What kind of future settings is Obsidian planning?

Winterwolf

What kind? I know about Alpha Protocol and Aliens being in development. But I'm asking about future possible settings. I mean, giving out vague one-word answers like "steampunk" or "mayan/aztec fantasy" or "purple space ninja bunny pirates" is not like really breaking any contract terms, or is it? Just a hint, please.

Edited by Winterwolf

Enough with the dancing clown.

*gets on his knees and begs*

Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG - Come on guys, steampunk is so underused!

... on second thought, cyberpunk would work too. Steampunk is better, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The forgotten realms! :lol: What else?

Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, White Wolf, Arcanum (Troika's), Battletech, Heavy Gear, Call of Cthulhu ect.

So many materials out there. If Obsidian managed to grow balls of brass after the release of AP and Aliens, they could look back to review one of the highly hyped but dropped IP during the Black Isle days: Torn.

The forgotten realms! :lol: What else?

Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, White Wolf, Arcanum (Troika's), Battletech, Heavy Gear, Call of Cthulhu ect.

So many materials out there. If Obsidian managed to grow balls of brass after the release of AP and Aliens, they could look back to review one of the highly hyped but dropped IP during the Black Isle days: Torn.

I don't know Heavy Gear and Arcanum wasn't really my cup of tea from it's description (I am not a steampunk fan), but the rest would make for a nice change. I am still dying of curiosity about what the project (insert state name) was that made an appearance as a forum section and then disappeared again was.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

*gets on his knees and begs*

Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG Steampunk RPG - Come on guys, steampunk is so underused!

... on second thought, cyberpunk would work too. Steampunk is better, though.

Another vote for steampunk. Arcanum would have been the best game ever if it wasn't for the terrible graphics, combat, and stat system.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

But true steampunk shouldnt have crap like magic and elves in it. It should be Jules Verne all the way! Woo!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

At first I want to say that I am really glad that Obsidian has so much variety in the RPG themes they offer us (Star wars, Dungeon & Dragon, Modern days (AP), Sci-fi horror (aliens) ...)

I have really high hopes for their future projects regardless of the settings, but if it was my choice I would vote for one of those (in no particular order) :

- Lovecraftish 1920 setting

- Steampunk (without elves or dwarves)

- World of Darkness (Bloodlines 2 anyone ? :D)

- something like "the dark tower" universe, modern days mixed with parallel universes with a western/horror touch.

- Mature setting during the 1930 great recession with a touch of sci-fi/fantasy (like in the tv show : Carniv

Edited by Mime

Michel Koch - freelance concept artist and illustrator

My illustrator/concept artist Portfolio

We never knew a whole lot about that game, other than it would use the special system in the fantasy milieu. Which, if you look at another game of their's, Lionheart, wasn't necessarily a good thing. And the Torn lead design from that period, Maldanodo, isn't even with Obsidian... one assumes he took alot of the ideas for that setting with him.

If fact, that they put time/resources into games like Torn and Icewind Dale2(a weird semi-3e game) while leaving fallout3 on the back burner (a huge cash cow), has proved to be one the great gaffes in crpg development history. No, better to leave Torn in the past...

Mid 90's pnp rpg Castle Falkenstien had to have been a big inspiration behind arcanum.... it's very similar artistically and thematically.

Edited by Stephen Amber

I would not mind a WW2 RPG, strangely. That would be almost as new as a proper Steampunk RPG.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I think it would be preferable if another WW2 game is made a generation later.

For the past few years, I think most of the people are getting weary of WW2 games as a setting. The interest for WW2 games had been low for the past few years since the release of Saving Private Ryan movie being sole responsible for the surge of WW2 interest. Hence why Call of Duty 4's setting is a sudden jump towards modern military times to cater people's dulled taste for WW2 games.

Another setting that I would be interested in being explored would be a modern fantasy setting similarly to the manga Hellsing. Playing as an organisation formed with the purpose of killing undead or supernaturals opens up possibilities of introducing strange characters or fantasy creatures struggling in the ever changing of our modern world while at the same time keeping their presence a secret.

Personally I thought the thought of female hot elves dressed in a SWAT gear/Trenchcoats armed with sniper rifles shooting silver bullets blessed with holy water instead of bows presents a far more... sexier picture. :thumbsup:

The forgotten realms! >_

If we're flinging about existing RPG IPs for setting, I'd dig a good Deadlands game.

But really, I don't care so much about the setting than that its a good game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How about the 1700-1800's?

Apparently Assassin's Creed takes place in that timezone. And pirates are pretty awesome.

Atari recently announced that BGIII is under development. When gamespot asked Obs they made no comment, didn't confirm but didn't deny it either. We know Obs are working on another project that they haven't yet announced. Hmmmm, I wonder what THAT could be ...

If they had denied it, it would mean just that, no reason to hold it back. No comment means Yeah, we're on it, we're just not showing something yet. We'll show it WHEN IT'S DONE!

In other words, F**K YEAH!

I really wish that Obs would get the rights to make a Shadow Run sequel in the future, that has nothing to do with the XBOX360 game and everything to do with the SNES game. It was a great console RPG with a great setting. You can say it's a bit of a watered down version of Arcanum set in a Cyberpunk future, but the atmosphere was great with elements of a film noir. I wonder what Obs could do with it.

I think Assassin's Creed is around 1100's.

I'd like to second WWII. But with Mutant Nazi Zombie Werewolves.

Oops, I meant Assassin's Creed 2.

If we are talking RPG-settings I would love to see Shadowrun get new game...

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

Shadowrun?

The only Shadowrun I know is the pencil and paper one. :geek:

But to have a computer game version would be cool. If it's the one I'm thinking about.

BGIII. eh? I hope so. Please let there be a Mac version of it. :wacko:

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

Shadowrun?

The only Shadowrun I know is the pencil and paper one. :lol:

But to have a computer game version would be cool. If it's the one I'm thinking about.

It's the shame one actually. The SNES game was based on it, the XBOX360 game was loosely based on it (it was a multiplayer shooter that basically piled players to fight each other and there was no RP elements whatsoever). If you've got an SNES emulator and have no problem playing a 16 year old game, I would strongly suggest giving Shadowrun a try. It is definitely a better setting than it gets credit for.