Is Metal Gear Solid 4 any good?

Morgoth

Never played any of these games, but I recently tried the MGS4 demo and well... it didn't really tell me much. Good production values, and some good sneaking. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but I don't understand these ravenous high scores the series gets. Or maybe it's just the demo that sucks?

Can anyone comment how good the full version is? Thanks.

What, don't you like MOVIES! That force the play to indulge in the designers wet dream? *pish* call yourself a gamer...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

well if you liked and could get into the previous ones 4 is good. however if you didn't then don't get it. It is a cutscene fest, my first playthrough was closing in on 15 hrs (I think) my second one was closer to 7. (skipping cutscenes and knowing where everything is, mainly cutscenes).

There is one entire act devoted to nostalgia if you really want.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I can't really see anyone who is not already a fan getting much out of this. You should probably just wait for Nightshapes awesome game.

Yeah, I wonder what this might be? Colin McRae "The RPG"?

YEEEAAAH YEEEAAAHH YEAAAAAAH! WTF?

I actually like metal gear, I was in a very sarcastic mood last night

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I don't understand why everyone is so down on MGS4. Sure the story is a bit crazy and it's got pretty long cut-scenes (don't remember a 90 minute one though), but the story-telling is great. There are different kind of games, some of them are cinematic with cut-scenes and some are platformers with zero story.

I think MGS4 was a great game. If you don't like cut-scene heavy narrative-driven stealth-action game then you might not like it. But it is worth giving it a try.

It is much better if you have played the previous games, though.

The problem is, I can't endure games that even feature cutscenes longer than 2-3 min. And what use do I have if I skip through all MGS4 cutscenes? Wouldn't I miss out the story completely?

Yes you would miss the story. The cut-scenes are a very important part of the MGS4 experience. If you can't stand long cut-scenes then stay the hell away from this game, it is the king of cut-scenes.

the story-telling is great

No. The potential is there, but it takes itself too goddamn serious. It also has so much plot twists that you just caring about the story. Why bother if everything you know is a lie and the next cutscene is going to change pretty much everything?

20795.jpg

Bah. If I could, I'd cut all cutscenes out of the gaming scene!

Do you still watch movies? They are like really long cutscenes. Can't you enjoy a cutsceny game for its cinematic value?

Sure I like movies, but I don't have the patience for watching 90 min long cutscenes in a GAME! What if I only want to play quickly a mission? I want to have control over how I play my games, and how much time I can spend with it.

Bah. If I could, I'd cut all cutscenes out of the gaming scene!

Do you still watch movies? They are like really long cutscenes. Can't you enjoy a cutsceny game for its cinematic value?

Sure I like movies, but I don't have the patience for watching 90 min long cutscenes in a GAME! What if I only want to play quickly a mission? I want to have control over how I play my games, and how much time I can spend with it.

Well that is the problem. To enjoy MGS4 you need to transcend the "but it's a game" mentality just like in Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment when you have a long dialog it's like reading a book. MGS4 is an experience, you have to immerse yourself into it, play the game sections and watch the cut-scene sections. Otherwise it is not worth it.

H

It has some of the best production values of any game, ever. But yes, it also has cutscenes that account for about half the "playing" time. Unfortunately the story will be too dense to understand unless you played Metal Gear Solid 2 and probably MGS1 as well. If you want to catch up on the storyline, you can read this FAQ:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/914828/35568

But it might take a while. >_<

MGS3: Subsistance is probably the high point of the series, if you're looking for a jumping-on point. It's actually the very first game in the series chronologically speaking (it's a prequel to everything else), so it's not quite as dense with backstory as MGS2 or MGS4 are. There are still some pretty long cutscenes, but the story is engaging and it has one of the best female characters to ever appear in a game.

Matthew Rorie

I don't understand why everyone is so down on MGS4.

The MGS series is one of my favourite ever, and I love MGS4, but I stand by my comment that I can't really see anyone who is not already a fan getting much out of this. You'll be missing out on the story if you skip the cutscenes, but you'll also be missing out on a hell of a lot if you haven't played the other three games.

I never had a problem with the cutscenes, but many in MGS4 did have my wanting a fast forward button. Though it makes cutscenes in other games seem pretty crappy in comparison.

And the combination of seriousness and craziness is all part of its charm.

It's time to change the disc Snake.

What?

Oh that's right, we're on Blu-Ray now.

It's not on my "must play now" list, but surely I consider myself lucky that I got it so cheaply.

@Matthew

Thanks for the link, but phew... Between Metal Gear REX, Big Boss and the Patriots, I got a bit lost. So I'll just have to enjoy the game without super-detailed background knowledge I guess.

Once you accept that nanobots are behind everyhing, it will all be okay.

Started playing today. Funny installation process. All these health warnings, while Snake is laxly smoking. And what a weird intro: Quiz show, followed by hot chicks and tentacle monsters....ugh. Anyway, these mechs that made "moohh" (why did they make mooh?) were really rad. The controls are also very good, the sneaking works and makes fun. So far, so good.