What kind of future settings is Obsidian planning?

Winterwolf

http://www.smithandtinker.com/news/

I can only hope that something actually comes out of this, as there hasn't been any updates in quite some time. Still, I would have liked to see Obsidian get a crack at it.

I read that David Gaider is a huge Shadowrun fan but that he has pretty much no say in what projects Bioware takes or else Shadowrun would have been made already. Which made me wonder what if any input or influence Obs devs have in what projects Obsidian takes on. Is it just passed down from the top? IS it discussed with the senior members of the company or anything?

Edited by ambrosexavier

Like you would know anything about penetrating on a daily basis.

But I find intriguing how WW2 is largely neglected as a setting for a proper role-playing game. Arguably, most settings for cPRGs are in one way or another based on Tolkien's stuff, which were inspired by the world wars. Orc forces mobilizing for war, large exodus, "a war to end all wars"...

That was World War I.

If there'll ever be a Shadowrun RPG, it has to go through MS, which means Xbox 360 exclusive.

I think you mean

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Indeed. Because ME was owned by Bioware.

But we won't see a Halo 3, Halo Wars, Gears of War 2 and possibly Fable 2 on PC as well. I mean there was Halo 2 and that horrible Shadowrun FPS that were released on the PC, but those were butchered afterthoughts to only cash in for their Vista promotion. Shows how much MS is dedicated to PC games.

D&D 4th edition game please! This systems begs for a computer game. Thw 4th edition Realms seem refreshed, so they could be a good setting.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series were true gems. I miss those times. NWN 2 is quite a good game (MotB has a decent story!), so why not make more typical fantasy RPGs? They work for me.

D&D 4th edition game please! This systems begs for a computer game. Thw 4th edition Realms seem refreshed, so they could be a good setting.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series were true gems. I miss those times. NWN 2 is quite a good game (MotB has a decent story!), so why not make more typical fantasy RPGs? They work for me.

I don't doubt the effort put in the games based on the Realms, MotB's story was more than 'decent' for me, and though I really like the fantasy setting, deviating from the 'norm' isn't such a bad thing. DragonAge will be out soon, so that should keep you, me and the modding community occupied for a while.

Though Shadowrun and Arcanum both have the a lot of fantasy elements: magic, typical fantasy setting races etc. seem to be quite welcome to those who wish something more than just fantasy for the sole reason that they do not take place in a medieval setting, but for that exact reason is hated by the pure fantasy setting fans.

As far as 4E D&D goes, I think it screams for a MMORPG. It doesn't give me the same feel as when I played any previous edition of the game, it's way too much based on action and it looks to me like a typical MMO setting. Then again, it's just my opinion and not a fact.

It seems to me like '09 has the worst 360 lineup yet, like they rested too much on the laurels of success of previous years to be bothered seriously with it. If one thing, it seems to be the PC's year. In MS' shoes, I think that it's time they started taking advantage of the franchises they bought, such as Shadowrun, only done in a responsible manner this time. It's up to Obs to make a bid and see if they can take the job and make the game, be it for 360 or Windows Live or both platforms.

Uh no. You lose big time. No 4th ed games ever.

Vampire Requiem and Steampunk FTW.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

http://www.smithandtinker.com/news/

I can only hope that something actually comes out of this, as there hasn't been any updates in quite some time. Still, I would have liked to see Obsidian get a crack at it.

I read that David Gaider is a huge Shadowrun fan but that he has pretty much no say in what projects Bioware takes or else Shadowrun would have been made already. Which made me wonder what if any input or influence Obs devs have in what projects Obsidian takes on. Is it just passed down from the top? IS it discussed with the senior members of the company or anything?

ahh yes I forgot about that site. Rumor mill has it they are working on a SR CRPG or MMO. But its been so long since that site went live you'd think they would have said SOMETHING by now. Unless its in dev hell ie changing the rendering engine 3 or 4 times along with most of the dev team such as duke nuke em.

Even the WoD MMO is 2-3 more yrs away and those devs are talking about it in bits here and there and both projects started around the same time. Unless they are treating it like fort knox *shrugs*

The thing about bio is it merged then got bought out. So I am not sure how much autoimmunity it has anymore to make big calls like that. If I was to guess, its limited. There are at least 1 if not 2 mgt levels above ray and greg now who can call the shots who are, IMO reduced to middle mgt now. Sure they put on a front of how 'little has changed' but you hear that EVERY time a studio gets bought out and in the long term what happens more times then not? Bullfrog is the first to come to mind as the poster child of when studio buyouts go bad, many dozen or two others as well over the past decade.

Point being while I respect DG for being a SR fan I think a. if bio did do it, it would be a mostly cookie cutter story, typical bio plot and b. even if they promised the stars of such a CRPG I simply don't think they have the independence anymore to go after such without serious convincing the 'new' powers that be.

On a side note, as for DA the key word about the story is they are ATTEMPTING to go for a dark, mature story. *IF* they deliver is completely different as neither you or I can say as fact until the game is released. But if they continue their trend I have my doubts but would like to be surprised. Either way until I see something convincing and not base my opinion on little snippets of a unreleased game, I wouldn't want bio to touch SR for now.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I understand those who are keen on Shadowrun, Steampunkt etc., but these are, unfortunately, niche settings. A developer studio needs money, so a popular setting is a natural choice. It may be not particaulrly ambitious, but in recent times being a risk-taker may not pay off.

Yep, MothB story was 'more than decent'! ;)

As far as a D&D MMORPG is concerned. I doubt anything can beat WoW. Too many MMORPG treid, and failed. D&D would do no better. :/

As far as a D&D MMORPG is concerned. I doubt anything can beat WoW. Too many MMORPG treid, and failed. D&D would do no better. :/

One already exists... http://www.ddo.com/

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

One already exists... http://www.ddo.com/

I've played it and I honestly didn't like it much but I do love LotRO which is also from Turbine. However, I do like most D&D settings over Lord of the Rings though, so go figure...

I do understand that Shadowrun isn't all that well known but I do think that it is one of the better settings that I have ever come across. I do doubt that I will ever actually get another Shadowrun game and especially one as good or better than the Sega or SNES versions but man that would be sweet. So much so that I would kill a hobo with a hammer for one.... and by hobo I mean kitten and by kill I mean pet and by a hammer I really mean my hand.

Edited by ambrosexavier

Vampire Requiem ... FTW.

Will you have my children?

Or at the very least wild vampire sex with me.. because you, basicaly, rule...

*blink*

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Just Steampunk please.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Of course I rule.

Obs can do a Star Wars steampunk game.

ok sweety now you are loosing me... star wars...? *burp*

Excuse me... I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

You got something against Star Wars?

Aside from the fact its a a bunch of stereotypical archetypes with pretty window dressing at the core, a pretty avarge quality sci-fi story, no not really. Plus the way hes milking the franchise and the sucke... ermmm fans eat it up which just finances more of his poor story telling amazes me. IMO vicious cycle.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

If it wasn't for Star Wars, Obsidian wouldn't exist. Kotor 2 put Obsidian on the gaming map.

True however this implies I have to love or even like SW somehow? Glad it got obsidian off the ground, just despise the franchise myself.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Are you talking about George Lucas? How does he milk the franchise?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Are you talking about George Lucas? How does he milk the franchise?

You are being sarcastic right? :o

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---