Games with good atmosphere

Slowtrain

So, I've been playing Far Cry 2 a lot for the last month or so. Its not a great game, really, but the sense of atmosphere the game has really makes up for a lot of faults (at least for me).

Anyway, I appear to be drawing near the end of the game, and I am looking for another game that has a really well done and powerful atmosphere to it. By which I mean, the gameworld has a sense of place and time that is very strongly realized; the sense of being in an existing world is very strong. I'm curious if any of you have any particular games that you felt worked very well along those lines. It doesn't matter what place and time the atmosphere is. It could be a futuristic city or a medieval countryside or whatever. Some examples I can think of that I have played would be Thief, Fallout, System Shock 2, and STALKER.

Do you guys have any personal favorites that you would recommend?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Did you pick up Fallout 3 yet, because that is my most recent one. I like the lights off and the headphones on when patrolling the wastes.

I also found Fable 2 to be fairly atmospheric and original, although it wears a bit thin after a couple hours. I'd probably say something similar for Bioshock.

LotR Online has done a phenomenal job of bringing the books and movies to life for me. Entering the Mines of Moria was one of the best moments I've had in a game in awhile.

I plan on picking up Farcry 2 down the line as well. I'm really excited to explore the Savannah of Africa, and I hear they nailed it.

In the past, Wing Commander Games always drew me in. The ship combat and good cinematics were great.

There's an old adventure game called The Last Express. The whole game takes place on a train, in real time, with people walking back and forth and interacting regardless of whether you're there to see it, and even with dated graphics if you play it long enough you'll feel like you're on that train.

Dead Space.

I think there is a lack of atmosphere in space. Even on board a ship it is limited. Of course if one was close to a planet there might be some atmosphere there. Hopefully a nice Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere with just the right mixture to support human life.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I plan on picking up Farcry 2 down the line as well. I'm really excited to explore the Savannah of Africa, and I hear they nailed it.

Definitely. The art director and some of the developers spent a couple weeks in Kenya and it shows. Big time. Some of the design decisions however are really disappointing. Its a little bizarre that they would work so hard to get one aspect of the game so spot on, then just kick the can on so much other stuff. Still, I can wander around unfettered in the bush for hours though, so there's still some good.

Good atmosphere goes miles towards making a game playable for me though. VIsuals obviously, but also ambient sound, background music, accents and languages. WHen a gameworld and its environement really feels solid, I can forgive an awful lot. There's a certain pleasure to had just kind of rolling around in a well-created world even if some of the stuff that happens in it is kinda meh.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well since you mention System Shock 2.. Bioshock has a lot of that and some really dreadful places, that can somewhat easily, unfortunately, get lost in a bit of too fast paced action and respawning. Some of the older Adventure Games too, like Zork Nemesis and Myst, while I wasn't too exited about the puzzles there are a lot of dark atmosphere in those games.. or were.. it's been so long.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Well since you mention System Shock 2.. Bioshock has a lot of that and some really dreadful places, that can somewhat easily, unfortunately, get lost in a bit of too fast paced action and respawning. Some of the older Adventure Games too, like Zork Nemesis and Myst, while I wasn't too exited about the puzzles there are a lot of dark atmosphere in those games.. or were.. it's been so long.

Bioshock is kind of an odd game for me as far as atmosphere goes. It certainly looks striking. And, especially if you like the artistic style of the visuals, that can certainly hold a lot of appeal. But for me, the game never really FELT like it was in an underwater city for the most part. There were a few times, especially toward the beginning, where the underwater aspect of the gameworld was made more obvious, but for the most part I tended to toatally forget that I was underwater. I think they really missed the boat (so to speak) on untilizing an underwater enviorment to any real effect.

When I think cool underwater stuff what comes to mind is the underwater level of Deus Ex. THAT was sweet. What an amazing game. SO much variety. And so well utilized.

AVP 1, AVP 2

Graphics are a bit outdated, but still... :)

I never played 2, but iirc 1 was really atmospheric. It was like being right in the movie. It was also dang hard, too.

Call of duty is really atmospheric. and if we want to delve into the RTS genre C&C3 had a feeling of tenseness to it, Red Alert 3 not so much.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think there are few games that I can think of which you either haven't played yet or hasn't been mentioned yet.

A few personal favourites when it comes to atmosphere:

Classics:

Lords of Midnight - The game that got me hooked on immersive, vast and open ended (sandbox) type games. Has been a bit hard to find in stores since 1984-85 though.

Alternate Reality - Large, ambitious crpg project that unfortunatly crashed and burned after the first expansion (or was it the second) of seven planned expansions to the core game was released. Has been out of print since 1985 too :)

New games

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Top of the crop. The game almost drips atmosphere.

Other new games

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., The Witcher EE, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1, etc.

I might come back and add more later as my memory gets a bit of exercise.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

AVP 1, AVP 2

The man tells the truth!!!

Alien versus Predator 1 wins the "Best Atmosphere Ever Award" in a FPS game...

AVP 1, AVP 2

I never played 2, but iirc 1 was really atmospheric. It was like being right in the movie. It was also dang hard, too.

AvP 2 was imo not so good as AvP 1, but i still can recommend it to you, just dont play it on hardest difficulty when you play it for the first time :)

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I never played 2, but iirc 1 was really atmospheric. It was like being right in the movie.
Fortunately, I didn't feel like I was in the AVP movie, instead, I found the game great :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

The NOLF games have some awesome set pieces that make you feel like you're there. The airplane and the boat from the first game were highlights for me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: