm:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Altered carbon could do the trick.

Nice opportunities could arise from using sleeves. For gameplay and some philosophical themes.

And its simple enough to lend itself well to usual simplistic game design mass market is used to. Actiony too.

If i could have it my way i would rather see games based in Culture universe, or Xelee Sequence by Stephen Baxter, Bears Blood music or, Eon or "The Scar" then some uber boring cliche fantasy steampunk crap.

Altered carbon could do the trick.

Nice opportunities could arise from using sleeves. For gameplay and some philosophical themes.

And its simple enough to lend itself well to usual simplistic game design mass market is used to. Actiony too.

If i could have it my way i would rather see games based in Culture universe, or Xelee Sequence by Stephen Baxter, Bears Blood music or, Eon or "The Scar" then some uber boring cliche fantasy steampunk crap.

Hold on, hold on. Possibly better question: what generic qualities make a successful setting?

-Elwood Blues

I dont think so.

thing is, if you look at things that way then youll end up setting up same mechanics and gameplay we have all seen too many times already with, possibly, some smaller differences but nothing really different.

If you have enough courage (how idealistic of me) to try and really flesh out the particular setting (instead of just using it as a cover story for more sameold sameold) you will end up creating new mechanics to support it.

And im not talking about following a specific story to the letter. I believe all settings i suggested are big and wide enough to allow creating supplementing stories and characters with a lot of non linear C&C story development.

Die Hard RPG?

Am I the only who thinks this could be awesome?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

As for milking the franchise; it's hardly his fault that people are interested in Star Wars. No company in the world acts any differently. You certainly don't see Marvel stop their comic-franchises just for the heck of it.

Matthew already addressed where lucas is deeply involved with his studios.

As for what I quoted, you clearly skipped over the part where I said it isn't the making money I have a issue with its the quality vs quantity aspect of his offerings for the past 10 yrs. And if you tell me the last 3 live action films were high quality (story, writing, directing & acting wise) then we'll agree to disagree.

Please go back and re-read what I posted as apparently you chose not to read it in full (or have selective memory).

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---