Installation Trouble

Scoot

Hi. I have tried installing KotOR 2 many times now, but it isn't working. What's odd is that I've installed it before and played through without any problems. I can get to the 2nd or 3rd disk in the installation when it says this: "The wrong disk is in the drive. Please insert KOTOR2_1 into drive D:." I've tried inserting disk one, I've tried not doing anything, and I've tried inserting the next disk, none of which works. Every time, I get this: "Error number: 0x80040707 Description:DLL function call crashed: ISRT._WaitOnDiolog Setup will now terminate". I being a mental defect when it comes to computers, have no idea to what's going on. If anyone can help me out, maybe even with some step by step instructions, would be fantastic. And to refute a couple possibilities, it's not the disks, they're extremely clean. And it's not the fact that it's a laptop, as it's worked on this computer before. All I know about this computer is that it's a Dell Latitude D600(I'm reading even that off my computer). I will most likely not understand anything remotely close to technical terms. Thanks.

Hi. I have tried installing KotOR 2 many times now, but it isn't working. What's odd is that I've installed it before and played through without any problems. I can get to the 2nd or 3rd disk in the installation when it says this: "The wrong disk is in the drive. Please insert KOTOR2_1 into drive D:." I've tried inserting disk one, I've tried not doing anything, and I've tried inserting the next disk, none of which works. Every time, I get this: "Error number: 0x80040707 Description:DLL function call crashed: ISRT._WaitOnDiolog Setup will now terminate". I being a mental defect when it comes to computers, have no idea to what's going on. If anyone can help me out, maybe even with some step by step instructions, would be fantastic. And to refute a couple possibilities, it's not the disks, they're extremely clean. And it's not the fact that it's a laptop, as it's worked on this computer before. All I know about this computer is that it's a Dell Latitude D600(I'm reading even that off my computer). I will most likely not understand anything remotely close to technical terms. Thanks.

Ok.

I'm going to assume you've had it installed on that computer before, and then uninstalled it, without doing a reformat (completely wiping everything off your computer then reinstalling factory software and programs).

If this is the case, and if I were you, I would try completely RIDDING my computer of any and all KOTOR related files.

1. Delete anything your computer's registry that relates to KOTOR. To do this: Start Menu -> Run -> Type "regedit" -> Search through all the drop down menus under Software or anything that might contain files relating to KOTOR 2. *** BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO NOT DELETE ANYTHING BESIDES THE GAME RELATED FILES ***.

2. Go into your program files and search for files relating to KOTOR 2. To access program files, go to my computer, click on your C: Drive (So that it displays all the files on your hard drive), and then click on Program Files. In the Program Files folder, search for things like "Obsidian Entertainment" "Lucas Arts" or *maybe* "Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords". It will be files like this that contain files related to KOTOR 2. DELETE ANYTHING RELATED TO KOTOR 2. ANYTHING.

3. The third and final step I can think of in this process is to: Start Menu -> Run -> Type "%appdata%". Delete anything related to KOTOR 2. This includes files that may be titled Obsidian or Lucas Arts (If you don't have any other Star Wars games on your computer, LUCAS ARTS will only contain stuff related to KOTOR 2, which it then should be deleted. If you have other Star Wars games, be careful not to delete files related to them).

4. Empty your recycle bin. If you feel the need do a defragmentation, and then a disc cleanup. Both are accessed from Start -> Control panel -> System and Maintenance. Before you try to install the game, restart the laptop.

This is what I would try. Also, run a search for Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords a after all this, if any files are found, delete them.

Good luck, and I hope this works. If it doesn't, I'm afraid I have exhausted my ideas.

-Albion72.

Thanks. I'll try it. And should I delete all the KotOR 1 files I find as well? Or does that not make a difference?

Hmm. I don't think so. If only KOTOR 2 is having installation problems, then only delete files related to KOTOR 2. :).

Let me know if it works, if it doesn't, I'll think of something else to try. (At least I will try to think of something else). I'd hate to know someone out there couldn't play KOTOR 2. :aiee: Its such a great game.

I couldn't find any folders, files, etc. of KotOR 2. Only KotOR 1. If you can think of any other ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Hmm, not even in all the places I said to look??? I find this odd seeing as the game has been installed on your computer before...

I will need some time to think on this.

I couldn't find any folders, files, etc. of KotOR 2. Only KotOR 1. If you can think of any other ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Hmm, not even in all the places I said to look??? I find this odd seeing as the game has been installed on your computer before...

I will need some time to think on this.

Ok. I think the reason there are no files anywhere is because my computer "crashed". Some files were deleted from random places, and all my saves on KotOR 2 were also gone. The next time I turned the computer on, KotOR 2 wasn't there at all.

IT WORKS!!! I have no idea how it works all of a sudden, but it does! It was one of those things where you're about to give up and it works on your last try. 5th time I tried installing it it finished. I'm almost definitely wrong about how it might have worked, but I'll say it anyway. When the message that says I need to change the disk when I shouldn't change the disk came up, so did the one telling me to insert the 3rd disk. So once I clicked OK for the 3rd disk. It was fine. The same thing happened when it finished and it told me to insert the play disk. There was also a message with the "send error report" "don't send error report" thing up half the time, but I decided to ignore it because I could see it was still installing. It just disappeared when the installation finished. Thanks Albion for taking time to give me advice.

-Scoot